62" C-47 Skytrain with 48" Waco Glider

Zephyr1

Elite member
1560009160180.png

Inspired by the 75th Anniversary of D-Day, I've begun work on a new project. The plan so far, and the wings have been cutout, is a C-47 with retractable landing gear and the option of either a tow cable for the Waco, or a parachute drop. I cut out the wings yesterday, it's going well. I just finished my first prototype design for the fuselage and I'll be cutting that out soon. I"m going to be using the fold over foam method for the fuseluge. However, for the wings, due to the complexity of adding landing gear that retracts, I've decided to use the more traditional FT fold over wing. I do hope to be able to bring this to Flite Fest Ohio. And any input that you have on this, especially in regards to retracts, would be wonderful.

C-47 SPECS:
Wingspan: 62.5"
Length: 46"
Motors: 2 x 1200KV (C pack stand ins)
Props: 7 x 3
Battery: Either a 4000mAh 4S or a 5000mAh 3S

Channels:
Throttle (no differential thrust)
Aileron
Elevator
Rudder
Retractable Gear
Parachute Door/Glider release

1560009678795.png

For the Waco, I am anticipating far less stress, I believe it will be a very easy build. Its a square fuselage with a traditional FT wing. I'll post more about it later, but the current plan is for a 48" wingspan to keep it scale to the C-47.

Last edited:

JTarmstr

Elite member
View attachment 133104

Inspired by the 75th Anniversary of D-Day, I've begun work on a new project. The plan so far, and the wings have been cutout, is a C-47 with retractable landing gear and the option of either a tow cable for the Waco, or a parachute drop. I cut out the wings yesterday, it's going well. I just finished my first prototype design for the fuselage and I'll be cutting that out soon. I"m going to be using the fold over foam method for the fuseluge. However, for the wings, due to the complexity of adding landing gear that retracts, I've decided to use the more traditional FT fold over wing. I do hope to be able to bring this to Flite Fest Ohio. And any input that you have on this, especially in regards to retracts, would be wonderful.

C-47 SPECS:
Wingspan: 62.5"
Length: 46"
Motors: 2 x 1200KV (C pack stand ins)
Props: 7 x 3
Battery: Either a 4000mAh 4S or a 5000mAh 3S

Channels:
Throttle (no differential thrust)
Aileron
Elevator
Rudder
Retractable Gear
Parachute Door/Glider release

View attachment 133105

For the Waco, I am anticipating far less stress, I believe it will be a very easy build. Its a square fuselage with a traditional FT wing. I'll post more about it later, but the current plan is for a 48" wingspan to keep it scale to the C-47.

Awesome! I was planning on a C-47 design for next summer but if this turns out well I may just build this one. I was watching Band of Brothers last week and the C-47s were pretty awesome, even if they had a disturbing tendency to catch on fire.

Good luck with the build.

Zephyr1

Elite member
EE811368-0496-45AA-B306-B2D5916FDC51.jpeg

Almost there! Landing gear are in, the fuse needs some more wrapping. Any idea where I should cut the battery hatch?

UPDATE
D2C10169-BE1D-4A7E-88AA-0C1E7EF9B86D.jpeg

Canopy is still an issue, and I’m not sure on the decision on removable wings and/or hatch. But otherwise it’s ready for a maiden

Last edited:

FoamyDM

Building Fool-Flying Noob
You do some good work @Zephyr1. I look forward to this model in the air with the tow.
I was listening to RCroundtable Podcast, and Terry Dunn, had done something similar, but in the WACO glider, he put the throttle channel to a small normally active electro magnet. at full throttle it would release... might be useful here. if I find the thingy-do, I'll post a link.

Zephyr1

Elite member
Aww thanks guys. I'm sorry I do have footage of it crashing (and explosions) but it's currently at my parents (where the explosions took place) and I've put it on the back burner for a little while. The current plan is to rebuild the C-47 along the model of @Niez13 and come back to the Waco. In the mean time I've been working on these two projects which I'll be posting about in a little bit:
THUD.JPG

Komet.JPG