76" Tiger Moth Project.

Should I build this electric, gas, or 4c glow?

• Total voters

bicyclemonkey

Flying Derp
Mentor
Uh, Oh. I found some damage in the box. Not enough to warrant going through the hassle of returning for an exchange. I may do an "unboxing" video later and post it here. My recorded voice is horrible so maybe I'll just take pics. :rolleyes:

earthsciteach

HOLD ON ONE SECOND! Let's talk about Crazy Bob for a moment.

That video was a MAIDEN? Crazy Bob gets the Moth 3/4 of a wingspan off the ground and does a roll - ON THE MAIDEN?
I<3 Crazy Bob!

I'm glad he didn't do that with my new airplane. It would have necessitated a change in underpants.

WarbirdFan66

...Crazy Bob gets the Moth 3/4 of a wingspan off the ground and does a roll - ON THE MAIDEN?

I bet it was not "his" first maiden, anyway it is a nice stunt with a big plane like that i you ask me...but the Moth flys as light as a feather, not to mention she looks vey nice in the air :)

bicyclemonkey

Flying Derp
Mentor
HOLD ON ONE SECOND! Let's talk about Crazy Bob for a moment.

That video was a MAIDEN? Crazy Bob gets the Moth 3/4 of a wingspan off the ground and does a roll - ON THE MAIDEN?
I<3 Crazy Bob!

I'm glad he didn't do that with my new airplane. It would have necessitated a change in underpants.

I love the comment on his video on YouTube that says "I bet Crazy Bob can never be called "scale flying Bob" :p

Ak Flyer

Fly the wings off
Mentor
I got it to come up. It looks like the same engine. I tried their shipping calculator and it came to 206.99 total. That's a screaming deal for an O.S. If it's legit and you get the right motor let me know and I'll probably get that .81 from them.

bicyclemonkey

Flying Derp
Mentor
I got it to come up. It looks like the same engine. I tried their shipping calculator and it came to 206.99 total. That's a screaming deal for an O.S. If it's legit and you get the right motor let me know and I'll probably get that .81 from them.
I don't think I'll go there. Their only forms of payment accepted are wire transfer and Western Union. If they'd take AmEx I'd have fraud protection, so no-go.

Ak Flyer

Fly the wings off
Mentor
Found your engine. Would make that plane awesome.
SAIE325R5D-2.jpg

bicyclemonkey

Flying Derp
Mentor
I don't know...I've never done nitro and like the thought and sound of the 4-stroke but everyone at my club who runs glow complains about it. The ones who don't are the one's who've already switched over to gas and the gas guys say they'll never go back. The guys who've run glow for a long time always comment about how they've spent a small fortune on Windex and paper towels alone for wiping down their plane after they're done flying for the day.

Ak Flyer

Fly the wings off
Mentor
I agree that the glow is a pain. It's cheaper to get into initially but it costs more in the long run. Gas really is the way to go but I'm in the position of not having small enough gas motors and I would have to change so much to make it work. The extra weight would throw off my cg unless I spent the money and bought the saito. It's not practical for me, but if I was starting a new build I would definitely go gas.

Out of nitro, four stroke is the way for me but gas would be ideal. I'm still trying to decide which brand of gas motor I would go for on a larger plane. I really want to build a 50cc gas supercub.

bicyclemonkey

Flying Derp
Mentor
The 20cc gas motors are cheaper than the 1.20 4c glow at HK at least. So, cheaper to get into and cheaper to operate. I'm really not concerned with the price of the glow fuel though. I am concerned about the gas motor fitting since a rear carb may make the motor too long and a side carb will be too wide unless I hack up the cowl. I believe the gas engines are more fuel efficient than the glow and I'd get longer flight times with the same size fuel tank going gas over glow.

Last edited:

bicyclemonkey

Flying Derp
Mentor
I was out at the club field flying my E-Flite Advance today and talked to some people about the Tiger Moth. I was surprised that most people, even a few that do only fuel were giving the vote for electric power. One of the memorable comments was something about the Tiger Moth being graceful and with electric it'd be a much smoother fly than glo or gas rattling the servos to death.

Last edited: