65 year ago, I flew a plane on a string...

davidkdk

Thank you everyone for your responses. It is nice to see the different ideas. It is also nice to see some details on what I was looking at and why or why not it might meet my needs.

My experience? I flew a Cox control line Piper Cub 65 years ago. Flew-I mean when I could get the engine to start. I have also watched a bunch of Flite Test and R/C Airplane Videos on youtube, does that count for anything?

I had considered the tiny trainer but Customer service steered me towards the Champ. They could not answer my question about using the transmitter that came with that plane with a flight simulator. They pointed me here to this forum for answer and i got it. Thumbs up to Customer service for that. Thumbs up to the folks here for the answer.

So my thought is back to the tiny trainer. Flite test offers a bundle for the Tiny Trainer. https://store.flitetest.com/flite-test-tiny-trainer-get-started-package-flt-5006-bdl/p791873 They offer a 6 channel Spektrum Transmitter as an option. Offering a specific transmitter with the package is important as it would indicate that it will be compatible. If i like this hobby, in time with experienced i would better understand what else i need and what else might work.

I have wanted to try this foam board assembly. It looks to be a very interesting concept. So the Tiny Trainer would fit that need.

So moving onto the next step. How quick is Flite Test Store in processing order? I am going to be out of town all next week. I would hate to order today only to provide the Porch Pirates a new kit next week.
My beginnings with Flite Test were essentially the same as yours. Some flight in my teens but nothing else for 40+ years. I found the Flite Test videos and was hooked. This is something I've wanted to do all my life. I bought RealFlight 8 with the InterLink-X Controller for RealFlight and spent the winter practicing. Over the winter I also planned and picked my first plane... the Simple Cub... in a 3ch setup.

I knew this wasn't going to be a fleeting experiment in RC so I went all in. The Crafty Kit, a SkyRC dual battery charger, a good portable battery tester, Wheels for the landing gear, Foamwerks tools to help with bevels, Spektrum DX9 Transmitter... in short... everything I needed to make the build and fly process as good as it could be. I joined a local flying club paying both local and national dues.

The build process was beyond fun... and almost exactly what the video showed. There are a couple of departures but a few questions here on this forum got me going again.

My first flight was last Wed. night... a windy, gusty, cold night. The club's instructors set up the buddy box for my Simple Cub, the instructor handled the take-off and then handed control over to me. He was a little surprised that I flew pretty good... and then asked if I'd be using a simulator. The whole experience was more than I'd hoped for... it was excellent. The Simple Cub flew beautifully, wind blasting away, and I didn't care. I got into trouble at times and Frank took control, saved me, and handed control right back again explaining what I'd done and what happened. I was hooked... again. Not only was the flight great, but the group of guys at the field were helpful and encouraging... they couldn't have been better.

The Simple Cub was not expensive... but all the extras needed are. Transmitter, charger, batteries, etc. All the extras are essentially permanent items and so they are a one time expense.

If you're just testing the waters, and you want to build yourself (almost as much fun as flying) then the Tiny Trainer Starter kit, plus the Crafty Kit, is a really good start. Good luck.

Vimana89

Legendary member
Vimana - Found a link for Multiflight, but it looks like it's some seriously old software. Do you know if it runs on Windows 10? I wasn't able to find any system requirements for it other than something that said it would run on XP all the way up to Windows 8, but that was on a post in RCGroups from 2013. With something that runs on XP, I have to wonder if it will hold up on newer systems.
If it's the same link I used when I got it it will run on windows 10. I have the newest stuff in my computer and it runs fine.

sprzout

Knower of useless information
Mentor
The Simple Cub was not expensive... but all the extras needed are. Transmitter, charger, batteries, etc. All the extras are essentially permanent items and so they are a one time expense.

They might be expensive, but look at them as an investment into the hobby. For example, batteries are technically consumables; they don't last forever, but with proper care, can last several years. The transmitter will be usable for a LONG time, and the DX9 is probably all the radio most RC pilots will ever need, unless you get into some of the top end sailplanes or warbirds. There you may have flaps, retractable landing gear, individual rudders and ailerons, smoke trails that you turn on and off on the gas powered motors, etc. that utilize all of those channels. And honestly, that's pretty rare that most pilots ever need those, since it's getting pretty specialized. :)

Battery chargers - there are lots of good ones, and there are lots of cheap ones. Cheaper ones take longer to charge, or can only charge one type of battery, or may even require a separate power supply to put a charge into some of the battery packs. Others may be AC or DC only. I personally prefer having one that can do either AC or DC; that way I can use it at home to charge, then take it to the field where we have solar panels and a DC charging station; I can also charge off of my car battery if I'm at a field that doesn't have AC or DC charging stations! Lots of little things to consider when you invest in a quality charger - the cheapest option isn't always the best solution. :)

Headbang

Master member
Look at the bright side of things your screen is a tad cleaner because of me :LOL::ROFLMAO::LOL::ROFLMAO:

And I do second @sprzout the edge is a plane that requires a ton of practice. I only recently managed to fly full batteries on mine and I am no where close to handling the plane like it should be handled. The forces acting on the wing are equal top and bottom which makes it want to dive each time you let go of the sticks. It’s not a plane that can’t be mastered but you need practice and would very discouraging for someone new to the hobby or one that has come back after a few years. Don’t like seeing ppl step away just because they choose the wrong plane to start with :).
Quick note on your edge. If it dives when you let go of the sticks, you are nose heavy. A properly balanced edge will fly invert or not at 3/4 throttle level hands off. Edges must always be neutral or a bit tail heavy to fly right.

mayan

Legendary member
@sprzout i also have a charger that can connect to the car battery never used it though it seems scary to me and tips?

Quick note on your edge. If it dives when you let go of the sticks, you are nose heavy. A properly balanced edge will fly invert or not at 3/4 throttle level hands off. Edges must always be neutral or a bit tail heavy to fly right.
Thanks for the tip I’ll check it out :).

sprzout

Mentor
@sprzout i also have a charger that can connect to the car battery never used it though it seems scary to me and tips?

Thanks for the tip I’ll check it out :).

Shouldn't be at all. Just connect your leads to your charger first, then connect the clips to the battery terminals. It's the same principle for charging from most solar panels, since they generate into DC power. Just make sure your charger can support DC power of 11-18 volts, and check to see if your charger requires a different connection (If it's an AC/DC charger, the AC connector will go into a transformer and then in to the charger, or will go into a transformer inside the charger).

I have a HiTec RDX1, which has an XT60 connector that I soldered up some 14 gauge wire to and ran it to two battery terminal clamps that I then soldered on. Found the clamps at Walmart; don't remember if they were in the automotive or the fishing/marine area since they're both right next to each other at my store. But it was by the batteries and trolling motors, if that helps; you should be able to find something similar at an automotive or even a marine/fishing store near the fishing electric motors. Just look for battery clamps; you don't want the giant ones that you'd see on jumper cables - these are smaller and look more like they're used for a trickle charger for a car battery, or a Battery Tender....

mayan

Legendary member
Shouldn't be at all. Just connect your leads to your charger first, then connect the clips to the battery terminals. It's the same principle for charging from most solar panels, since they generate into DC power. Just make sure your charger can support DC power of 11-18 volts, and check to see if your charger requires a different connection (If it's an AC/DC charger, the AC connector will go into a transformer and then in to the charger, or will go into a transformer inside the charger).

I have a HiTec RDX1, which has an XT60 connector that I soldered up some 14 gauge wire to and ran it to two battery terminal clamps that I then soldered on. Found the clamps at Walmart; don't remember if they were in the automotive or the fishing/marine area since they're both right next to each other at my store. But it was by the batteries and trolling motors, if that helps; you should be able to find something similar at an automotive or even a marine/fishing store near the fishing electric motors. Just look for battery clamps; you don't want the giant ones that you'd see on jumper cables - these are smaller and look more like they're used for a trickle charger for a car battery, or a Battery Tender....
I am not at home at the moment but when I get back I’ll post the picture of what I have so you can let me know what you think.

davidkdk

I have to remove an air intake assembly in order to get to battery in my car... dumbest design ever. Could I use previously named "cigarette lighter", now politically correctly named "accessory socket" instead?

jross

Could I use previously named "cigarette lighter", now politically correctly named "accessory socket" instead?
Yes. It's 12 volt power just like your battery. Only catch might be the socket may not be powered with the key off.

Headbang

Master member
I have to remove an air intake assembly in order to get to battery in my car... dumbest design ever. Could I use previously named "cigarette lighter", now politically correctly named "accessory socket" instead?
Make note of the fuse before you do, battery chargers use a lot of power, those sockets often have only a 5amp fuse. DO NOT! modify the fuse, just look before you do it and make sure you have a spare fuse on hand.

jross

I have a DC Pro-LB6 charger that works fine off my cigarette lighter. I use it in a pinch. I have a 12 volt charging station I generally bring to the field. Will charge a swack of batteries.

sprzout

Mentor
I have a DC Pro-LB6 charger that works fine off my cigarette lighter. I use it in a pinch. I have a 12 volt charging station I generally bring to the field. Will charge a swack of batteries.

I know a couple of guys that bring a deep cycle battery that they bought at a marine boating store; they charge it with a battery tender, load the marine battery into their cars, and bring it to the field where they fly. Then, they just charge off of that to a DC charger.

As @Headbang mentioned, though - be careful with charging from the cigarette lighter; sometimes pulling a bunch of wattage and amps to charge your batteries can fry your circuits through the "accessory socket". That's why most people charge off of the battery terminals themselves...

Headbang

Master member
This is my setup. 2 in series providing chargers with 24v for better 6s charging.
20190526_202903.jpg 20190526_202920.jpg

Headbang

Master member
Great setup! More than what I can do since I just drive my Mustang out to the field and can BARELY fit my Sea Duck in the trunk with the back seats down; I don't have the room for the batteries! LOL
I do not have much room in my jeep either. That setup is in a trailer, quick hookup and go.

Okay I pulled the pin and ordered tiny trainer and a Spektrum 6 channel transmitter and compatible receiver. Due in next Tuesday.

So 2 questions.

On this board do you do build posts and do you need another, "I built an Tiny Trainer post" ? :)

Second question, if i should fail, flop, get frustrated or bored, is there a place here to sell this gear off? :(

mayan

Legendary member
Okay I pulled the pin and ordered tiny trainer and a Spektrum 6 channel transmitter and compatible receiver. Due in next Tuesday.

So 2 questions.

On this board do you do build posts and do you need another, "I built an Tiny Trainer post" ? :)

Second question, if i should fail, flop, get frustrated or bored, is there a place here to sell this gear off? :(
Good luck. Posting here would be fine, although if you have a specific question a new thread can get more attention. If you get bored you can also try selling here on the forum, there is a area for that.

Headbang

Master member

So 2 questions.

Always room for another build log. Every bit of information adds positively to the whole!