• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

50mm EDF up in flames.

okisub

It vanished before my eyes :(

The fire was caused by the ESC burning out.. I was using the stock 20Amp with a 4s. It had done dozens of flights on it before but always thought it had to have been on the limit.

The lipo's popping at about 1:40 make some pretty nice fire balls!

It was a great jet while it lasted. Hitting HK soon for another EDF.

bicyclemonkey

Flying Derp
Mentor
That...was AWESOME! Did anyone bring marshmallows?

Oh, your lipo's a little puffy, you may not want to use that one anymore :)

Last edited:

ananas1301

Crazy flyer/crasher :D
poor jet ....

Half the plane looked nice at the beginning and I though why do you laugh and don´t do anything?

I would´ve tried to get some stuff out of it. Receiver or motor of whatever possible without burning my fingers.

colorex

Rotor Riot!
Mentor
It looked far better when I threw like 1/2 gallon of gasoline into a fire (still in the plastic bottle), two seconds, a whoosh sound and a 3-4 meter fireball!! Don't tell my mom though! :)

okisub

poor jet ....

Half the plane looked nice at the beginning and I though why do you laugh and don´t do anything?

I would´ve tried to get some stuff out of it. Receiver or motor of whatever possible without burning my fingers.
The canopy was taped on with micropore tape, so I wouldn't have got anything out in time. Plus the risk of the lipo blowing as I was pulling things out wasn't worth the risk over a $10 corona 4 channel Rx or $10 lipo. All there was to do was sit and watch the show.

okisub

How did you land it? Did the fire start in the air or on the ground?
It was carrying a fair bit of speed when the motor cut out, so I just turned and brought it down gently as I could. Luckily I still had control and the ESC's bec didnt die as well.
I've blown 2 fans in it before and landed smoothly both times as well, you just have to bring them in a bit hot (lol).

I only noticed the smoke as I was walking over to it. Flames mid air would have been spectacular but I wouldn't have caught a video of that.

jetpackninja

More combat please...
Mentor
NICE! You can fly with us anytime!
First rule of our club is if you are going to crash get it on video!
Good job! You are an honorary UFO!