6x3Prop on an 1806

Capt Kevin

I've read many posts of members using a 6x3 prop on an 1806 motor. Here's a bad picture of my result. The thickness of the prop's center section won't allow the nut to tighten down to the nylon locking insert.
What am I missing here?
The motor and prop came from FT. IMG_20200907_185205.jpg

TEAJR66

Flite is good
Mentor
worst case scenario, use a prop reamer to open the hole on the prop. In that case, you will need to use the appropriate prop to shaft adapter disc that came with the props.

If you do not have a prop reamer, you can try a 3/16" drill bit. Maybe a 1/4". If you use a drill bit, be very careful to keep the hole straight through the center of the prop.

Capt Kevin

Thanks. But the issue isn't with the diameter of the hole, but the thickness of the plastic exceeds the shoulder length of the motor shaft so I can only get the nut half way on. Is there such a thing as a Thin 6x3 prop?

Last edited:

Hondo76251

Legendary member
Not sure what tools you have available but i have used a small end mill bit in the drill press to clearance room for the prop nut before, but most of the time the nut will hold just fine even if its not all the way to the nylon if you tighten it enough...

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
I've read many posts of members using a 6x3 prop on an 1806 motor. Here's a bad picture of my result. The thickness of the prop's center section won't allow the nut to tighten down to the nylon locking insert.
What am I missing here?
The motor and prop came from FT. View attachment 178641
Make sure the prop is as far down on the shaft as it can go! Often times it’s pretty tight at the bottom so be sure that you press it on nice and tight. If the but doesn’t go on all the way still, it’s not a huge deal - just make sure it’s really tight and you should be fine.

leaded50

Legendary member
if necessary, you can use a reamer to get the locknut, go further indifr prop, by careful working, just down a couple mm at diameter of the nut.

quorneng

Master member
Technically with a conventional CCW prop and a normal RH prop shaft thread you do not need a lock nut as the rotation direction will make the nut self tightening particularly with electric.
Single cylinder IC is a bit different as there is a torque reversal at every piston stroke.

That might be it. (It's already been said above.) My first motor & prop was the "A" kit, and if I remember right the prop took a little bit of force to be seated all the way against the motor face.

What am I missing here?
The motor and prop came from FT. View attachment 178641
As long as its tight it should be fine, I once used a 7x3 on that motor and it was just fine.