59 year old newbie - adding more planes

Jimun

Elite member
Well the wind finally died down and I had some time to take the TT out again. I got it up on the 1st try ( I have been practicing on the simulator) and I flew it into the breeze (less then 5 mph and gust up to 6 to 7 ) and right into the sun and thought I lost it. I was 2 to 3 mistakes high as they say on the videos so when I could see it a couple seconds later I was able to fly it around the field a few times. I was up for a couple of minutes and doing pretty good on recovering from my mistakes until I was to low to recover from a steep turn and corrected the wrong direction and hit the dirt pretty hard. I thought okay I have 1 more prop and I will try again and that is when I seen the motor was not attached to the plane. The Firewall shattered.
Tiny Trainer 011.JPG

I am going to build a new power pod and I just ordered 10 more props so next weekend I can try again.
The motor still works. Yay

Last edited:

mayan

Legendary member
Happy to hear that you had a nice flight and was able to recover from your mistakes. Don’t worry about the firewall breaking happens to me nearly every time I fly.

Jimun

Elite member
Happy to hear that you had a nice flight and was able to recover from your mistakes. Don’t worry about the firewall breaking happens to me nearly every time I fly.
Hi Mayan, I watched your videos and it was like watching myself. I had to find a bigger area like you did, but no grass, just dirt fields that do a little more damage then the grass field I was practicing flying straight and landing.

d8veh

Elite member
Well the wind finally died down and I had some time to take the TT out again. I got it up on the 1st try ( I have been practicing on the simulator) and I flew it into the breeze (less then 5 mph and gust up to 6 to 7 ) and right into the sun and thought I lost it. I was 2 to 3 mistakes high as they say on the videos so when I could see it a couple seconds later I was able to fly it around the field a few times. I was up for a couple of minutes and doing pretty good on recovering from my mistakes until I was to low to recover from a steep turn and corrected the wrong direction and hit the dirt pretty hard. I thought okay I have 1 more prop and I will try again and that is when I seen the motor was not attached to the plane. The Firewall shattered.
That's all part of learning. Great story, though a little sad for you.

One more thing to look out for on a sunny day. If you fly the plane too high, it can disappear. When the sky is blue and clear, one minute you can see the plane, and suddenly, it's gone. It doesn't happen when it's cloudy. It must be something to do with the way your eyes control the light. So always be ready for that when flying high.

Flite Risk

I'm gunna be the grouchy old man because, like most old men I've been there and had reality hit me with a big stick of experience.

I'm still kind of guilty of this but i am getting better at not reinventing the wheel or the FT plane.
While waiting to get my grubby little hands on a plane or still getting to know it I imagine all the ways I will make it better with out having first becoming proficient at flying it.

The punch line of my post is, fly the tiny Trainer stock, get good, no get excellent at flying it like Josh Bx and the other brilliant minds at FTHQ had intended it to be flown then, when you are so good at flying it it is boring then start hoping it up.

I'm not saying never change anything or as you gain experience you should fly every new plane till its boring before unleashing your inner mad scientist on it because as I understand it there is a bell curve one day you will be mod'ing stuff right out of the box. Just get the tiny Trainer mastered.
We will all still be here when its time to do load calcs on a new power plant ;;-)

May your winds be light and it rain when your batteries are charging.

Flite Risk

I forgot to say have fun and as you have problems that turn into questions we are all here for you. This is one of, if not the best community on the net.

And ANd AND get to Flite Fest! Its so wonderful, "like nothing anywhere else in the world"
That quote is from an article I read describing
Flite Fest OH '18.

Ciao fow now.

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
I just ordered 10 more props so next weekend I can try again.
I've been trying to find some 6x3's since I'm expecting to break a few. Can I ask where you found them at?

If you haven't found it yet, here's some replacement firewalls for the Mini series:

https://store.flitetest.com/flite-test-mighty-mini-firewalls-5-flt-2033/p674243

After my recent experience breaking a control horn during a build, I've got a sheet of those on order. For five bucks it seemed like a good idea.

Jimun

Elite member
I've been trying to find some 6x3's since I'm expecting to break a few. Can I ask where you found them at?

If you haven't found it yet, here's some replacement firewalls for the Mini series:

After my recent experience breaking a control horn during a build, I've got a sheet of those on order. For five bucks it seemed like a good idea.
Already got those and firewalls. Flight test has the props here

https://store.flitetest.com/hq-prop-6x3-propeller-black-2-hq-p010506302/p451307

I found them by searching there sight for 6x3 props

sidletg

Hello Jimun,
Sounds like you're climbing the learning curve very well. Sorry about the firewall ... I'm new also, and have made a few repairs .. with my Tiny, I have to force myself to land before the battery quits because after about 8 minutes of concentrating on flying .. mistakes seem to happen more often and take longer to repair .. Maybe it's just me, but keeping the flights short (around 8 minutes) leads to a better overall experience.

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
Hello Jimun,
Sounds like you're climbing the learning curve very well. Sorry about the firewall ... I'm new also, and have made a few repairs .. with my Tiny, I have to force myself to land before the battery quits because after about 8 minutes of concentrating on flying .. mistakes seem to happen more often and take longer to repair .. Maybe it's just me, but keeping the flights short (around 8 minutes) leads to a better overall experience.
You are the first person I've read to say that. Thank you. I'll keep it in mind.

d8veh

Elite member

I kept the control horns from a speed-build kit and I use them as templates to mark out some 1/16" plywood sheet. I then cut the two triangles and profile them with my Dremmel. Finally, I drill a single hole with a jewellers screwdriver. If you don't have one of those, you can use the rough end of the push-rod wire, in which case bend a bit of scrap wire into the shape of a brace to crank it round. I can knock out 4 control horns in about 5 minutes. I use the same plywood for moor frewalls. I cut two rectangles and glue them together, then drill the mounting holesn, ans finally dremmel out some holes to let cooling air through to the ESC. Again, it only takes a couple of minutes.

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
I kept the control horns from a speed-build kit and I use them as templates to mark out some 1/16" plywood sheet. I then cut the two triangles and profile them with my Dremmel. Finally, I drill a single hole with a jewellers screwdriver. If you don't have one of those, you can use the rough end of the push-rod wire, in which case bend a bit of scrap wire into the shape of a brace to crank it round. I can knock out 4 control horns in about 5 minutes. I use the same plywood for moor frewalls. I cut two rectangles and glue them together, then drill the mounting holesn, ans finally dremmel out some holes to let cooling air through to the ESC. Again, it only takes a couple of minutes.
I can do all that. (Now that you've told me how.) Believe it or not, it was less expensive for me to order them. The nearest place I can get hobby-grade plywood is an hour away and I basically have to plan a day off around the trip. The next time I'm there, I'll pick some up if I can. I've a feeling I'll need it. ;)

I made an order at FT recently and I was $0.58 (yep fifty-eight cents) short of free shipping. Ironically, it's because I dropped a $23 dollar battery charger from the order because I found a better one on ebay for $9 dollars. My order suddenly went from free shipping to $22 and change to ship! So, control horns. I had just broken one. I figured I'd need more. From what I've read here, for five bucks, I probably should have added the firewalls. The little sheet of plywood costs that much. :)

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
Been watching your efforts and I have a question for you!
Are you interested in a TT modification, (not listed on the threads) to take your flight skills to the next step?

If done and you build/fly it you can post it as the original post. I would PM the info and the design if you are interested though It will require you to possibly build a second TT for the build. (The power pod etc would be transferable/identical to what you are currently using)!

Just let me know and I will PM the plane outline!

Have fun!

Jimun

Elite member
Went out yesterday and it was to windy. Got home before the sunset today and the wind was calm. My wife came with me and took some video. I built a new power pod and the TT was ready to fly again. So here we go.

I'm flying,I'm flying

New prop and flying again

Picking up the pieces.

Checking my CRAP

I did fly it again and only used 3 more props today. Got back to the ground a couple of times without braking the prop. I need to practice landing more. The motor still works even after those hard hits.

Love my wife's commentary - I will have her hold the phone horizontally next time

SlingShot

Maneuvering With Purpose
You're off and running! Good! One observation: you don't have to go full throttle all the time unless you want to. Especially when it gets wild close to the ground.