6x30 vs. 6x45

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
I'm getting together an order with FT for a new charger. I'm in the free shipping range, so I wanted to add some propellers. They don't have any 6x3 in stock, but they've got 6x45 on sale. My understanding thus far is that the 6x3 prop would pull the plane through the air faster than the 6x45, and that's pretty much the extent of my knowledge.

The A-Pack Mighty Mini's call for a 6x3. Would I even notice a difference using 6x45 instead?

Grifflyer

WWII fanatic
I'm getting together an order with FT for a new charger. I'm in the free shipping range, so I wanted to add some propellers. They don't have any 6x3 in stock, but they've got 6x45 on sale. My understanding thus far is that the 6x3 prop would pull the plane through the air faster than the 6x45, and that's pretty much the extent of my knowledge.

The A-Pack Mighty Mini's call for a 6x3. Would I even notice a difference using 6x45 instead?
The 6x4.5 will provide more thrust than the 6x3 and I've always used the 6x4.5's

For future reference the first number is the diameter of the prop and the second it how for it moves in a perfect environment, both will use the same measurement (in you case inches)

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT

@Grifflyer is spot on but there is a qualifier to consider. It the motor is high kV and the prop is a cheap plastic prop you could end up throwing blades off of the prop because the cheap props are less rigid or strong and with some decent power the prop blades can want to flex forward and after a few flights this flex leads to a fatigue crack and explosive blade failure!

Be warned!

Have fun!

sprzout

Knower of useless information
Mentor

As @Grifflyer noted, the 6x4.5 props will move the plane through the air faster than the 6x3 prop. The theory behind it is that for 1 rotation with the 6x3 prop, the plane will move 3 inches. With one rotation of the 6x4.5 prop, it moves 4.5 inches. This is not without a cost, however; you are putting more stress on the motor, so you run the risk of wearing it out more quickly or possibly frying equipment *IF* the equipment is not geared to handle it. Your pack shouldn't have any problem running it, but be aware that there are potential consequences to using different sized props.

CarolineTyler

Legendary member
The A-Pack uses the EMAX MT1806 and according to their website it will take a 6045, but look at the efficiency, you will gain speed and thrust at the cost of noticeably shorter flight times.
MT1806-1430KV.jpg

sprzout

Mentor
The A-Pack uses the EMAX MT1806 and according to their website it will take a 6045, but look at the efficiency, you will gain speed and thrust at the cost of noticeably shorter flight times.

That's another good point, something I should have mentioned and didn't - longer flight times vs. speed...:)

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
Thanks ya'll for broadening my understanding. I think I would actually prefer the 6x3 at this stage in my game. At $0.59 a pair for GemFan and $0.79 for four HQ Durables, though? I ordered some 6x45s. Ok. Lots of them. :)

sprzout

Mentor
Thanks ya'll for broadening my understanding. I think I would actually prefer the 6x3 at this stage in my game. At $0.59 a pair for GemFan and $0.79 for four HQ Durables, though? I ordered some 6x45s. Ok. Lots of them. :)

Gemfans are ok, but I've had HQs that were REALLY brittle. They're good to have as cheap props to just get you through some sessions of flying and to scratch your itch, but I would only use them until something like an APC prop came in stock.

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
In my experience the HQ's are indeed brittle. Chances are, I'll be breaking props anyway, so I got a stock of them at thirty cents per prop. The Durables are supposed to be a little better than their standard line. I'll find out. It's the same with the GemFans. I expect to break them, so I got a bunch.

I figure when I'm not landing nose first, anymore it will be time to upgrade to a better prop. In the meantime, a prop that doesn't break won't do me any better once I beat it into an unrecognizable shape. :) Once I can consistently land safely, It'll be time to upgrade to the APCs, I think.

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
In my experience the HQ's are indeed brittle. Chances are, I'll be breaking props anyway, so I got a stock of them at thirty cents per prop. The Durables are supposed to be a little better than their standard line. I'll find out. It's the same with the GemFans. I expect to break them, so I got a bunch.

I figure when I'm not landing nose first, anymore it will be time to upgrade to a better prop. In the meantime, a prop that doesn't break won't do me any better once I beat it into an unrecognizable shape. :) Once I can consistently land safely, It'll be time to upgrade to the APCs, I think.
If you remember back to my Quick Trick, (the red and yellow racer), I had only a single flight with a 6 x 4.5 Gemfan. On the second flight the prop threw a blade the first time I opened the throttle to full. The vibration was so severe that the motor was ripped from its plywood mount and ended up dangling on 2 of its wires as I coasted in for an emergency landing. The motor was only a 2200kV running on 3S.

I have since fitted an APC 6 x 4 and have many flights without issue. If you are running a high kV motor and a substandard prop your money savings on the prop could easily be eaten up by having the plane shake it self to pieces at altitude showering pieces all over the field!

Perhaps I am being a pessimist but such is my luck!

Have fun!