50mm EDF Delta

JustPlaneChris

Dang, sorry about the lawn dart tendency but it sounds like you're going to sort it out. I assume you're going to just raise the aft end of the thrust tube a bit?

For sure, CG is not an issue with these things. Mine has the battery pretty much as far back as it can go, and I'd like it to go back a bit more. I stacked things on it as I built and checked the CG, but it got heavier up front anyway. :rolleyes:

Chris

JustPlaneChris

I snuck out to the field today after lunch for a couple of quick flights on the (as yet unnamed) delta to test a couple of things:

1. I noticed that my exhaust outlet was bigger than the Viper (also 50mm) so I calculated it again and realized it was over 90% FSA. I printed a reducer to bring it down to 85% and stuck it on for a flight. BIG difference in speed! It brought it up on par with the Viper, still running 3S on a 4S-kv motor.
2. 4S. Holy smokes. Toss it for launch? Nah, just let it go! It's not a lot faster than 3S, but the vertical is unlimited. Straight up till you can't see it. :eek:
Of course then I had to try the Viper on 4S, and the results were pretty similar. Not a lot faster, but the vertical... oh my.
Honestly, I don't know that I'll fly either of them on 4S all the time, it's massive overkill. Sure is fun though. :LOL:

Chris

Attachments

• vipernozzle.jpg
    vipernozzle.jpg
    113.9 KB · Views: 0

JustPlaneChris

Got in a quick flight today! The trip to the field was supposed to be the maiden of the Grifflyer F-22 I just finished, but it had a servo issue so that didn't happen. I had to fly something to make the trip worthwhile, so the Delta went up.

Here's a pic of the F-22 with the Delta at the field. This thing needs a better name than "the Delta", so I'm open to suggestions.
smile.gif

Chris

Attachments

• F-22andDelta.jpg
    F-22andDelta.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 0

Matthewdupreez

Legendary member
Got in a quick flight today! The trip to the field was supposed to be the maiden of the Grifflyer F-22 I just finished, but it had a servo issue so that didn't happen. I had to fly something to make the trip worthwhile, so the Delta went up.

Here's a pic of the F-22 with the Delta at the field. This thing needs a better name than "the Delta", so I'm open to suggestions.
smile.gif

Chris
Dolly

OliverW

Legendary member

smile.gif

Chris
You should call it Harold

JustPlaneChris

Harold and Dolly! You guys are funny. :)
Over on RCG it was suggested "The Hustler", but I may go with "Scooter" since it really scoots on 4s! I did a doppler analysis of one of the full throttle flybys on that video and it worked out to 68 mph. Not bad for a chunk of foam board.

Chris

Homey

Elite member

smile.gif

Chris
Chrisper

Harold and Dolly! You guys are funny. :)
Over on RCG it was suggested "The Hustler", but I may go with "Scooter" since it really scoots on 4s! I did a doppler analysis of one of the full throttle flybys on that video and it worked out to 68 mph. Not bad for a chunk of foam board.

Chris
Scooter fits (as in a kid's nickname!). I was thinking of Stubby.
Just caught your video, great flight! Well flown, nicely maneuverable. From here it does seem to want to slide sideways in the turns (?) or tend to yaw sometimes as you roll, but I won't pretend I know what I'm talking about. :p That little jet is a big success.
And that landing is impossible to beat!

JustPlaneChris

Stubby is a good name too! Deltas in general fly differently from regular models. It's hard to describe the difference, but they just have a different "feel". I don't notice any great tendency to drop the nose during turns, but I'm sure I could fine tune the yaw/roll coupling with some differential in the elevons. I just haven't bothered. :)

It's VERY easy to land, it makes me look good. :LOL:

Chris

BlockerAviation

Legendary member
Stubby is a good name too! Deltas in general fly differently from regular models. It's hard to describe the difference, but they just have a different "feel". I don't notice any great tendency to drop the nose during turns, but I'm sure I could fine tune the yaw/roll coupling with some differential in the elevons. I just haven't bothered. :)

It's VERY easy to land, it makes me look good. :LOL:

Chris
Deltas, especially edf deltas are a ton of fun, they just go where you point them and don't stall and drop a wing tip. My favorite edf right now is my 64mm free wing p15 that is about the same size as you home built. It's a dream to fly! I'm thinking about making a delta like yours as a backup. I haven't read through the thread yet so forgive me for asking, have you made plans for it or are you like me and design as you go?
Here's the p15
IMG_20210515_002345869.jpg

BlockerAviation

Legendary member
That's a cool looking model! No plans, but I did start with the Flite Test 'Simple Delta' for the basic size and wing structure. From there, it's all made up as I built. :)
Thanks! Your's looks great too! I think I'm just going to take the dimensions off of my my store bought delta and go from there. I still have to get an edf though, all of mine are tied up in other projects like my jet gee bee.

FlyerInStyle

Elite member
As luck would have it the weather did break this afternoon! Seeing as how it's also my birthday, there is no way I wasn't going to the field today. I loaded up the car with the "Blow Dryer Brigade" and headed out. The winds were not favorable but I've never really been afraid to fly in the wind. :)

The first flight was really uneventful! My lovely bride accompanied me to the field, and did the honors of the first toss. :love: I did put in too much reflex when I set it up (I guessed wrong), so I ran out of down trim. No big deal. The fan I'm using is really a 4S unit, but I was flying on 3S so performance was pretty mild. Overall though, I'd consider it a success! Gotta love $2 airframes. :sneaky:

I apologize for the focus issues. I just stuck my iPhone on my hat with some popsicle sticks and velcro, and having never really done much video with it I didn't know to set the focus lock. :rolleyes: I think part of my thrown together rig was covering the mic too. But hey, you'll get the idea of how it flew. :p

Chris
how did you make that rig? any pics? I want to make one.

Deltas, especially edf deltas are a ton of fun, they just go where you point them and don't stall and drop a wing tip. My favorite edf right now is my 64mm free wing p15 that is about the same size as you home built. It's a dream to fly! I'm thinking about making a delta like yours as a backup. I haven't read through the thread yet so forgive me for asking, have you made plans for it or are you like me and design as you go?
Here's the p15 View attachment 202092
If you build that sort of thing out of foam I want to see how (or if) you handle those intakes. I'm thinking about a different plane with a similar structure. It might have to be just a triangle-box of foamboard...

JustPlaneChris

Hah, OK. The one I used in the first video was super crude. The one I used in the last video was something I 3D printed, but it didn't work as-printed, so I modified it with some popsicle sticks. You should be able to get the general idea, it's a pretty simple concept.

I've done things like that before, but making sure the framing is correct was always the challenge. With an iPhone and Apple Watch, that's super easy since you can remotely view and control the phone camera from the watch!

Chris

Attachments

• hatcam1.jpg
    hatcam1.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
  • hatcam2.jpg
    hatcam2.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0

Matthewdupreez

Legendary member
Hah, OK. The one I used in the first video was super crude. The one I used in the last video was something I 3D printed, but it didn't work as-printed, so I modified it with some popsicle sticks. You should be able to get the general idea, it's a pretty simple concept.

I've done things like that before, but making sure the framing is correct was always the challenge. With an iPhone and Apple Watch, that's super easy since you can remotely view and control the phone camera from the watch!

Chris
PLEASE DON'T TELL ME YOU PUT YOUR IPHONE ON THE PLANE:cautious: