6' Wingspan B-36 w/ EDF's andBombs

b-29er

Hey have you considered using a foam tube like a yoga roller for the fuselage that's what Iḿ doing for mine
Just a thought

Wouldn't a yoga roller have a considerable amount of weight because it is either solid foam or foam wrapped around an ABS tube? more importantly, where do you put the bombs???

Last edited:

Horseman3381

hello Sir, can you tell me where is the cg on the wing ?

On this plane it is at the center of the wing at the fuselage. So the wing cord at the fuselage is 10.25" and the cg point is 5.125" from the front or back.

On a previous version of the plane I built that is no longer with us the CG was 2/3 the chord length from the front of the wing (1/3) from the back. I'm not sure why this was, it may have had something to do with the angle of the motors throwing something off.

As a reference Demondriver on YouTube posted a good video on finding a planes CG that has helped me recently and proven to work. I would recommend checking it out.

Easy way to find CG Video by RC Demondriver

Horseman3381

Hey have you considered using a foam tube like a yoga roller for the fuselage that's what Iḿ doing for mine
Just a thought
I'm sorry for the delayed reply, I didnt notice this post till now.

I cant say I know what a yoga roller is, however at my work we use some sturdy yet reasonably light weight cardboard tubes to archive rolls of drawings in. I have considered using one of them if I ever build another version, or maybe if I build a B-29.

johnygplt

On this plane it is at the center of the wing at the fuselage. So the wing cord at the fuselage is 10.25" and the cg point is 5.125" from the front or back.

On a previous version of the plane I built that is no longer with us the CG was 2/3 the chord length from the front of the wing (1/3) from the back. I'm not sure why this was, it may have had something to do with the angle of the motors throwing something off.

As a reference Demondriver on YouTube posted a good video on finding a planes CG that has helped me recently and proven to work. I would recommend checking it out.

Easy way to find CG Video by RC Demondriver

thank you for a reply, this knowledge will be helpful when i will be building this plane from your plans . By the way i already watch this video by Demondriver back then when i was building model Tupolev tu 95 out of foam board, unfortunately this metod don't work out for me, the plane was so nose heavy that it couldn't rotate, idk, maybe i have done something wrong.
and of course congratulations for ingenuity and cleverness this airplane is beast :)

Last edited:

Hutch Bunch Rc

How much did it weight? I’m building one right now, 6ft span, 6 motors, no edfs, and I want to use 3 2200 3s batteries. I’m not sure what motors to use so if you could tell me the flying weight Thad be cool!

lemastji

Sorry about the thread necromancy. I've started building a B-36 based off these plans but I'm new to the multi-engine wiring. I need to pull the trigger on buying ESC's very soon if there's any hope of it making a run at Flitefest 22 but hope I can get a little guidance before I spend the money. Here's a couple questions I currently have.

1. On the ESC/Receiver lead, would I pull the positive lead from all the ESC's except two of the connectors for the BEC redundancy? Not sure of the best way to handle this.
2. With 10 motors, would Y-harnesses degrade the signal from the receiver to ESC's too much? Is there another or better method I should use?

Hondo76251

Legendary member
Funny this was just brought up in another thread not long ago...

Have you considered using escs that dont have a bec in them, like the "bullet's"? No need to waste the weight of 8 unnecessary becs when 2 or three independent ones would suffice.

b-29er

Not my thread, Horseman can correct me if i'm wrong:

Sorry about the thread necromancy. I've started building a B-36 based off these plans but I'm new to the multi-engine wiring. I need to pull the trigger on buying ESC's very soon if there's any hope of it making a run at Flitefest 22 but hope I can get a little guidance before I spend the money. Here's a couple questions I currently have.

1. On the ESC/Receiver lead, would I pull the positive lead from all the ESC's except two of the connectors for the BEC redundancy? Not sure of the best way to handle this.
2. With 10 motors, would Y-harnesses degrade the signal from the receiver to ESC's too much? Is there another or better method I should use?

1.In terms of wiring, you should cut the positive wire for all the BECs except for one, or two if you are using something like this diode nightflyyer mentioned, you could use two and run through this. The rationale is that BECs are going to be calibrated slightly differently and "fight" each other, causing premature failures and potential damage to all involved BECs. You could alternatively cut all but one ESC and use a a battery with its own BEC.

2. Depends on size. On something like the 6' b-36, that isn't an issue, so long as you keep the receiver wires away from power distribution and ESC wires.. When you get bigger, you may consider having multiple receivers, e.g. one for the left and one for the right side of the aircraft. That way, you eliminate a single point of failure.

Funny this was just brought up in another thread not long ago...

Have you considered using escs that dont have a bec in them, like the "bullet's"? No need to waste the weight of 8 unnecessary becs when 2 or three independent ones would suffice.

That isn't a bad idea, but your weight savings wouldn't be that much. The weights they quote for those are typically excluding the wires IIRC. If you are looking to save hassle and money isn't as much of an issue, you may consider using one of the 4-in-one ESCS like many racing quads use. They're relatively small, so they could be stowed in the #3 and #4 bay for best airflow, typically come with a BEC, and significantly reduce your wiring.