59 year old newbie - adding more planes

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
I did fly it again and only used 3 more props today.
Great videos Jimun! You were cruising around like a pro there for quite a bit in the first one. Those were some hard landings, I'm glad the plane is still airworthy. Your comment above reminded me maybe I better find some spare props to get on order.

And yes, your wife's commentary was pretty awesome. :) I look forward to more videos from the two of you when you fly your crap again. (y)

mayan

Legendary member
Great job @Jimun, you rocked it a few comments that might help out next time.
1) Stabilize the plane and then reduce throttle. It will help you learn how to control the plane better as well as make your crashes softer.
2) When you lose control of the plane also throttle back let the plane balance itself and trust me it will then increase throttle to gain back altitude.
3) If you haven't watched the beginners series I highly recommend you watch it. Here is a link: rc beginners series
4) You mentioned that you need to practice your landings. Well I had a problem with that too. They wy I have learned to land the plane is by reducing the throttle to zero and gliding it down to the ground. Once I got the hang of that I, slowly learned how to control the throttle to so that I can cruise it to a landing.

Also now that you are managing nicely I'd recommend you practice basic patterns to create some thumb memory. Practice doing 8s, that way you get better at turning the plane to whichever side you like.

Your wife's comment are hilarious you got to keep taking her with you. It's makes your videos so much fun to watch. Also saw that you took your dog a long as well how nice.

Keep it up and you'll be doing aerobatics in no time.

P.S. - love the scenery.

Last edited:

d8veh

Elite member
I was thinking the same. I thought you were getting ready to land and a little voice in my head was saying, "Why has he still got full throttle?". With the throttle reduced, the plane will go slower, you have more time to think about what you're doing and the plane is more docile.

I thought that you did really well up to that point.

Try this on the next flight: Bring the plane reasonably close to you, then reduce the throttle until the plane is more or less gliding. When it gets too low, open the throttle to gain some height. See how slow you can fly the plane. Keep doing that while you steer the plane around you. That will get you more in the habit of using the throttle to control the plane.

Last edited:

Jimun

Elite member
You're off and running! Good! One observation: you don't have to go full throttle all the time unless you want to. Especially when it gets wild close to the ground.
Thanks Singshot for the input. I don't realize I am at full throttle. I will practice slowing down.

Jimun

Elite member
Great job @Jimun, you rocked it a few comments that might help out next time.
1) Stabilize the plane and then reduce throttle. It will help you learn how to control the plane better as well as make your crashes softer.
2) When you lose control of the plane also throttle back let the plane balance itself and trust me it will then increase throttle to gain back altitude.
3) If you haven't watched the beginners series I highly recommend you watch it. Here is a link: rc beginners series
4) You mentioned that you need to practice your landings. Well I had a problem with that too. They wy I have learned to land the plane is by reducing the throttle to zero and gliding it down to the ground. Once I got the hang of that I, slowly learned how to control the throttle to so that I can cruise it to a landing.

Also now that you are managing nicely I'd recommend you practice basic patterns to create some thumb memory. Practice doing 8s, that way you get better at turning the plane to whichever side you like.

Your wife's comment are hilarious you got to keep taking her with you. It's makes your videos so much fun to watch. Also saw that you took your dog a long as well how nice.

Keep it up and you'll be doing aerobatics in no time.

P.S. - love the scenery.
Thanks Mayan, Full throttle seems to be a common theme. I will practice reducing throttle. I was trying to practice the figure 8's, (I practice on a simulator), and that is when I get mixed up on the on the controls, I am getting better. I have watched the beginner series, some a few times. I did land once by reducing the throttle and gliding down, but did not get that on video. I was excited that I kept the plane up for 3 minutes on the first flight.
When I watched the videos and heard my wife's comments it made me laugh.

Jimun

Elite member
I was thinking the same. I thought you were getting ready to land and a little voice in my head was saying, "Why has he still got full throttle?". With the throttle reduced, the plane will go slower, you have more time to think about what you're doing and the plane is more docile.

I thought that you did really well up to that point.

Try this on the next flight: Bring the plane reasonably close to you, then reduce the throttle until the plane is more or less gliding. When it gets too low, open the throttle to gain some height. See how slow you can fly the plane. Keep doing that while you steer the plane around you. That will get you more in the habit of using the throttle to control the plane.
Thanks d8veh, I will practice reducing throttle next time out.

Jimun

Elite member
Great videos Jimun! You were cruising around like a pro there for quite a bit in the first one. Those were some hard landings, I'm glad the plane is still airworthy. Your comment above reminded me maybe I better find some spare props to get on order.

And yes, your wife's commentary was pretty awesome. :) I look forward to more videos from the two of you when you fly your crap again. (y)
Thanks buzzbomb, it felt pretty good cruising around. I do have a couple of cracks it the foam to repair and my elevator hinge needs reinforced, it's starting to tear. I ordered 10 props last time used 3 and so I estimate I can go out and fly 2 to 7 more times depending on my crashes, I mean landings.

Last edited:

Jimun

Elite member
I had 2 batteries when I built the TT but I left one in after the maiden flight and drained it to less than 1 volt per cell and it is dead and nonchargeable now. Rookie mistake, thought I would mention it as a reminder for other newbies. Remember to remove, charge and properly store your batteries.

mayan

Legendary member
The full throttle issue came up by everybody because it will help you manage the plane better. Once you reduce throttle you'll understand what we are all talking about. I used to do the same mistake and still do BTW, I too had @d8veh feedback back me about it last time I went flying :)...

kilroy07

Legendary member
Great job! (y)(y)

When I first started I too thought the throttle was a on/off switch. :LOL:
Now TT flies just great at about half throttle, and is happier for it!

I like to put colored packing tape on one wing to help with orientation. It's usually stripes on the left wing or red and green on the leading edges. It's just what works for me. Others suggest turning your back to the plane (when it's coming at you) to help orentate and yet another technique is to move the stick towards the low wing to raise it. Play around with that and just go with which ever one works best for you.

I ran through a TON of props too (6-7 on a good day!) :LOL:
I would say that gets better, but I think I spend more on props and batteries than any other component in this hobby!

The videos are great, not only will you go back and laugh a year or two from now, but it helps others in the community diagnose when you need a helping hand.

Jimun

Elite member
Great job! (y)(y)

When I first started I too thought the throttle was a on/off switch. :LOL:
Now TT flies just great at about half throttle, and is happier for it!

I like to put colored packing tape on one wing to help with orientation. It's usually stripes on the left wing or red and green on the leading edges. It's just what works for me. Others suggest turning your back to the plane (when it's coming at you) to help orentate and yet another technique is to move the stick towards the low wing to raise it. Play around with that and just go with which ever one works best for you.

I ran through a TON of props too (6-7 on a good day!) :LOL:
I would say that gets better, but I think I spend more on props and batteries than any other component in this hobby!

The videos are great, not only will you go back and laugh a year or two from now, but it helps others in the community diagnose when you need a helping hand.

Thanks kilroy07, I just got 2 more sheets of foamboard and some colored electrical tape to mark the wing tips red and green. I am debating on ordering more props from the flitetest store, some of the HQ props are on sale this weekend. 20% off

kilroy07

Legendary member
I am debating on ordering more props from the flitetest store, some of the HQ props are on sale this weekend. 20% off
I'd think about putting some landing gear on it first OR stop "landing" like you did in video #2 :LOL:

Seriously though, I do like to have landing gear on mine, I used the same technique they showed on the Flyer.
(the TT has the same two dowels to mount it to.)

Also chopping the throttle helps as well.

What do you have installed, the "F pack" motor?

Jimun

Elite member
I'd think about putting some landing gear on it first OR stop "landing" like you did in video #2 :LOL:

Seriously though, I do like to have landing gear on mine, I used the same technique they showed on the Flyer.
(the TT has the same two dowels to mount it to.)

Also chopping the throttle helps as well.

What do you have installed, the "F pack" motor?
I will look into the landing gear for the TT. I definitely will work on reducing the throttle. I am using the A pack for the mini's.

Jimun

Elite member
Rain and wind here in So California. No flying :(. I should have time for repairs and maybe mods, thinking landing gear or I might start a new build. If it does clear up and the wind dies down and if it's not to muddy I might go out :cautious:. Next weekend is looking like a possibility.
Santa came early. I got a box full of props, wheels and parts. The props will get me through several more flights of the tiny trainer and the wheels and parts (control horns and firewalls) will help on my next scratch builds.

mayan

Legendary member
I feel you buddy had that a few days back. Damaged a motor last time I went and it was muddy. The motor got full with mud and decided not to spin any more.

d8veh

Elite member
I feel you buddy had that a few days back. Damaged a motor last time I went and it was muddy. The motor got full with mud and decided not to spin any more.
Look on the bright side. It could have been a lot worse. When I used to fly with IC motors. I had a mid-air collision with another guy's plane, which knocked his wings off. His fuselage went down like a javelin, and the nose was buried so deep in the mud (about 300mm) that we had to go and get a spade to dig it out. When we got it out, the carburettor and needle valve had both snapped off so the engine was scrap. His receiver and battery were both smashed beyond recognition too. The plane was very expensive and was specially imported from USA, and it took him about 6 months to build. This was the first time he brought it to the flying field. I felt very sorry for him, but there was nothing I could do. It's one of the hazards of flying at a busy club, where it was normal to have around 12 planes in the air at the same time. My plane was undamaged because we hit wing to wing and my wings were held on by rubber bands. He had nylon bolts, which popped.

When things look bad, just look around. there's always someone worse off than you are.

mayan

Legendary member
@d8veh be sure I had a ahh moment and then burst in laughter... I recked motors and changed them as if they were socks so I got used to not crying about it...

d8veh

Elite member
@d8veh be sure I had a ahh moment and then burst in laughter... I recked motors and changed them as if they were socks so I got used to not crying about it...
Yes, I know. I was thinking, though, that guy lost more in one accident than the average guy flying Flitetest planes would lose in a lifetime.

Here's another story from the same club. I was down there one Saturday when a guy turned up towing a rather large trailer. He wheeled out a 1/4 scale Sopwith Biplane. Large planes like that weren't so common then. Anyway, he got it in the air but didn't seem to want to go more than about 20ft high. Naturally, it wasn't long before he made a mistake and smashed it into the ground. There wasn't much salvageable from the wreck. About half an hour later, he wheeled out a 1/4 scale Fokker Triplane, which suffered a similar fate. About half an hour after that, he wheeled out a 1/3 scale version of the Sopwith and got it as far as the square with the engine running; however, everybody surrounded him and told him not to fly it. Luckily for him and our nerves, he took the advice and wheeled it back to his trailer. That was a very expensive day for him. Apparently, he had a long reputation of flying these big planes close to the ground, so they all had a very short life.

Interestingly, I've flown a lot of different planes - big and small - and I'm having more fun flying these cheap Flitetest planes than anything.

FDS

Elite member
Why would you fly something so massive that low?
I would want to go high enough to appreciate the size a bit and give myself room, you could make a real mess of someone on the ground with an aircraft that size.

d8veh

Elite member
Why would you fly something so massive that low?
I would want to go high enough to appreciate the size a bit and give myself room, you could make a real mess of someone on the ground with an aircraft that size.
It's a mystery. I'd never seen anything like it before nor since. He literally had to keep using up-elevator to hop over the hedges and fences.