800 Series | nnSpitfire

xMeox

cut out nearly all parts yesterday. only the canopy and the radiators left to do. Though Im not sure If I want to go with the radiators yet. On the one hand they look awesome and they will protect the servo arms during landings. On the other hand they produce drag and will be a pain to clean after landing in snow..

I tried to add extra detail to the build notes. I knew the build video wouldn't be out for a few weeks after the plans were released. So yes, make sure you read them all the way through :)

I didn't even think to look for instructions until I had nearly finished hehe. It's gone together really nicely though. Maybe I'm just lucky I did it in the right order 😁

cut out nearly all parts yesterday. only the canopy and the radiators left to do. Though Im not sure If I want to go with the radiators yet. On the one hand they look awesome and they will protect the servo arms during landings. On the other hand they produce drag and will be a pain to clean after landing in snow..

I was thinking the same thing but they do look really cool. Also I might try and make some removable la ding gear that I can slot Inot them. I know that's not overly scale but it should work nicely

xMeox

The removable landing gear is an awesome idea! if you manage to pull it off, make sure to post pictures of your design!
for my build, I decided to build the intakes as well. though I have another problem now.. havent got my 9g servos yet.

If I decide to use 5g HCT500 servos, can I use a 26/28 1300kv motor or is it too much for those servos?

jpot1

Elite member
I left the radiator covers off as I figured the first time I belly landed that they were coming off anyway. Learned that the hard way when I first flew my nnMig3.

The removable landing gear is an awesome idea! if you manage to pull it off, make sure to post pictures of your design!
for my build, I decided to build the intakes as well. though I have another problem now.. havent got my 9g servos yet.

If I decide to use 5g HCT500 servos, can I use a 26/28 1300kv motor or is it too much for those servos?

I'm using 5g servos for the ailerons. They are digital metal gear ones though and I've had them on some pretty fast planes before. They are blue arrow ones I think

xMeox

thanks CrossedUpChris. Do you know how much kg they can pull?

Edit: Found some other servos in a simple soarer fuselage. Going to mount the hxt500 (0.6kg) in the wing and the other ones (1.5 kg) in the fuse.

Edit 2: nic the second version of your speed wing is awesome! also the tipps in your build video are amazing! Sadly I managed to get the dihedral wrong, cant get the fuse into the wing. Going to extend the cuts in the wing. Guess the bird will handle a little bit more twitchy than designed ;)

Note: the problem with the dihedral occurred because I didnt check the angle of the aluminum spar

Last edited:

nerdnic

nerdnic.com
Mentor

I was thinking the same thing but they do look really cool. Also I might try and make some removable la ding gear that I can slot Inot them. I know that's not overly scale but it should work nicely

I left the radiator covers off as I figured the first time I belly landed that they were coming off anyway. Learned that the hard way when I first flew my nnMig3.

I haven't had any issues with them ripping off yet, but they definitely help save your servos and reduce the scrapes and dents from belly landing.

nerdnic

nerdnic.com
Mentor
thanks CrossedUpChris. Do you know how much kg they can pull?

Edit: Found some other servos in a simple soarer fuselage. Going to mount the hxt500 (0.6kg) in the wing and the other ones (1.5 kg) in the fuse.

Edit 2: nic the second version of your speed wing is awesome! also the tipps in your build video are amazing! Sadly I managed to get the dihedral wrong, cant get the fuse into the wing. Going to extend the cuts in the wing. Guess the bird will handle a little bit more twitchy than designed ;)

Did you go with just the foam spar? Anyone else have issues getting the wing installed on the fuse?

xMeox

no I went with the aluminium spare. It was my mistake as I didnt checked if the angle of the spar was right before gluing.

Leo Barnes

I love flite test, I've been watching them from when they had about 100,000 subscribers, I'm just now getting my 1st plane, the FT Mighty Mini Mustang, that being said, after having just found all your stuff NerdNic I kinda wish i had gotten you nnP-38, but I recognize that as a person who just got their first FT plane, I probably shouldn't get your Advanced builds just yet. I just wanted to say I'm a huge fan and I wanted to know what plane of yours would be a first good plane for me: Im decent at flying and building.

nerdnic

nerdnic.com
Mentor
I love flite test, I've been watching them from when they had about 100,000 subscribers, I'm just now getting my 1st plane, the FT Mighty Mini Mustang, that being said, after having just found all your stuff NerdNic I kinda wish i had gotten you nnP-38, but I recognize that as a person who just got their first FT plane, I probably shouldn't get your Advanced builds just yet. I just wanted to say I'm a huge fan and I wanted to know what plane of yours would be a first good plane for me: Im decent at flying and building.

Welcome to the forums!

If you're comfortable with foam building and flying then you can't go wrong with my Chipmunk or P-39 (chip is easier to fly). I have a build video for you to follow so there is no guess work. I say give it a shot!

Almost done!

Here's my almost finished build.
I have a bit of toutching up to do on the nose. The way the plans printed out the nose was between 2 sheets. Looking at it now I am guessing it is meant to be shorter or then paper folds back to seal the foam.

I'm gonna try for a nice cammo paint job so I haven't stuck on the canopy or exhaust stack - I'm gonna paint those grey.

Here's a pic anyway:
20170113_152539_resized(1).jpg

nerdnic

nerdnic.com
Mentor
Oh no! Yeah the paper is supposed to fold back [make sure to read the build notes!! :p]

You should be fine, it will just look a little.. off. I'm curious how you got the canopy to line up too without adding the rear section?

Yeah the UK paper size sent me a curve ball on that one with the tiled plans. It's OK though. I can easily remedy the front.

The rear canopy didn't line up on the tiles plans either so I made it a bit longer so I can trim it back. It does line up perfectly thiugh so I might just leave it

xMeox

Just realised that the air intake through the upside of the fuse and the first spacer (A) are quite useless as the power pod is in the way ^^

Painted the first two layers of white and going shopping for colours soon. Not sure what palette Im going with yet. But Im really looking forward to finish this build :)

nerdnic

nerdnic.com
Mentor
Just realised that the air intake through the upside of the fuse and the first spacer (A) are quite useless as the power pod is in the way ^^

Painted the first two layers of white and going shopping for colours soon. Not sure what palette Im going with yet. But Im really looking forward to finish this build :)

lol, oops! I can't believe I didn't catch that :black_eyed: