75" Gee Bee R1 build log and questions thread

Pilot-294

Well dependant on the price i may have it done. Or i may hand make all the parts for the experiance and for something to do. Just to find where to buy balsa for this. Ill start looking into cutters and balsa prices

CrashRecovery

I'm a care bear...Really?
Mentor
Wow, if I only had the room to do some of this stuff. Maybe if the wife and I really move forward with the house idea and bring my parents down for an inlaw apartment I will have room to make a builders area. It really peeves her when I bring my cutting mat out and take up the whole kitchen table.

Pilot-294

Ill look into it. But i may just make the parts myself. I have a few things i need to figure out with the plans now. Im changing all the control rods and horns to be completely hidden. Im trying to figure out how to paint monokote. And im working on redesigning the tail for a steerable tailwheel. I want everything on this bird to be hidden and i may add scale lights and stuff to make it super scale. I want her to have a presence at the field that inspires awe

Ak Flyer

Fly the wings off
Mentor
Why don't you go with a fabric covering. I think it paints better and has a better scale look.

Pilot-294

Well i started the build today. Got some wood and spare time so now im fabricating ribs for the wing. So far so decent but it will take some time before i know how well itll turn out. Teach will load a pic of my start later. Couple of things i decided to do. Im doing all balsa no carbon for certain parts. Im fiberglassing a cowl and wheel pants. Fabric covering. And a few other design changes to follow. Wish me luck.

earthsciteach

Jesse called me yesterday with ideas of how he plans on building this plane. It is going to very impressive! Here's the pic:

Attachments

• Gee Bee build.jpg
    Gee Bee build.jpg
    168.6 KB · Views: 28

Pilot-294

Well i did the rear right wing spar today and mounted the dihedral braces. Soon ill be mounting mid wing ribs and getting the L E mounted. Getting excited to see it take shape. And seeing the spar with ribs on it made me get a good feel on the scale of this beast and with the spars held in and wingtips in she towers over me. And shes looking more and more like an awesome and expensive hangar queen haha. But im also getting excited to fly (crash) this bird.hopefully seeing her take shape will get me more motivated to work harder on it lol. Still deciding between standard red and white or something cooler for a personal touch. Probably just gonna do red and white for scale appearance

Pilot-294

Are you intending on a lot of flying?
Fuel cost are not something to forget on 2-stroke large glow engines.
4 stroke are a lot better in fuel consumption - and sound.
Gas is another thing - a lot cheaper in fuel than glow.
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/...cc_Gas_engine_w_CD_Ignition_3_9HP_2_94kw.html
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__23040__DM_33_Gas_engine_w_CD_Ignition_3_8HP_33cc.html
I have no personal knowledge of the gas enges above byt i assume that they will pull more scale like propellers.
Googel will tell if the motors are OK i assume.........

i may end up going with the second engine. looks sleightly nicer but it depends on if i find more reviews on it. if not the first one may be my pick. im looking foreward to getting one and breaking in my first motor. im gonna do some more shopping around today.