800 Series | nnSpitfire

jpot1

Elite member
All done. Great build. I went with a basic wing and a single elevator. Also more of an FT style pod with skewers up front. No maiden this weekend unfortunately, 4-6 inches of snow forecast.

IMG_0370.JPG

IMG_0369.JPG

Q3001

Prop?

Hey Nic, what prop do you recommend for a 2205 or 2206 (have a couple extras already) motors on 3s?

Q3001

2300kv works well on 6x4.

Awesome, got plenty of those. I'm not looking for major speed. Might throw on a little FPV system once I get it tuned in, but I'm getting ahead of myself, I have to build it first. I suppose I could throw on a 6x4.5 DAL too then. I have plenty of 30A and 40A ESCs and high C rated batteries... I'll probably keep it light and just run 1500mah 3s on it. What kind of flight times (without FPV system) am I looking at with that kind of setup? Again, not looking for speed or particularly long flight times though.

After months of saying I'm going to do a nerdnic build, I started work on my 800 spit this weekend. The small size is really suited to the grab and go approach I seem to have towards flying over the winter - gotta catch the breaks in the weather during winter!

I got nearly all the parts cut out and got the wing shaped with a thin ally spar epoxied in last night.

I'm trying to keep it fairly light and have a little overlander 1900kv motor and some small 4s batterries that should give it plenty of power. I might add some lightweight wheels as I think the plane will be small enough to land on the little road where I fly.

I have a few planes flying well at the moment so I'm going to take my time and try and give it a cool paint job. I'll post some pics as the build developes

xMeox

Printed out the plans for this plane today. Even with the full size nnP-39 planes already printed and cut I could not resist, the look of this spit is simply too cool to queue it behind another build :)

One question concerning flight characteristics: The FT Spitfire has quite bad rudder control, which I guess is due to its small rudder compared to its big fuse. There for I would like to increase the rudder on your design, but Im not sure by how much and if it makes sense at all. My goal would be to get close to the rudder authority of the sonic nnP-39, which was really good compared to all other warbirds Ive flown. Do you think a 20% bigger rudder would be enough or should I go with the original plans because I wouldnd get god rudder control anyway?

Thanks for the awesome plans! Really looking forward to fly this plane :)

nerdnic

nerdnic.com
Mentor
After months of saying I'm going to do a nerdnic build, I started work on my 800 spit this weekend. The small size is really suited to the grab and go approach I seem to have towards flying over the winter - gotta catch the breaks in the weather during winter!

I got nearly all the parts cut out and got the wing shaped with a thin ally spar epoxied in last night.

I'm trying to keep it fairly light and have a little overlander 1900kv motor and some small 4s batterries that should give it plenty of power. I might add some lightweight wheels as I think the plane will be small enough to land on the little road where I fly.

I have a few planes flying well at the moment so I'm going to take my time and try and give it a cool paint job. I'll post some pics as the build developes

Very nice, I can't wait to see your build!

nerdnic

nerdnic.com
Mentor
Printed out the plans for this plane today. Even with the full size nnP-39 planes already printed and cut I could not resist, the look of this spit is simply too cool to queue it behind another build :)

One question concerning flight characteristics: The FT Spitfire has quite bad rudder control, which I guess is due to its small rudder compared to its big fuse. There for I would like to increase the rudder on your design, but Im not sure by how much and if it makes sense at all. My goal would be to get close to the rudder authority of the sonic nnP-39, which was really good compared to all other warbirds Ive flown. Do you think a 20% bigger rudder would be enough or should I go with the original plans because I wouldnd get god rudder control anyway?

Thanks for the awesome plans! Really looking forward to fly this plane :)

Yeah the long fuse makes the rudder not as powerful. The shorter distance between the wing and tail surfaces on the nnP-39 is why the rudder is more effectiv. Making the spit rudder bigger will help, but it still won't the best, it's just not how the design performs. I was pretty happy with how much authority is has though. Coordinated turns work well and it can hold a solid knife edge.

xMeox

Thanks for the response. I cut the rudder about one cm longer. Shouldn't change the look too much and might bring that little extra authority I want :)

martinw89

Quick update on my build - well I certainly didn't get everything done when I was on vacation but I'm still enjoying building this plane. I'm doing the poster board template method so I can build another airframe down the road if (when) I explode the first one, which took longer than I expected. I also waited for an Amazon shipment of a better knife (Olfa extra sharp) and a better cutting mat (one of the "self-healing" soft rubber ones). I don't have enough done yet for pictures but there are some three dimensional parts now. I enjoy how many clever details there are with this plane - I'm impressed by the BBQ skewer fuse spar and the hatch design.

I also just ordered these: https://www.motionrc.com/products/fms-800mm-spitfire-v2-decal-set They should be the perfect scale for this plane. If you're thinking about ordering that decal set, probably better to do it sooner rather than later. FMS has discontinued their V2 Spitfire 800 mm.

Looking forward to finishing this thing!

onemore24

This has been an awesome build! I Enjoy the extra scale look that the speed wing produces! Looking forward to flying her sometime this weekend!

image1-1.JPG image2-1.JPG

I found where the former goes. I think I may have glued the hatch part on 5mm too far forward, but I can make it work. I should have read the instructions from the start hehe.

I'm really enjoying the build, I just have my pushrods and and canopy to do.

I love the vent things on the bottom and the wing fairings look great too. I canthink wait to get it finished.

Great job on the paint job onemore24

nerdnic

nerdnic.com
Mentor
Quick update on my build - well I certainly didn't get everything done when I was on vacation but I'm still enjoying building this plane. I'm doing the poster board template method so I can build another airframe down the road if (when) I explode the first one, which took longer than I expected. I also waited for an Amazon shipment of a better knife (Olfa extra sharp) and a better cutting mat (one of the "self-healing" soft rubber ones). I don't have enough done yet for pictures but there are some three dimensional parts now. I enjoy how many clever details there are with this plane - I'm impressed by the BBQ skewer fuse spar and the hatch design.

I also just ordered these: https://www.motionrc.com/products/fms-800mm-spitfire-v2-decal-set They should be the perfect scale for this plane. If you're thinking about ordering that decal set, probably better to do it sooner rather than later. FMS has discontinued their V2 Spitfire 800 mm.

Looking forward to finishing this thing!

Welcome to the forums! Glad to hear you're enjoying the build. Those decals are pretty sweet! If you like the techniques then make sure to check out my nnP-39 and nnChipmunk v2.

nerdnic

nerdnic.com
Mentor
I found where the former goes. I think I may have glued the hatch part on 5mm too far forward, but I can make it work. I should have read the instructions from the start hehe.

I'm really enjoying the build, I just have my pushrods and and canopy to do.

I love the vent things on the bottom and the wing fairings look great too. I canthink wait to get it finished.

Great job on the paint job onemore24

I tried to add extra detail to the build notes. I knew the build video wouldn't be out for a few weeks after the plans were released. So yes, make sure you read them all the way through :)