59 year old newbie - adding more planes

Jimun

Elite member
Finally :D got to fly today. Only got 10 seconds of video. I thought I had 1/2 a battery, it lied and died. The field you have seen me fly at is overgrown like in the video @mayan showed in one of his videos.

I had a hard time getting the plane to balance with the new nose. I am thinking that I used foam board from Hobby Lobby first and that is what my Fuselage is made with. The new nose and power pod are with Adams form DT and I think it is lighter. I was noticing a difference when I began using the DT FB, It was cushier and the paper would peal easier. I had to move the battery forward a lot, before I was having to move it back. I think I need to consider sticking to one FB brand on a build.

So late today the wind died down so I went to the field to fly. My first flight was short and I made a good landing. The way the road is I was launching into a cross wind and I almost hit the ground. I had to trim the plane right away. It wanted to go down and to the right.. Got it adjusted while flying, first time I really had done this way. The I came down kind of hard in the weeds. I have to be extra careful and aware, the rattlesnakes are coming out now. I am glad I left the fuselage white, it made it easy to find. During the CRAP check, actually when I removed the wing I felt the servo in the wing was loose so I switched backed to the 3 channel wing again.

On the flight I heard a change in the motor and was having difficulty keeping it up in the air. It crashed on the other side of the field and after going to the area I thought it went down at and starting to crisscross my way back to my truck I found it. The motor had come loose from the firewall. I had 2 screws on it and 1 was missing. I might not have tightened them enough.

Over all, I felt like I was controlling the plane better and I was able to save it most of the time. If I remember correctly I had 3 crashes, 1 hard landing and 3 real good landings. I started with the e-max motor in power pack A and later got the new Flite Test motor. I am not firm on this but I think the Flite Test motor uses a little more battery. I was flying for 10 minutes and now after checking the batteries I think I need to fly for 8 minutes. I need to check this out more so I don't mess up a battery.

If you want to see the 10 second video, let me know and I might put it up.

mayan

Legendary member
Of course we do :).

Only got 10 seconds of video. I thought I had 1/2 a battery, it lied and died
Had that happen to me as well also seen on one of my videos :(.

The field you have seen me fly at is overgrown like in the video @mayan showed in one of his videos.
Might consider using a lost plane buzzer like this one: https://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/bZKEyEFO

Happy to see how you are progressing and learning through experience :). Just an idea for balancing out with a lighter nose, use the F pack motor it’s slightly heavier another option is to use a bigger battery. Loving to read and see your progress keep the experiences coming :).

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
Finally :D got to fly today. Only got 10 seconds of video. I thought I had 1/2 a battery, it lied and died. The field you have seen me fly at is overgrown like in the video @mayan showed in one of his videos.

I had a hard time getting the plane to balance with the new nose. I am thinking that I used foam board from Hobby Lobby first and that is what my Fuselage is made with. The new nose and power pod are with Adams form DT and I think it is lighter. I was noticing a difference when I began using the DT FB, It was cushier and the paper would peal easier. I had to move the battery forward a lot, before I was having to move it back. I think I need to consider sticking to one FB brand on a build.

So late today the wind died down so I went to the field to fly. My first flight was short and I made a good landing. The way the road is I was launching into a cross wind and I almost hit the ground. I had to trim the plane right away. It wanted to go down and to the right.. Got it adjusted while flying, first time I really had done this way. The I came down kind of hard in the weeds. I have to be extra careful and aware, the rattlesnakes are coming out now. I am glad I left the fuselage white, it made it easy to find. During the CRAP check, actually when I removed the wing I felt the servo in the wing was loose so I switched backed to the 3 channel wing again.

On the flight I heard a change in the motor and was having difficulty keeping it up in the air. It crashed on the other side of the field and after going to the area I thought it went down at and starting to crisscross my way back to my truck I found it. The motor had come loose from the firewall. I had 2 screws on it and 1 was missing. I might not have tightened them enough.

Over all, I felt like I was controlling the plane better and I was able to save it most of the time. If I remember correctly I had 3 crashes, 1 hard landing and 3 real good landings. I started with the e-max motor in power pack A and later got the new Flite Test motor. I am not firm on this but I think the Flite Test motor uses a little more battery. I was flying for 10 minutes and now after checking the batteries I think I need to fly for 8 minutes. I need to check this out more so I don't mess up a battery.

I'm glad you got to fly again! It's been so long. I can see where the change in foamboard would definitely make a difference in the CG. It's surprising how little it actually takes to affect it.

I still haven't trimmed a plane in the air yet. Congratulations on that one! I haven't had a screw come out of a firewall yet. I haven't built anything big enough to need four screws. Even the F Pack on the Simple Scout, I only used two. If you're trying the lexan firewall, don't be afraid to tighten it. You aren't going to hurt that thing. Just don't strip out your motor! If it doesn't feel like it "grabs" the screw like the wooden firewall does, that could be an issue. We haven't explored that one yet. Perhaps rough it up with heavy grit sandpaper?

If you're worried that the firewall is the problem, then use a wooden one. Like I said, we (my uncle and I. Mostly my uncle) are still developing it. I just have a bad habit of breaking the wooden ones and he took pity on me. ;) Regardless, thank you for being our first guinea pig! Let us know your impressions, or just drop him a PM. My next few builds are going to have them (including my DR1), I'll let you know how they do for me.

On the video? What @mayan said. :p Oh. One more thing. Watch out for the rattle snakes! That would be a pretty crappy ending to a good day of flying. :) Every time you go out, you seem to learn something. Build. Fly. Crash. Repeat. We got that one down. I need to take a page out of your book: Don't forget to learn something along the way! :D

Jimun

Elite member
I'm glad you got to fly again! It's been so long. I can see where the change in foamboard would definitely make a difference in the CG. It's surprising how little it actually takes to affect it.

I still haven't trimmed a plane in the air yet. Congratulations on that one! I haven't had a screw come out of a firewall yet. I haven't built anything big enough to need four screws. Even the F Pack on the Simple Scout, I only used two. If you're trying the lexan firewall, don't be afraid to tighten it. You aren't going to hurt that thing. Just don't strip out your motor! If it doesn't feel like it "grabs" the screw like the wooden firewall does, that could be an issue. We haven't explored that one yet. Perhaps rough it up with heavy grit sandpaper?

If you're worried that the firewall is the problem, then use a wooden one. Like I said, we (my uncle and I. Mostly my uncle) are still developing it. I just have a bad habit of breaking the wooden ones and he took pity on me. ;) Regardless, thank you for being our first guinea pig! Let us know your impressions, or just drop him a PM. My next few builds are going to have them (including my DR1), I'll let you know how they do for me.

On the video? What @mayan said. :p Oh. One more thing. Watch out for the rattle snakes! That would be a pretty crappy ending to a good day of flying. :) Every time you go out, you seem to learn something. Build. Fly. Crash. Repeat. We got that one down. I need to take a page out of your book: Don't forget to learn something along the way! :D
I used the Flite test motor on it and the wires coming out of the motor are real stiff for about a 1/4" and that is what lead me to install the way I did. When installing the screws the small ones seemed to short to me and the medium size looked like they get real close to the windings in the motor. When I tightened the screws I was concerned because when I tightened them they felt like the heads where pulling into the holes. I am thinking I will make some adjustments and try it again with the E-Max motor next time. Hope this helps you @buzzbomb & @sundown57

Wildthing

Legendary member

Make sure you check the balance of your props, new or old. Some are perfect and others can be way out and an unbalanced prop will shake all the screws loose. Most of my motor mounts now are 3D printed and just as a little precaution I will add a dab of ca glue to the screws. For wood mounts I would give it a dab of hot glue.

Wildthing

Legendary member
I used the Flite test motor on it and the wires coming out of the motor are real stiff for about a 1/4" and that is what lead me to install the way I did. When installing the screws the small ones seemed to short to me and the medium size looked like they get real close to the windings in the motor. When I tightened the screws I was concerned because when I tightened them they felt like the heads where pulling into the holes. I am thinking I will make some adjustments and try it again with the E-Max motor next time. Hope this helps you @buzzbomb & @sundown57
If it is the screws going directly into the motor itself then use some loctite. I loctite those screws on all my motors.

Jimun

Elite member
Hello again, I am back. Been busy with work and a visit from my wife's parents. We took them to the Planes of Fame Museum in Chino California. We had a good time and my wife's dad was in his element. He was in the Air Force in the late 1950's and early 60"s. He was an instructor on the electronics on multi engine bombers. He was telling all about the planes and how the electronics were used on the engines. He will be 80 years old on July 4th. He really enjoyed the trip and it just made me feel real good. Here are the pictures I took.

It made me want to get back into the air again. It is raining now and through the weekend. Maybe if there is a break I can get out and fly. The field might be to wet though so we will see.

sprzout

Knower of useless information
Mentor
Hello again, I am back. Been busy with work and a visit from my wife's parents. We took them to the Planes of Fame Museum in Chino California. We had a good time and my wife's dad was in his element. He was in the Air Force in the late 1950's and early 60"s. He was an instructor on the electronics on multi engine bombers. He was telling all about the planes and how the electronics were used on the engines. He will be 80 years old on July 4th. He really enjoyed the trip and it just made me feel real good. Here are the pictures I took.

It made me want to get back into the air again. It is raining now and through the weekend. Maybe if there is a break I can get out and fly. The field might be to wet though so we will see.

Oh man...Reminds me of the San Diego Air & Space Museum. HUGE amounts of history here in San Diego, considering we had General Dynamics, Ryan Air, and several others being constructed here. Sadly, some of those plants are now gone, a bygone era, but...

mayan

Legendary member
Seem like you had a good time so happy to hear that. Does your father in law also like to fly RC?

Jimun

Elite member
Ok, I made it out today the rain today got moved to tomorrow:D. Put together 2 more power pods and charged my batteries. A little wind but that's ok, I went and did it. Here is what I did today.

Everything started off ok. The wind makes it interesting to fly. I thought I was going to have a good day and then the plane did something weird as you can see in the video. As I tried to correct it the wind just kept pushing across the field until it went down. Nose was crushed a little bit but not bad. The extra weight I put in the nose that I thought maybe had come loose was still in place. So this is what I discovered during my CRAP :poop: check.

Issue number 1.JPG

The connector had come complete off the wires for an aileron servo. So I went back to my other wing so I could fly some more. I got it all back together and the rudder was not working after I changed the servo for the rudder back to the aileron slot in the rx and reversed it. So I took it apart again and pulled out the rx and found this:(.

Issue number 2.JPG

So now my day was over darn it.

I don't know if the connector issue was causing the weird flying or not. Does anyone else have problems with wires staying in the connectors? Could I be messing them up just by plugging and unplugging them? I plan on getting my FT Explorer built today so I will have at least 2 plans with me when I can get out there and fly.

Another observation I see is the big difference in foam-board. I started with foam board I got from Hobby Lobby and then I got some from dollar tree. The DT FB is a lot softer and crushes easier the HL FB. The paper has not peeled off the HL FB like it does with the DT FB. I did get a sheet from Walmart and it seemed to be in-between the other 2. I don't like getting it at Walmart though cause it always seems to be damaged. Do you guys notice this to and with ones do you prefer?

mayan

Legendary member
Great flying buddy. Your getting there fast considering you don’t go out much. Nice save at about 58 seconds in :). Love the low fly bys. And extremely impressed with handling in the wind which sounds pretty strong.

Does anyone else have problems with wires staying in the connectors?
Yes it happens to mainly on crashes :(.

Wildthing

Legendary member
First your flying is superb. Single wires coming out of a connector has never happened to me even in all my crashes and belive me I have done a few of them :D . Connectors themselves if specially in a place where it is sealed or hard to get at I will cut a small piece of duct tape to rap around the connection just for a little security or piece of mind.

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
Welcome back, @Jimun, we missed you! That was indeed some nice flying you had going on. You weren't flying like you'd been away from it for three weeks, you were flying like you'd been at it all along. Well done. (y)

"Knock on wood" I have yet to have a wire pull out of a connector. I understand from others that it does happen, though. As far as the foam board goes, I've only used DTFB. I understand the Walmart stuff is heavier and more brittle than the DTFB. I don't know of anyone else who is using the FB from Hobby Lobby. Next time I'm a few towns over, I'll stop in and grab a few sheets, just to check it out.

Your Explorer build is looking good! I can't wait to see it in the air, as well!