Prop 6x4 APC
ESC 60amp Detrum
Battery 45c 2000mah 3S
AUW 580g

PICTURES
photo 2.JPG

photo 4.JPG

photo 3.JPG

UPDATE: I built a new, faster 800mm Spitfire! Check it out here.

Last edited:
Reactions: Inq

Foam Addict

Squirrel member
I don't even want to know what that thing's wing loading is!:p

She looks good! Does she drop a wing in a stall?

nerdnic

nerdnic.com
Mentor
I don't even want to know what that thing's wing loading is!:p

She looks good! Does she drop a wing in a stall?

How do I figure out wing loading? If you've flown the full size FT Spitfire then you've basically flown the 800mm version. It feels and performs almost exactly the same. The only difference I can call out is slow speed glides. My full size can glide with no motor and neutral sticks really well. The 800mm will start to nose in pretty early and requires some elevator to glide steady.

oatman

That is cool as all get out!

NICE!

Close up that front around the bats and get a speed type canopy on it and maybe clip the wings a bit and that thing will push 100 I bet. It really looks faster than 80 mph. Throw on a 7x6 if the motor and esc can handle it. I think the increased diameter drag will more than be offset by the increased power.

It is WAAAY faster than my 800mm FMS 109 was on 3S 1400kv with 7x6 and 200 watt. And that was a good 100g - 150g lighter and sleeker.

... on never mind... i misread your post as 1700kv ... 2700kv !!! that is crazy. I don't think the 7x6 will work :)

nerdnic

nerdnic.com
Mentor
I was flying a Hobbyzone Delta Ray.

Nice! I don't remember which motor setup I was running that day. I have a few that I swap between depending on what type of flying I wanna do.

Last edited:
Reactions: Inq

nerdnic

nerdnic.com
Mentor
That is cool as all get out!

NICE!

Close up that front around the bats and get a speed type canopy on it and maybe clip the wings a bit and that thing will push 100 I bet. It really looks faster than 80 mph. Throw on a 7x6 if the motor and esc can handle it. I think the increased diameter drag will more than be offset by the increased power.

It is WAAAY faster than my 800mm FMS 109 was on 3S 1400kv with 7x6 and 200 watt. And that was a good 100g - 150g lighter and sleeker.

... on never mind... i misread your post as 1700kv ... 2700kv !!! that is crazy. I don't think the 7x6 will work :)

I'm pushing 530W and 45a with the 6x4 prop so I can't go up any bigger. I did just order a 2200kv 700w motor that will use a 7x6 for this same plane. I'll post a video of it once I can get one :)

As far as the canopy goes I actually have a pepsi bottle covering it, but it's hard to see from the photo. I have thought about adding a nose covering too but I'm worried my ESC might get too hot. I'll have to play around with it.

I am building a 800mm FT Mustang right now that I'm trying to make more 'slippery' hoping to get a few more MPH out of it.

Last edited:

oatman

I'm pushing 530W and 45a with the 6x4 prop so I can't go up any bigger. I did just order a 2200kv 700w motor that will use a 7x6 for this same plane. I'll post a video of it once I can get one :)

As far as the canopy goes I actually have a pepsi bottle covering it, but it's hard to see from the photo. I have thought about adding a nose covering too but I'm worried my ESC might get too hot. I'll have to play around with it.

I am building a 800mm FT Mustang right now that I'm trying to make more 'slippery' hoping to get a few more MPH out of it.

At 100mph you shouldn't need more than a small vent and exit hole further back to have enough cooling I should think.

Definitely post re you 800mm mustang. I'm definitely interested in the 800mm size and was thinking the same thing ... So why not let you Guinee pig for me:). I can't decide if I want to do that or ultramicros 800mm 109.

But having blown up my fT spit... I gotta do something with the surviving electronics and can't just do another spit ... Been there done that... Great as it was.

MTL_Greg

Good job Nic, this is a nice rocket ship!
Hard to believe it´s powered by only 3s and not 4s... That NTM 2700 pulls hard.

Did you build the wing with the standard spar or did you reinforce with an arrow shaft or something? Is your wing thinner to reduce drag (and lift) at those speeds? It doesn't appear floaty at all.

Nice flying!
[g]

nerdnic

nerdnic.com
Mentor
At 100mph you shouldn't need more than a small vent and exit hole further back to have enough cooling I should think.

Definitely post re you 800mm mustang. I'm definitely interested in the 800mm size and was thinking the same thing ... So why not let you Guinee pig for me:). I can't decide if I want to do that or ultramicros 800mm 109.

But having blown up my fT spit... I gotta do something with the surviving electronics and can't just do another spit ... Been there done that... Great as it was.

My 800mm Mustang is almost done so I will let you know! The full sized Spit and 800mm handle the same for the most part so if you want something new, I don't think the smaller guy will be exciting.

Last edited:

nerdnic

nerdnic.com
Mentor
Good job Nic, this is a nice rocket ship!
Hard to believe it´s powered by only 3s and not 4s... That NTM 2700 pulls hard.

Did you build the wing with the standard spar or did you reinforce with an arrow shaft or something? Is your wing thinner to reduce drag (and lift) at those speeds? It doesn't appear floaty at all.

Nice flying!
[g]

I am surprised this much power is coming from 3S also, it keeps up with the 4S birds the same size.

For the wing I used a wood dowel. It actually flexes a lot so my 800mm Mustang is being built with an aluminum spar. I didn't alter the wing design at all! The motor sits at a pretty decent negative angle, though. When I had it neutral first I would get crazy steep climbs at full throttle.

nerdnic

nerdnic.com
Mentor
Sad day :(

photo 1 (1).JPG

I guess this is why you aren't supposed to watch other planes flying while you're also flying. Tall grass + full speed + low flying is not good for foamboard... or my ego.

BENJAS

That's bad luck

That's bad luck, not to relax the mood, I admire your work, a query, which engine degrees incidence

nerdnic

nerdnic.com
Mentor
I only have it a few degrees and then I use a little down trim also. Without the combination of the two I can't keep her level.

BENJAS

thank you very much

then I put two right degrees and two degrees down is right or more increase.