5min into flying sea otter on asphalt...

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
Additionally, don't print from an internet browser. Download Adobe Acrobat Reader DC from Adobe's official site and print from there. Find the page that has your part and "Print Current Page." In the preferences dialogue, make sure scaling is set to 100%.

FoamyDM

Building Fool-Flying Noob
Great way to show how all newbies that you can fix most damage.

When the wing wobbles, or the motor moves when throttled up. it' time to at least rebuild the piece.

Great determination @CL8N2, once you're happy with your tiled plans you can cut them out on a roll of construction paper or poster board using the same tracing techniques for cutting the foam and have easily reusable plans.

Brett_N

Could be worse. This was 57 seconds into a maiden...

Attachments

• 20181202_085702.jpg
    20181202_085702.jpg
    754.6 KB · Views: 0
  • 20181202_085718.jpg
    20181202_085718.jpg
    885.6 KB · Views: 0

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
Could be worse. This was 57 seconds into a maiden...
Hoooly Shoot! I know that must have hurt you on the inside, but darn. That's spectacular! Stay away from the gunpowder in your future builds. I've read that there is just no good reason to line the inside of plane with it. Ouch, Man. Ouch.

rmzalbar

I really wanted to do RC planes when I was a kid, but it was the '80s and too expensive then. At one point, I saved up, and then spent all summer building a balsa free-flight plane powered by a Cox .020, real RC gear being way above my reach. At the end of all that work, I took it up to my big sister's ranch and let it rip.. it went up high enough to buy a good bit of potential energy, then winged over and gave it all to the ground, reduced to sticks and shreds of tissue in less than 10 seconds. At that point, I kind of went... naaaaah, and pushed RC flight out of my mind. Until FT and the foam board revolution brought me back. Man what a difference in build time and repairability. Crashes now cause me no stress.

Headbang

Master member
I really wanted to do RC planes when I was a kid, but it was the '80s and too expensive then. At one point, I saved up, and then spent all summer building a balsa free-flight plane powered by a Cox .020, real RC gear being way above my reach. At the end of all that work, I took it up to my big sister's ranch and let it rip.. it went up high enough to buy a good bit of potential energy, then winged over and gave it all to the ground, reduced to sticks and shreds of tissue in less than 10 seconds. At that point, I kind of went... naaaaah, and pushed RC flight out of my mind. Until FT and the foam board revolution brought me back. Man what a difference in build time and repairability. Crashes now cause me no stress.

Back in the 80s I was a kid, I was poor, I paid for planes in gopher tails at 25 cents a piece. Sometimes birthday money would allow a kit, but they were so stressful to "fly" (more like controlled crash). I learned how to cut foam wings, and build cheap balsa fuselages. Cox .049 engines were my budget. I crashed the heck out of em. My midwest aero-lectric just got its 20th rebuild last yr after sitting broken in a box for 20yrs. Fixing is such a major undertaking with wood planes that sometimes they just go to the side. Broke the gear off a 60cc aj ars last year. It has been in my garage for 6 months, don't even want to look at it. But when I crashed my ft mig-3 on Saturday, doing a LOT of damage, I had it repaired and was waiting for gorilla glue to cure before i put a new prop on by Sunday afternoon! It is ready for me to dumb thumb it into the ground again as we speak! Dtfb planes have brought the fun back and taken the stress out! I'll be posting the vid of the mig 3 crash soon, at the end I was surprised by my reaction. I was laughing, not crying on video!

rmzalbar

Back in the 80s I was a kid, I was poor, I paid for planes in gopher tails at 25 cents a piece. Sometimes birthday money would allow a kit, but they were so stressful to "fly" (more like controlled crash). I learned how to cut foam wings, and build cheap balsa fuselages. Cox .049 engines were my budget. I crashed the heck out of em. My midwest aero-lectric just got its 20th rebuild last yr after sitting broken in a box for 20yrs. Fixing is such a major undertaking with wood planes that sometimes they just go to the side. Broke the gear off a 60cc aj ars last year. It has been in my garage for 6 months, don't even want to look at it. But when I crashed my ft mig-3 on Saturday, doing a LOT of damage, I had it repaired and was waiting for gorilla glue to cure before i put a new prop on by Sunday afternoon! It is ready for me to dumb thumb it into the ground again as we speak! Dtfb planes have brought the fun back and taken the stress out! I'll be posting the vid of the mig 3 crash soon, at the end I was surprised by my reaction. I was laughing, not crying on video!
Yeah!! I dumb-thumbed the Explorer into the ground on maybe my 3rd trip out. No reason, just cruising it toward myself fairly low, and then for no reason at all just pushed my thumb up and shoved it straight in. I didn't know it was a recognized condition, I thought it was something wrong with me. I mean, left <-> right is understandable, but, jeez. And yeah, my first reaction was astonishment, followed by total amusement. It was widely broken, but still had it ready to go again the same night. The Mig-3 looks similar to the Super Tucano I just built, fast and maneuverable. I've taken it up just once, a couple days ago, in a too-small field not knowing what to expect. Too damn fast and twitchy, I thought sure it was going to go splat. I manage to land it after less than two minutes. With shaking hands. But even if I had failed.. it's foam board and a couple nights to fix anything.

Last edited: