• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

800 Series | nnSpitfire

jaredstrees

Maiden flight went well! Sorry guys, no video, I had a small break in the weather and jumped. It was still windier than I’d like for a maiden, 12 - 15mph but at least it was blowing in the right direction! I only put one pack through her but she tracks great and looks good doing it. Couple clicks of down trim and she flew straight even in the gusts. Great plane, Nic! Thanks! can’t wait to get decent weather to really get her going!

Here's my mini spitfire. 85% size of provided plans. I used some new techniques, and I'm pretty happy with the outcome, I modified hatch a bit, it's shorter and slides vertically and holds on 2 magnets. Added aluminium spar, modified speed wing to underchamber, put elevator steering like in hien and added doublers in fuse. I'm using XPS so I had to mod it. Everything is covered with packing tape (that's why it's red) and fuse box is made by 2x 45° bevels. I decided to go without rudder as nic said it's not effective due to long fuse. Elevator halves are connected with wire to reduce weight. AUW is 255g with 1100mAh 3s lipo.

Attachments

Last edited:
Hi
About to build this,looks fairly flat.
Has it got any dihedral,if so, how much?
Was thinking if it doesn’t have any,might add some like FT did with their spit using a dihedral spar?
Forgot to mention only want it running at scale speed so not going to use basswood or aluminium spar,just a foam one.
Any thoughts anyone?
Thanks

Last edited:
Hi
About to build this,looks fairly flat.
Has it got any dihedral,if so, how much?
Was thinking if it doesn’t have any,might add some like FT did with their spit using a dihedral spar?
Forgot to mention only want it running at scale speed so not going to use basswood or aluminium spar,just a foam one.
Any thoughts anyone?
Thanks
It has dihedral. Use basswood template to adjust it and add spar even if you don't want to go for fast setup, trust me, it helps a lot. Just use a piece of aluminium and bend it with pliers to angle of basswood spar template, cut out long and narrow holes in both wing halves, then glue it in.
If you want to use basic setup I think you should consider modifying wing to classic FT undercamber.
Check out my build (last build in this thread), especially photos No.3, 4 and 5. I'm pretty sure it'll help you ;)

Not sure what you mean by classic FT undercamber?
Nic designed fully shaped wings and called it speedwing. It's good but doesn't like low speed, so you may need to redesign it a bit. Check out my build once again and take a look at wing halves - top half is full and bottom only reaches where nic put bevel indicating lines. If you made something designed by FT crew like eg. Mustang or spitfire you'll understand. This wing profile requires less skill and work and handles way better when flying slow but it has more drag than speedwing so you can't achieve very high speed if you put it on your plane, but it's not bad if speed isn't your goal