55mm EDF unit in SkyAngel 50mm EDF's-seeking ESC advice

earthsciteach

Hey, guys. I acquired this EDF unit a few weeks ago: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=6566

I'm installing it in my stock 50mm Mig-15. Once again, my lack of wattmeter is biting me in the backside. I would like to power it with a 4s battery. I have a 25 amp esc laying around that I can use. I THINK it will be ok, given the published amperage for 10 and 11 volt, but that is just a gut feeling. The stock motor does fine with a 20 amp esc and 4s battery. Anyone have thoughts on a 25 amp esc with an 850 mah, 4s spinning the 4300 on a 55mm unit?
Thanks!

lobstermash

Propaganda machine
Mentor
I'd play it safe and use a 30A Plush - it's about the same size as most 20A ESCs and can handle some pretty serious current. I reckon (educated guess) that you'll be pulling about 24-26A with a 4s and stock motor (it's a good little motor!).

earthsciteach

FYI - A 25 amp esc does NOT work with a 4s battery and the stock 4300 kv motor that comes in the SkyAngel 50 milimeter edfs. As it is the end of the school year, after collecting textbooks, I decided to smoke test the 25 amp esc with the 4s. It definitely smoked! The damned thing looked like it was made of magnesium. At half throttle for no more than 5 seconds, the esc melted down and filled my room with smoke. I quickly unplugged the battery and RX and tossed it out the window. That's the second time I've melted down a 25 amp esc at school. Luckily, no fire alarm has gone off, yet.

colorex

Rotor Riot!
Mentor
Of course, the ESC must be made for 4S or it won't take the voltage. My Red Brick 25Amp ESC, for example, only takes 2S and 3S.