76" Tiger Moth Project.

Should I build this electric, gas, or 4c glow?

• Total voters

bicyclemonkey

Flying Derp
Mentor
Look what will arrive tomorrow (2/17). I'm thinking of converting it to electric.

http://www.nitroplanes.com/tiger-moth-arf-rc-bipe-aircraft.html

tigermoth1200a.jpg

tigermoth1200c.jpg

tigermoth1200j.jpg

I love the ease of electric too but this plane screams for a four stroke. My son and I have a Sopwith with a Saito 4c and it sounds amazing.

Ak Flyer

Fly the wings off
Mentor
+1 for a four stroke. Even better would be a 20cc gas motor. Nitro is just too expensive.

FlyingMonkey

Bought Another Trailer
Staff member
Admin
It pains me to do this, as much as I am always promoting electric power. But yeah, that thing would be awesome with a gas engine.

bicyclemonkey

Flying Derp
Mentor
I like the ability to 'gas-n-go' with fuel but the fuel engines are SOOOOOO loud. My first thought actually was 4 stroke. Where's the recommended place for fuel engines? I'm talking cheap here...I'm used to paying HK prices for brushless motors lol.

MORE VOTES!!!

bicyclemonkey

Flying Derp
Mentor
Here are the advertised specs:

Wing span: 76in / 1930mm
Wing area: 1830sq in / 118 sq dm
Flying weight: 9.0lb / 4086g
uselage length: 65.5 in / 1664 mm
Engine Required: 4c 1.40cu in
Radio Required: 4 channels,5 servos

Here's a guy flying it on a Power 60 and 6s. From what I've read of other's that have built it, it's probably going to be closer to 12lbs regardless of motor/engine.

Ak Flyer

Fly the wings off
Mentor
I like the ability to 'gas-n-go' with fuel but the fuel engines are SOOOOOO loud. My first thought actually was 4 stroke. Where's the recommended place for fuel engines? I'm talking cheap here...I'm used to paying HK prices for brushless motors lol.

You can get good motors for cheap prices but engines are a different story. You're talking about a 76" model. It probably doesn't have the best glide properties. You don't want to take chances on an extra cheap engine. I am going to put a nitro four stroke on my four star because the gas engines are too heavy for this particular model except for the saito which is expensive. I'm going to use a magnum four stroke. They are really reliable and much better priced.
The RCG motors don't have a great reputation. The DLE's and DA's do but you pay for it.

JohnnyV

Nice looking plane for sure.... I voted 4stroke and then watched the video.... I dunno will a dle 30 fit in that cowl? That would be your best option imho... Sure would sound better than that whiney thing he was using in a plane like that... Lol. I'm just getting started with electrics... Can you tell? Still not used to the quiet, or the smell...

Where do you fly at fentonflyer? Buder park?

bicyclemonkey

Flying Derp
Mentor
I'm going to use a magnum four stroke. They are really reliable and much better priced.
The RCG motors don't have a great reputation.

Where do you get your Magnum engines if they're cheaper than the ASP from HobbyKing...ASP and Magnum are identical, just rebranded from what I hear.

Nice looking plane for sure.... I voted 4stroke and then watched the video.... I dunno will a dle 30 fit in that cowl? That would be your best option imho... Sure would sound better than that whiney thing he was using in a plane like that... Lol. I'm just getting started with electrics... Can you tell? Still not used to the quiet, or the smell...

I think a DLE 30 too much motor for that plane...I think the 20cc would be a better fit. I'm concerned about the gas motor fitting though. I think the 20cc that has a carb in the back will be too long for the cowl and with a side carb motor I'll have to hack the cowl up too much.

Ak Flyer

Fly the wings off
Mentor
These guys are cheaper than tower.
http://www.hobbypeople.net/index.ph...://www.hobbypeople.net/index.php/magnum-sale/

A .91 for 160 bucks is pretty damn good. Tower has it for 170.

I don't know about them being the same, but I'm getting rid of an ASP 2 stroke which liked to quit mid air resulting in a two piece fuselage. I won't trust it again. I haven't been able to find anyone who will stand up for ASP engines, but I know lots of people who swear by the Magnum 4 strokes. In a foamie I'll take chances but with a plane like this, I'll pay a little more for a name I can feel confident about.

Here's the ASP .91 for 130.
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__8984__ASP_FS91AR_Four_Stroke_Glow_Engine.html

Looks the same, but so do a DA and DLE and they are not.

So an ASP for 130 or a Magnum for 160. That's 30 bucks that you'll probably make up for in shipping and you'll get the Magnum a lot sooner. I'll pay the extra bit for the peace of mind when I send up a model I've spent so much time rebuilding.

Now don't get me wrong I like electric power for a lot of things but there's no way an electric is as cool as a nitro or gas. I own both and I prefer the instant performance and no tuning of the electric for high performance models, but you can't deny the cool of firing up a gasser. They are much more fun in my opinion and I own both.

That said, I don't like the sound of 2 stroke nitro's. I find them irritating but still more cool than electric. I like the gas motors or four stroke nitros. They sound real and perform the way I like.

Here's my fleet.
The fleet (1280x722).jpg

Last edited: