Help! 5 blade propeller?

mrjdstewart

Legendary member
sure your not looking for a 4" with a 5" pitch and 3 blades (ie 4x5x3?)

i seriously doubt you will find a 5 blade prop that small, maybe but it will take some looking.

good luck,

me :cool:

Battery800

Elite member
I’m trying to make the 13th squadron dc-3, but modifying it to look like the basler bt-67 turbo modification, which has 5 blade propeller

TheFlyingBrit

Legendary member
I have never come across a 5 bladed prop, 4 yes but not a 5 and if memory serves me right the 4 bladed props I have seen are quite big.

quorneng

Master member
Battery800
Your best bet is to search for racing drone propellers. They are small and can have multi blades but 5 is very rare so the chance it might be suitable for your specific need are small indeed.
Either pick something else to build or find a suitable prop and then design the plane to suit.
Which is exactly what I did with the four blade prop I found and used to build the AN2 in my avatar!
05Jan19c.JPG

jtuttle11

That doesn't make sense. x3 infers a 3 bladed prop....
The numbers given for propellers are usually for the diameter and pitch. The diameter is self explanatory, It's the length of the propeller from 'tip to tip' The pitch of the propeller indicates the distance the propeller will move forward in 1 full revolution.

Ketchup

4s mini mustang
The numbers given for propellers are usually for the diameter and pitch. The diameter is self explanatory, It's the length of the propeller from 'tip to tip' The pitch of the propeller indicates the distance the propeller will move forward in 1 full revolution.
Yes but the third number is amount of blades. A 5x4x3 prop is a 5x4 3 bladed prop.

jtuttle11

With all due respect you might consider giving it up on this search. Do you plan on submitting this plane to a scale competition?
I did a little reading up on propellers and the number of blades it seems is in correlation to the torque of the engine. There are a lot of really cool videos on propellers on YouTube.

I did a little reading up on propellers and the number of blades it seems is in correlation to the torque of the engine. There are a lot of really cool videos on propellers on YouTube.
Hey that's interesting. Seems to make sense. Like American muscle cars vs the cars the young people are driving today. Lower rpm & huge displacement vs very high rpm in a little engine. The big displacement engines - high torque on the driveshaft - would push a heavy muscle car as fast or faster than the light high end European sports cars with high-rev engines.

So high torque engines could spin more blades at a slower speed to get the same thrust.
Another factor was clearance to the deck. Like the Corsair using a four blade prop to keep the diameter smaller.