59 year old newbie - adding more planes

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
Did you mean to say that? Don't we fit a smaller prop to a motor so that it spins faster into the region where the current is lower.

The faster the motor spins, the higher the back emf, so the lower the net voltage driving current through the motor, so the less current you get.

I should qualify, the faster the motor spins, "with the same prop", the more amps it will draw. Yes, we put smaller props on higher kv motors to reduce the amp draw. We also put larger props on 2S, a smaller one on 3S and even smaller one on 4S. Because the motor will spin faster on 4S than 3S & we need to reduce the amp draw.

Last edited:

sprzout

Knower of useless information
Mentor
Center of gravity, most all plans have a mark for cg. USE IT! Before you fly check it again ...
lately I’ve been putting just a dot of hot glue right on the mark. That way I have something tactile in the field for my fingers to find.

I hadn't thought about the hot glue, but that's a good way to do it! I've just taken a barbecue skewer and poked holes right at the CG points. Not huge holes, but enough to feel the difference when you're holding the plane up and trying to figure out if you have it adjusted right. :)

Jimun

Elite member
Okay, I went out again today. A little breezy, but thought I would give it a try.

Tiny Trainer 008.JPG

Launched into the breeze a few times. I think I needed it to be a little bit calmer.
It got away from me a couple of times and broke my prop again. I thought ok new prop and try again. Then I noticed something odd in the fuselage shape, It was crooked.
Tiny Trainer 009.JPG

Ok some tape and then try. Nope, now the receiver stopped working and so I took the wing off to look and seen a servo horn had broke.
So I went home and checked the receiver again and it worked and I replaced the servo horn by cutting 1 of the extra servo horns that came with the servos.

Tiny Trainer 010.JPG

Repairs are done. To busy this weekend to go again, but next weekend is looking good if the wind dies down.
I am getting Real Flight 8 this weekend so I can practice more.

d8veh

Elite member
Simulators are a great learning tool, they will save you a LOT of repair time.
Plus, they expand your flying capability because you can try, without risk, all the manoeuvres that you're too scared to do on your real model. For $10, everybody should get one.

Jimun

Elite member
I got to go again today after repairs.
The wind died down and I was able to fly straight and fairly level a few times and land. Tried to turn it around and come back towards me so I wouldn’t have to walk to get it. I only broke 3 props, but I am getting better.

Txwarthog

I also ordered it. Thanks for sharing. I do have a point of contention. All the videos are made with the speed kits and that's great, however are there any videos from them built from not using a kit?

Txwarthog

I got to go again today after repairs.
The wind died down and I was able to fly straight and fairly level a few times and land. Tried to turn it around and come back towards me so I wouldn’t have to walk to get it. I only broke 3 props, but I am getting better.
From what I have learned the CB is way off. I'm trying to nail that down in my threads.

kilroy07

Legendary member
One thing I like to do (and helped early on) is to put a stripe or two of colored tape on one wing (usually left) or a red and green leading edge. It helps remind yourself which wing to drop/raise when it’s coming at you.

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
One thing I like to do (and helped early on) is to put a stripe or two of colored tape on one wing (usually left) or a red and green leading edge. It helps remind yourself which wing to drop/raise when it’s coming at you.
That's good stuff. I'll remember that. I got here flying toy-grade quads, and orientation when it came at me was always trouble. I've read where with a fixed wing, you just move the stick towards the side that's dipping. Marking it is even better. Thanks, man.

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
That's good stuff. I'll remember that. I got here flying toy-grade quads, and orientation when it came at me was always trouble. I've read where with a fixed wing, you just move the stick towards the side that's dipping. Marking it is even better. Thanks, man.
There is an old trick from the early days of RC. Always keep your body turned in the direction of flight and look back over your shoulder when the plane is coming towards you. You quickly learn to make the transition as the plane still maneuvers the same without you needing to translate the direction just because it is coming towards you. Over time you need not turn quite so much and eventually you will find that the control translation is automatic.

Just what worked for newbies in the old days!

Have fun!

Txwarthog

This is what I'm doing with my trash trainer, it's to windy here in Dallas to "try" and fly. I'm going to play with gliding. I know my tail needs some work. I'm not done. Frankinglideder

Attachments

• P_20181103_125122.jpg
    P_20181103_125122.jpg
    6.1 MB · Views: 0
  • P_20181103_132827.gif
    P_20181103_132827.gif
    32.1 MB · Views: 0
  • P_20181103_142756.gif
    P_20181103_142756.gif
    33.1 MB · Views: 0
  • P_20181103_183107.gif
    P_20181103_183107.gif
    30.9 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Jimun

Elite member
I want to thank everyone for you input, it does help. Here in Southern California the Santa Ana winds have been blowing for the past week. Bad for the fires here and bad for flying RC.
I did get the new RF8 sim and have been practicing. Does anyone have a recommendation for simulating the Tiny Trainer on the RF8 with Horizon planes? I have tried a few and found the Multiplex Easy Star the closest to matching with my actual flying.
I put a couple of Speed Build kits on my wish list, waiting to see if I get them for Christmas

Last edited:

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
Normally the first part of your TT to need to be replaced is the fuselage or parts thereof.

For those who have built their fair share of TT fuselages and want to move up to something a little different or even a little Sportier I have a suggestion.

Try building the fuselage from this thread https://forum.flitetest.com/index.php?threads/das-little-stick-parkflyer-plans.14491/

It fits the TT wings quite well, (perfectly) and its maneuverability is excellent as well as being lighter and faster. Withthe wing from the same thread it makes a nice little stunter or even dogfighter!

Just what I did!

Have fun!

mayan

Legendary member
@Jimun wellcome to the club, a great choice for a first plane. I can't stress out how much I love that plane. I am still new as well, and have some longer successful flights along side many crashes. I really believe in build, fly, crash, repeat; and have to hand it off to you for only breaking a few props. My first crashes cost me a few motors. Anyhow good luck buddy, and again welcome to the club.

docque

Your story sounds like mine. Old guy, wanted to fly for years. Came across FT and the rest is history. Your TT looks just like mine. I started with the slower setup. A pack with a two cell to start. It is very docile. I still have three TT wings in the basement and a few noses but it is a very resilient plane. I also built the Old Fogey and went with the minimum on that.

Two seasons of flying and I am no Pro, but I love flying and I can smash them with the best of them. I took a Bloody Wonder and embedded it in a tree. I drive by and still see it there.