80+ MPH 800mm FT Spitfire

elayas84

DUMB QUESTION...

Hello im new building in Foam Board im from Guadalajara Mexico and i bought a foam board but it has paper and foam between like a sandwich, i want to know of when you build the planes you peel that paper off or you build it with the paper on it? because it is too hard to cut that foam board with a cutter....

thanks for your help and sorry for my english... :(

nerdnic

nerdnic.com
Mentor
Hello im new building in Foam Board im from Guadalajara Mexico and i bought a foam board but it has paper and foam between like a sandwich, i want to know of when you build the planes you peel that paper off or you build it with the paper on it? because it is too hard to cut that foam board with a cutter....

thanks for your help and sorry for my english... :(

Hi there. For all the FliteTest planes you will leave the paper on the foam board. The Dollar Tree foam board that we usually use is not hard to cut with a cutter but there are some brands that are more difficult to cut due to the glue that is used. But you should still be able to cut it. Make sure your razor blade is very sharp. I will usually use 1 razor blade per plane I build.

elayas84

Hi there. For all the FliteTest planes you will leave the paper on the foam board. The Dollar Tree foam board that we usually use is not hard to cut with a cutter but there are some brands that are more difficult to cut due to the glue that is used. But you should still be able to cut it. Make sure your razor blade is very sharp. I will usually use 1 razor blade per plane I build.

nerdnic Thank you very much for your answer and help well i will build my first spitfire and i hope everything goes well hehehe :p

Lorenzo

Well, she flies great - fast, but not insane fast, which is just what I was shooting for. I had a bit of a hiccup yesterday with a failed takeoff, not sure if I was too slow to the transmitter or if the prop came loose. Anyway, some repairs were in order. Thanks again for the designs, I definitely like the scaled-down models, they remind me of my first RC kit addiction - the old GWS foamie warbirds.

Spit(2).jpg

nerdnic

nerdnic.com
Mentor
Good work! I like the paint job!

I think the 800mm size is a great mix of performance and practicality. They are a blast to fly that's for sure.

Hmm, I snagged the 2700kv motor you used recently at a swap meet for peanuts. Now I look at it and wonder what the hell I want to do with it, and I see your thread and plane.

Now I have a functional power system to assemble from the parts bin, which gets me halfway there.

Then I realize I have an EPP tech one mustang on the shelf that I've gotten bored with, 33" wingspan and slow as hell. I might be able to taco the wings pulling out of a dive with this power system, if I can carve out enough foam for an 1800 or 2200 mah lipo without destroying the plane.

Scary

bobrob5k

hey, I'm thinking of using your plans to build this awesome looking spit, could you help a noob out and give us a few more details about finishing the build? e.g position of CoG and throws? any angles on the motor mount? I believe you said you angle it down a few degrees to stop it climbing too steep at full throttle? what about torque rolls? cheers! :)

nerdnic

nerdnic.com
Mentor
Hi there,

CG is same as full size. For throws I have the ail at full, the spit roles slow, but start at 50% and see how you like it. For elevator start at 25% and go up from there, this thing is REALLY elevator twitchy.

For the motor mount, I just give it a few down, the torque roll isn't that bad and you can correct it easily.

Hope this helps!

MikeBg

Nerdnic,

I know this question is out of context for this thread but are any of your designs being sold as laser cut kits???

MikeBg

nerdnic

nerdnic.com
Mentor
Hi there MikeBg,

At this time no. I've been looking into making this a reality, though. So hopefully in the future :)

MikeBg

Hi Nerdnic,
Do you think there is a market for laser cut kits of plane like yours?? Here is why I ask, I am thinking about a start-up business that would make and sell foam board kits that are a more advanced design then the ones FT sells. I am just kicking the idea around at this point, trying to figure out if it would work or not. Do you have any have any thoughts on the subject??

MikeBg

AkimboGlueGuns

Biplane Guy
Mentor
If there is a market for the FT planes, then there'll be plenty of market from people that want to build bigger and more complex planes from a common material. Just look at beyond the wheel RC. I'm sure if he was cutting kits that people would buy them.

ruud

I built a slightly smaller Spitfire (60% scale of the original, ~25.5"/650mm wingspan) which fits the Mighty Mini style power pod exactly. It still flies just like the big one.

Ace13

Would you send me the plans for the slightly smaller spitfire. I have built 8 spit fires and destroyed 7 upon launching. I was wondering if I could get the mini to fly better.

ruud

I just printed the normal FT Spitfire plans at 60% and made adjustments as I went along.

jayz 84

Posted a thousand or more times
ho do you print at 60%? I am sort of a noob if you cant tell. :)

Yes you can print the plans at 60% but what you are going to want to do is just cut off your a&b fold then put it together that way, your tab hole will have to be cut larger too, and one last thing you will have to print out a 60% power pod too. And that would be the max size i would go if you are planing to use the mini power setup. And if you are have trouble on your launches. Be sure to turn your rates down pretty low so you are not over controling on your take off, ending in stalls or nose dives. set your rates around 50%