Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
The CG is fine. I also used the full length of the wire landing gear to make it taller and wider. Remember taller gear increases your AOA!!! Also I had a set of tundra tires left over from a Horizon Hobby Sport Cub. BTW the newer Carbon Cub tires will fit and are even taller! FT tires on the second build. I also used the longer servo arms for full deflection. I did have to limit the throws on the rudder. When I do the maiden I will report back. :)
Taller landing gear allows you to swing a larger prop but sadly it does not increase the AOA. The angle of Attack is a function of the wings angle to the on coming airflow, (wheel size or location make no difference here). Normally a taller landing gear does give a wider track or the possibility of having one and greater stability if the gear is rigid enough!

Taller landing gear on a taildragger can increase the planes susceptibility to nosing over on take off or landing though it does give the plane the ability to rotate to a greater angle on take off. If the plane/pilot takes off at too slow a speed in a rapid jerking way it is possible that the extra rotation angle can more easily stall the plane and a crash will result.

If the landing gear is not rigid enough longer gear can cause the plane to actually bounce on take off and landing as well as swerve violently if a wheel experiences an increased drag load through rough ground and the wheel retreats rewards before springing forward once again. Again if the landing gear is not rigid enough the undercarriage can be bent backwards very easily and on every less than perfect landing.

Just a few thoughts!

Have fun!

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
Why yes it does increase the AOA. Taller gear and taller tires do.

Not sure where you get your info, but the guys over on the Kit Fox/Avid Flyer's forum will disagree.

I have Tundra gear on my Avid. It is taller and wider. None of the folks that have made this mod have ever mentioned a greater tendency to nose over. Back on the AOA... What does a tri gear typically have to do when it leaves the ground? It rotates to increase the AOA. Well the conventional gear starts with a relatively high AOA and doesn't need to rotate.

Have you built a Simple Cub? The steel rod that makes up the landing gear is very rigid. So much that I use a vise when I do my bends. At best is it 1/2" longer. Basically what I did was to use the entire length of the rod where normally you cut a bit off each end (see build video).

Were those just thoughts or something else?
Yes I have built a simple cub or 2 or 10+, and a couple of hundred, (PLUS), designs in FB, balsa, and foam, some being my own designs for a retail outlet as well as general distribution through the local RC clubs and among the students I teach to fly. Around half of the designs have have taildragger undercarriage to either the design spec or my own design spec.

As for the angle of attack argument, when a taildragger takes off it does so from a tail up position or else it risks lifting the nose before the tail is in a position to provide much control. It is global convention to refer to angle of attack as the relationship of the wing cord angle with respect the airflow.

If the plane is not moving the AoA doesn't exist see, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Angle_of_attack A similar explanation is available from Boeing if that would be better! I try to get the terminology matching that used by the relevant industries and most user groups!

Taller landing gear may be said to provide a higher initial, (at rest), angle with respect to the ground or runway when starting the taxi run, (as well as ground clearance during the take off run), but the tail control surfaces should control the AoA. In addition if your AoA is much in excess of 15 degrees the main wing will start to have its drag increase markedly whilst at the same time the available lift will be rapidly reduced, unless the tail rises to control the AoA as designed!.

As for the thoughts or something else, well it is/was thoughts about what is taught globally in relation to aircraft, (well almost globally), and I was trying to get the terminology correct for those other forum users who do their own research on aircraft and aerodynamics.

Have fun!

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
lol WOW Fly-n-Low. I cannot imagine being as dense as you.
@Hai-Lee is one of the BEST sources of knowledge on this forum and always pops up with great information. Every time I see his post, I know I will learn something. Especially in this hobby, a "schooling" session is NEVER a bad thing, unless you are incapable of learning. Then you block him after saying he is arguing with you? He was kind in all of his posts. It just shows how inexperienced you are since you never even responded to anything he said other than him correcting you (with sources).

Now YOU on the other hand. I can't tell if you are just a snotty dumb kid, or a sad, ignorant old man. I mean, your maiden flight you used a dead battery and dunked it in a algae covered pond :LOL::ROFLMAO:. NOOB! You say: "Wow!!! Seems you can't be wrong!" right before you post about crashing into a pond. Premium laughs had at your expense and ignorance.

I came here via search looking for good info on a cub build, which I found from Hai-Lee. I rarely comment here but you, @Fly-n-Low, are a joke.
I thank you for your kind words but there is still much that I learn every day, and I will never know everything there is to know. As for the OP he seems to have rapidly faded and so the thread will also fade over time.
Try not to get involved in disagreements even if you become the actual target of the attack or argument as it is not really worth it, as eventually we all fade out of the scene or forum.

Remember why we do this sport/hobby. We do it to.......

Have fun!

Sero

Elite member
Your opinion. So you have never made a mistake. Do you feel better about yourself now? Piss off!

These forums are for sharing and learning. Somebody, of who you know nothing about, comes along and gives you suggestions and ideas and knowledge and you come along and act like you know it all and disrespect their advise. That alone shows you have lots of learning to do.

We all were new at this hobby at one time, we all make mistakes, we all can learn from each other regardless at what level we are at. Be respectful!

I'm flagging this thread, hopefully it gets locked or deleted or etc...

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
These forums are for sharing and learning. Somebody, of who you know nothing about, comes along and gives you suggestions and ideas and knowledge and you come along and act like you know it all and disrespect their advise. That alone shows you have lots of learning to do.

We all were new at this hobby at one time, we all make mistakes, we all can learn from each other regardless at what level we are at. Be respectful!

I'm flagging this thread, hopefully it gets locked or deleted or etc...
Please do not respond if the posts become heated or personal. All that your responding will do is to get yourself blocked/bared/banned from the forum.

If the thread is unpalatable please ignore it, regardless of whether it is right or wrong. Allow the forum moderators handle it!

Have fun!