59 year old newbie - adding more planes

Wildthing

Legendary member
Thanks @Wildthing, you are right. I do have 2 settings for high low throws set up on my tx, I just didn't think about it. I will try to remember next time to set it to the low settings at first.

I have thumped a lot of planes by having the throws to high then over correcting when you get into a jam . Keep some in the bag though so you do have something when you get into a tight situation.

mayan

Legendary member
Hey @Jimun I watched all your videos sorry it took so long but I was busy. I have one thing to say you rock my friend. Thank you for the wonderful videos, an your wife's halirous commentary. I really think you make a good flying couple. If it makes you feel any better I also had a nasty ass crash today and broke the tail part of the fuselage, that is held in place only by the push rods and control horns, pictures of it soon in the crash support group.

BTW how was shopping?

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
I posted this last night, but here it is again. It didn't go up for some reason, it just sat down in the preview pane.

Here is a group of shorter videos put together on my 1st time on 4 channel. Need to learn about my video program more to transition between clips.

"Actually the aliens landed it." You're flying was awesome, but I've got to be honest. You wife might just be the best commentator in this Forum's history. Her wit is absolutely spot on. You turned a crash into a glorious landing, but it wasn't you. Oh no. It was the "Aliens" that made that happen!

I feel your tribulations trying to fly in that constant wind you've got. You've done 3ch TT. You've done 4ch TT. Everyone says that the bigger birds fly better in the wind. I'm currently building the Simple Scout.

Jimun

Elite member
Hey @Jimun I watched all your videos sorry it took so long but I was busy. I have one thing to say you rock my friend. Thank you for the wonderful videos, an your wife's halirous commentary. I really think you make a good flying couple. If it makes you feel any better I also had a nasty ass crash today and broke the tail part of the fuselage, that is held in place only by the push rods and control horns, pictures of it soon in the crash support group.

BTW how was shopping?
Thanks @mayan. I don't hear everything my wife says until I process the videos and then I get more laughs:LOL:. Glad you and everyone else hear is enjoying the videos. I will try to get her to come out with me more. No shopping yet. I have to check my budget ( count my allowance ) to see what I have to work with. I want to have 2 planes or enough parts to continue flying 4 channel.
I seen your plane pics - ouch - it makes me think of the Flite Test moto - Build, Fly, Crash, Repeat, again and again.

Jimun

Elite member
I posted this last night, but here it is again. It didn't go up for some reason, it just sat down in the preview pane.

"Actually the aliens landed it." You're flying was awesome, but I've got to be honest. You wife might just be the best commentator in this Forum's history. Her wit is absolutely spot on. You turned a crash into a glorious landing, but it wasn't you. Oh no. It was the "Aliens" that made that happen!

I feel your tribulations trying to fly in that constant wind you've got. You've done 3ch TT. You've done 4ch TT. Everyone says that the bigger birds fly better in the wind. I'm currently building the Simple Scout.
Thanks @buzzbomb for your support and comments. I think the camaraderie here is a big part of the fun of flying. I have a FT Simple Scout and an FT Explorer speed build kits I got for Christmas. I plan on putting them together when I get more confident flying the Tiny Trainer. Also I plan on staying with the 4 channel set up and use the 3 channel for back up when necessary:).

Jimun

Elite member
These 2 videos are from my head cam. I missed the first flights - thought I had it on and it wasn't.:unsure: This video starts with the last 4 channel flight and the return to 3 channel flying.

Jimun

Elite member
The one thing I noticed about going from 3 channel flying to 4 channel, it felt like it was going to be very different and a big change. I don't know if that is just me or if others felt unsure taking this step. After flying 4 channel it just seemed like a natural progression because you are still using the right stick to bank your plane to start your turn and to level out. The only caution is that it did seem easier to over bank the plane. I did not try a roll yet - if there is one in the videos it was not planned.:LOL: Thanks to Flite Test and all of you for helping me get this far and I hope I can help others. Another thing I am thinking of doing is making a cheat sheet - a check list - for when I change setups and when I check my CRAP. I need to slow down and not be in a hurry to get back up and miss a setting or damage to my plane and then fly uncontrolled like I did a few times in this series of videos. Had fun and a few good laughs and you to, have fun and a few good laughs:LOL:

Wildthing

Legendary member
Thanks @mayan. I don't hear everything my wife says until I process the videos and then I get more laughs:LOL:. Glad you and everyone else hear is enjoying the videos. I will try to get her to come out with me more. No shopping yet. I have to check my budget ( count my allowance ) to see what I have to work with. I want to have 2 planes or enough parts to continue flying 4 channel.
I seen your plane pics - ouch - it makes me think of the Flite Test moto - Build, Fly, Crash, Repeat, again and again.
We need to get her a better microphone!!!

Wildthing

Legendary member
The one thing I noticed about going from 3 channel flying to 4 channel, it felt like it was going to be very different and a big change. I don't know if that is just me or if others felt unsure taking this step. After flying 4 channel it just seemed like a natural progression because you are still using the right stick to bank your plane to start your turn and to level out. The only caution is that it did seem easier to over bank the plane. I did not try a roll yet - if there is one in the videos it was not planned.:LOL: Thanks to Flite Test and all of you for helping me get this far and I hope I can help others. Another thing I am thinking of doing is making a cheat sheet - a check list - for when I change setups and when I check my CRAP. I need to slow down and not be in a hurry to get back up and miss a setting or damage to my plane and then fly uncontrolled like I did a few times in this series of videos. Had fun and a few good laughs and you to, have fun and a few good laughs:LOL:

Go 3 crashes high and first try a roll with only ailerons and see how it goes. Then try a roll with ailerons and rudder, watch closely because it will act pretty wild. Usually the more throttle or speed the faster the roll so be careful. But first get all your rates dialed in to where you are comfortable and running a nice stable flight.

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
Just got around to watching the other videos you posted. That's some really good flying. The hard crash was uncool. In a parking lot even worse. As we all know, that's part of the fun though. Right? :LOL: You might want to let your wife know that Laguardia probably won't happen in the foreseeable future. Unless the Aliens are flying, then anything is possible!:p

I don't know if you realize this, but you are on the short list of Pilots who inspire. We all whine and complain about a little bit of wind. Then somebody else pops up and basically says "Deal with it if you want to fly." You do just that. Every single flight in some pretty good wind. You are not just flying when it's windy. You are LEARNING to fly. In windy conditions. Every single, frackin' time!

Yes, brother. That IS inspiring. Keep it up and thank you! :)

mayan

Legendary member
Thanks @mayan. I don't hear everything my wife says until I process the videos and then I get more laughs
I know the feeling and my wife’s commentary is not as funny as yours apart from it being in Hebrew so you don’t understand it.

I will try to get her to come out with me more
Good luck with that.

I want to have 2 planes or enough parts to continue flying 4 channel.
I had spares instead of two planes. I looked at what I broke the most and had spares of those.

No worries I need to KO it to get myself to build a new one for myself :).

The only caution is that it did seem easier to over bank the plane.
True, you need to watch not to over bank the plane and make sure to use the elevator to keep the plane leveled so it won’t dive.

Another thing I am thinking of doing is making a cheat sheet - a check list - for when I change setups and when I check my CRAP.
That would be great and I’d recommend you post it here too: https://forum.flitetest.com/index.php?threads/tips-for-a-newbie-experience-talking.58021/

I need to slow down and not be in a hurry to get back up and miss a setting or damage to my plane and then fly uncontrolled like I did a few times in this series of videos.
I second that but sometimes you just get to excited:).

We need to get her a better microphone!!!
Crowd funding for that now :ROFLMAO::LOL::ROFLMAO::LOL::ROFLMAO:

Then try a roll with ailerons and rudder, watch closely because it will act pretty wild.
Will try that, never did that.

You might want to let your wife know that Laguardia probably won't happen in the foreseeable future. Unless the Aliens are flying, then anything is possible!:p
:LOL::ROFLMAO::LOL::ROFLMAO::LOL::ROFLMAO:

Jimun

Elite member
Here is my loose servo wire on my sport wing. I got it fixed and tested. It is working again.:D

Servo Wire.JPG

But then I heard something funny when I tested the elevator.:unsure:

I think I have a bad servo. Am I correct?:(

But I did place an order with Flite Test this morning.
10 Firewalls
4 Servos:D
Receiver - for backup and when I get my speed build kits built
Battery - to replaced the one I crushed.

Now I have to wait till next week or longer - the firewalls are on back order - and they ship when they get those in.:(

But I will FLY AGAIN, YES I WILL, :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:

Wildthing

Legendary member
Here is my loose servo wire on my sport wing. I got it fixed and tested. It is working again.:D

View attachment 128770

But then I heard something funny when I tested the elevator.:unsure:

I think I have a bad servo. Am I correct?:(

But I did place an order with Flite Test this morning.
10 Firewalls
4 Servos:D
Receiver - for backup and when I get my speed build kits built
Battery - to replaced the one I crushed.

Now I have to wait till next week or longer - the firewalls are on back order - and they ship when they get those in.:(

But I will FLY AGAIN, YES I WILL, :ROFLMAO:
Sounds like you stripped some gears in it, time for a new one.

Jimun

Elite member
I don't know if you realize this, but you are on the short list of Pilots who inspire. We all whine and complain about a little bit of wind. Then somebody else pops up and basically says "Deal with it if you want to fly." You do just that. Every single flight in some pretty good wind. You are not just flying when it's windy. You are LEARNING to fly. In windy conditions. Every single, frackin' time!

Yes, brother. That IS inspiring. Keep it up and thank you! :)

Thanks @buzzbomb. If I waited for the perfect calm day I would not get to fly much. So as of a necessity I go out when the breezes are lighter then usual. I live in a pass near Palm Springs, CA, it's about 20 miles east of me and in between is a spot called Windy Point where the Pass narrows down and the wind is squeezed through a funnel like area. There are hundreds of those wind turbines that are spinning just about every day around Palm springs and up to about 4 or 5 miles from me. Today wind is 17mph with gust up to 25mph. Average wind speed here is 11mph. I have been asked by people that come through here if the wind ever stops. I tell them, yes it does right in between the wind changes from blowing east to west. We have a moment of calm air.:LOL: So if I can clock it under 10mph I am going to Fly.

jross

the firewalls are on back order
Get some hobby plywood. Or go to the dollar store and look around the craft section for pieces of thin plywood turned into paintable decorations or whatever. Got me in the air without having to wait a month (I'm in Canada) for my next FT order to arrive. A sharp knife, a drill and some sandpaper and you're good to go. That firewall is still on the plane and working well.

jross

So if I can clock it under 10mph I am going to Fly.
Same situation in our mountains. If it's not blowing upstream or downstream, it's blowing uphill or downhill. I really enjoy the wind. Allows you to play around. Second or third time I flew my Tiny Trainer successfully, I got it stopped in front of me hanging in the wind. That was very cool. Then I crashed it!

Jimun

Elite member
Get some hobby plywood. Or go to the dollar store and look around the craft section for pieces of thin plywood turned into paintable decorations or whatever. Got me in the air without having to wait a month (I'm in Canada) for my next FT order to arrive. A sharp knife, a drill and some sandpaper and you're good to go. That firewall is still on the plane and working well.
Thanks @jross. I have 1 spare power pod with a firewall ready to go and I will reuse the firewall on the crushed one. I have 5 more power pods cut out, just need the firewalls to complete them. I can go fly 3 channel, but I need the spare servos to be able to go back to 4 channel. I plan on working more with the 4 channel before I get my other planes ready.
I also got stuck a few times in the wind and it looked liked it was barely moving. Some times when flying with the wind I check my throttle to make sure I am around 1/2. When I started flying my TT I was going full throttle and had to learn to slow down.

Last edited: