500 size UH-1C Huey - 174th AHC

F106DeltaDart

Elite member
Thanks! Just got it all fixed up today. Got some 5/16 aluminum tube from the hobby shop, and tube bender from Lowes and whipped up a few spare skid tubes. Now all I need is for the wind to die down a bit, and for my new batteries to arrive!

Namactual

Elite member
That just looks downright cool! (y)
One of these days I am going to get myself a heli.

P.S. I did not forget about the Kiowa crew, I just have been busy on other things. I plan to get back to it this week.

F106DeltaDart

Elite member
That just looks downright cool! (y)
One of these days I am going to get myself a heli.

P.S. I did not forget about the Kiowa crew, I just have been busy on other things. I plan to get back to it this week.
Thanks Nam! No problem on the Kiowa crew. I've barely had time to work on the fuselage, and at the moment, the cockpit detail is a while out from being completed.

F106DeltaDart

Elite member
A few shots of the Huey in the air over BEST (Best Electrics in South Texas). Still need to add bench seats and the door gunners, but she's pretty close to finished now!

F106DeltaDart

Elite member
A few more photos from flying yesterday:
BB2978A2-D12D-4E49-A561-627534BEC77B.jpeg

6D8DF3D6-467F-47B1-B719-55EB523E08D0.jpeg

9C75BE23-CA43-4B90-890A-676BCB8D3C25.jpeg

06CACB9B-EBB9-4A75-8307-EEF21D18E0F1.jpeg

E88EE685-CA59-448B-9E13-56A6CE683E59.jpeg

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
If it wasnt for the T bar on the rotor head you wouldnt be able to tell that was a model with proper depth of field manipulation in those pictures.

Btw nice set up on the head. Not one wobble on run up. It seems it might be a touch tail heavy? With subtle lurching after a turn to get it moving again?

F106DeltaDart

Elite member
If it wasnt for the T bar on the rotor head you wouldnt be able to tell that was a model with proper depth of field manipulation in those pictures.

Btw nice set up on the head. Not one wobble on run up. It seems it might be a touch tail heavy? With subtle lurching after a turn to get it moving again?
Thanks Psy! It’s actually balanced a tad nose heavy, which took a LOT of lead under the pilot seats. The lurches were more my fault, I was trying to slow up for a low speed to hovering flyby, and slowed a bit too much. That’s why some turns look smooth, and only a few having lurching. Oddly enough, although I get minimal vibes starting on our fabric runway and grass, I get a pretty nasty vibe at about 75% rpm during spoolup flying off another fields paved runway. It goes away after RPM builds past about 85%. Seems that I’m exciting a fuselage resonance mode with the stiffer feedback. One suggestion over on another forum was to add a second set of mounts to the mechanics on the top side of the airframe. This changes the boundary conditions on both the fuselage and mechanics, and will hopefully bring that natural frequency out of the normal operations.

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Maybe look at the landing skids when the wobbles start on hard surfaces. If they flex from the spool up torque allowing the whole airframe to do the twisty dance that could simultate a resonance.

You dont see any resonance in that same power range at idle up when flying do you. (Assuming you fly scale at 80-90% throttle)

I guess it depends if your tail rocks side to side or if it pitches up and down in the resonance phase of spooling.

F106DeltaDart

Elite member
Yesterday, I put in 2 flights on the Huey and had a very close call. On the 2nd flight of the day, the tail started acting up. I got into a hover about 1-2 inches off the runway before it went into an uncontrollable yaw. I hit throttle cut, and there was no damage at all. On further inspection, the tail servo (MKS DS8910A+) was very jerky, and would randomly stick at certain spots. Guess its time for a replacement. I'm going to steal the one from the Apache so that I can have it ready for Helis Over Apache Pass this weekend.

F106DeltaDart

Elite member
Thanks Psy, was definitely a nice sunny day! There was pretty nasty direct crosswind (~15mph) that was keeping many of the fixed wing models on the ground. The Huey took the breeze without any issues, its quickly becoming one of my favorite models to fly!

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Well deserved brother! You put a lot of effort into that bird and had a few hard knocks on the way. Its earned its reward in my book.