64mm EDF F117

64mm EDF F117 V1.0

Please log in to download

Matagami Designs

Master member
So I propped my phone up the other day to try and video the launch in case there were any problems instead i got to make this:
20210323_175431_1.gif

Also I updated the picture for CG in the overview tab with how I set up for this flight.

Burnhard

This one is very high on my list and the build looks fantastic. I am planning to do a 70mm version of it. Have printed the plans in 110% for that. Wondering whether I should try a double EDF but thats probably overkill. Also planning to add retracts. A single EDF will give up to 1.6kg of thrust. That should just be enough.

Matagami Designs

Master member
This one is very high on my list and the build looks fantastic. I am planning to do a 70mm version of it. Have printed the plans in 110% for that. Wondering whether I should try a double EDF but thats probably overkill. Also planning to add retracts. A single EDF will give up to 1.6kg of thrust. That should just be enough.

The retracts sounds nice but I tried to keep it simple considering it's already complicated enough to build. Not to mention I've never done retracts... Anyways sounds awesome keep us posted!

cyclone3350

Master member
Let me know what U think of that PowerFun EDF. I have accouple of those lying around looking for a home. One is going into the VH F-4 and the other is going to power a chuck glider. From the video posted on the first page. it looks like a decent motor.

Matagami Designs

Master member
Let me know what U think of that PowerFun EDF. I have accouple of those lying around looking for a home. One is going into the VH F-4 and the other is going to power a chuck glider. From the video posted on the first page. it looks like a decent motor.

It works well from what I can tell. I dont have any other EDF that I fly at the moment so not much i can compare it to.

do you have a build video or build thread

Just the build pictures from the beginning of the thread. If you plan to make it I can answer any questions you come up with though.

CarolineTyler

Legendary member
Three more questions please.
1. What's the lighter looking wood strip one of the pictures shows between the fuselage and the wing with the plane being held on its side?
2. Does the carbon tube go from wing to wing in a single piece?
3. The battery hatch, do you just cut it out after finishing the fuselage?

Matagami Designs

Master member
1. What's the lighter looking wood strip one of the pictures shows between the fuselage and the wing with the plane being held on its side?

This is a confusing picture. It's supposed to show that I used a small piece of wood to separate that lower seam while putting glue there.

Yeah it was challenging to do this as I had it run under the edf. I had to give it a slight bend and cut a cavity in the middle.
It might be easier to do further back or fit it up before placing the edf. Between this and my 1st f117 that had no spar there is a significant difference. So I recommend having something.

Yes, I think I included the canopy sticker on one page I would use this as a starting point and add a bit of an offset 1/4" or 5mm.

CarolineTyler

Legendary member

This is a confusing picture. It's supposed to show that I used a small piece of wood to separate that lower seam while putting glue there.

Yeah it was challenging to do this as I had it run under the edf. I had to give it a slight bend and cut a cavity in the middle.
It might be easier to do further back or fit it up before placing the edf. Between this and my 1st f117 that had no spar there is a significant difference. So I recommend having something.

Yes, I think I included the canopy sticker on one page I would use this as a starting point and add a bit of an offset 1/4" or 5mm.

Thanks! I'm taking my time getting the base and wings connected nicely using UHU Por.
I got the bevels on the aileron wrong so had to use the top paper for the hinge, cutoff the bottom pat and glue it to the top aileron part ... Should work, there's enough throw up and down.

Burnhard

The retracts sounds nice but I tried to keep it simple considering it's already complicated enough to build. Not to mention I've never done retracts... Anyways sounds awesome keep us posted!

Will do. I managed to lose my Viggen last weekend. Will need to do a rebuild of that before moving to the F117. Do you have any flight stabilization on yours?

Matagami Designs

Master member
Complete!
View attachment 200655 View attachment 200656
The marked CofG on the plans is 17 9/16" (446mm) from the nose --- Is that correct, I saw that you crashed and made mention of "re-evaluating my CG" - so has this number changed please?

That was some build!!! Definitely not for a beginner at foamboard.

Its difficult to say exactly, after I crashed I think my plane got a bit shorter as I accidently cut off more then I put back on. I think I may have lost 3/16 of an inch up front. If you follow the leading edge of the wing from the back the 14 and 3/4" is where I have mine balance. If it were built exactly to the model the dimensions should match.

1621792929555.png

CarolineTyler

Legendary member
Its difficult to say exactly, after I crashed I think my plane got a bit shorter as I accidently cut off more then I put back on. I think I may have lost 3/16 of an inch up front. If you follow the leading edge of the wing from the back the 14 and 3/4" is where I have mine balance. If it were built exactly to the model the dimensions should match.

View attachment 200667
All these weird inches and fractions...... millimetres for the win ;)