59" Span Grumman G-164B AgCat

RedTwilight

I guess I'll start a thread for my build of a foam 1/8.5 scale Grumman G-164B AgCat.
I chose this scale a couple years ago roughly based on the Dynam AgWagon. Yeah, I have a thing for my models being relatively the same scale. Though I have also enlarged the plans to 1/5 scale for a future build depending on needed changes to this one.

I will somewhat model this after my cousins crop duster that features the lengthened wings with Hershey tips and extended tail.
So far I plan to go with the turbine nose to aid with C.G. balancing. But I could change my mind and go to a Radial engine.

RedTwilight

As mentioned previously, I drew up the plans a few years ago. The wingspan for this scale will be 59 inches on the top wing.

I'm still debating on exactly how I will build the wings, so in the mean while I began cutting and assembling the fuselage.
I have been trying to keep the back half on the lighter side in case I do decide to go the Radial engine design.

Last edited:

Tench745

Master member
Personally, I prefer the Ag Cat over the Turbo Ag Cat. If you can manage the radial, I support it. :D
Looking pretty good so far!

RedTwilight

Personally, I prefer the Ag Cat over the Turbo Ag Cat. If you can manage the radial, I support it. :D
Looking pretty good so far!

I guess you're in luck! We're all in luck! Well maybe not myself; for I have decided to build the above one with the radial, and a second one with the turbine nose.

I actually started to build this one a couple years ago. But I put it and RC mostly aside when I got heavy into drag racing. The other reason was this one is going to have a lot more scale detail than the other one.
I started on the above (now radial) version as a "semi-quick" build so that I could have an AgCat flying this year.
But maybe I will sacrifice some of the scale details so that I can have 2 version in the air this year!
And then... onto the 1/5 scale 101" span version!!!