800 Series | nnSpitfire

Theja68

Guys would you recommend this plane as a third plane. Trainer, second was a bloody wonder and next nnspitfire? Will ut run well on 250watts motor on 8060 propeller?

JasonM

Can someone please clear this up on the plans it shows 24' basswood by 3' tall. Is that 3mm tall or 3inch? Because the plans I have printed the spar is way smaller then what I have with a 3in peace

DFi

What a cool Plane. I've blown up the Plans to 135%, I had just finished cutting all peaces when I realised that Nic released plans for a 1m Spit. Damn, but never mind. Funny thing is, I build her with doubled up elevator and rudder and had the flaps cut out before I could take a look at the bigger nnSpitfire.... there were only very little differences.:cool: Nice job Nic. Pics will follow tomorrow before and after paintjob.

DFi

20170520_015831.jpg 20170520_015845.jpg 20170520_015927.jpg 20170520_020331.jpg

DFi

Yes, it's the FTWRBoard and posterboard from a local papershop. I also made a removable wing for better storage and transport.

nerdnic

nerdnic.com
Mentor

Nice build!

I hooked up my new power set up with a 4s battery.

Guess what happens when you clip the wingtip on a small branch on a 80+ mph flyby....

View attachment 84898

Noooo!! Thanks for sharing the carnage with us though, haha.

So here she is all finished.

View attachment 86956

View attachment 86957

It's looks quite similar to the one I made for myself and crashed recently, only this time the build is 100% straight and very clean.

My brother likes to fly on the edge so I hope he gets to enjoy it before he smashes it up ^^

This one came out really clean. I can tell you took your time with it. Nice work!

Finally got to maiden my full size nnSpitfire. Flew great although I did have to trim in quite a bit of up elevator. On to paint. Thanks Nic!

View attachment 85900

Looks great! How much up did you need? On the official full size I have an airfoiled hstab so I wonder if that might help.

Guys would you recommend this plane as a third plane. Trainer, second was a bloody wonder and next nnspitfire? Will ut run well on 250watts motor on 8060 propeller?

If you can fly a bloody wonder with no issues then you'll be fine with my nnSpitfire. Just one word of warning, you will see tip stalls easier with this type of advanced plane. So keep your speed up until you get comfortable with the stall characteristics.

Let us know how it goes!

Can someone please clear this up on the plans it shows 24' basswood by 3' tall. Is that 3mm tall or 3inch? Because the plans I have printed the spar is way smaller then what I have with a 3in peace

The sheet of wood I use comes in 3 inch by 24 inch sections. The spar itself is much smaller than this and you can cut many of them out of 1 3x24 sheet of wood. The spar template is in the plans so once you print them out you'll see clearly the size of the spar.

What a cool Plane. I've blown up the Plans to 135%, I had just finished cutting all peaces when I realised that Nic released plans for a 1m Spit. Damn, but never mind. Funny thing is, I build her with doubled up elevator and rudder and had the flaps cut out before I could take a look at the bigger nnSpitfire.... there were only very little differences.:cool: Nice job Nic. Pics will follow tomorrow before and after paintjob.

Your build came out so clean! Love the pink scheme!!

DFi

First flight was rather bad. She was hard to control and the flight ended in the next field. Gladly there was knee high wheats so it wasn't a complete loss. I just had to repair the powerpod and an aileron hinge. She acts like she was tailheavy. My 3800mah battery was already all the way up to the front so i will add some lead to get the cg a little more to the front. I'll keep you up to date.

DFi

To keep you up to date, problem ist detected. The right wing has a little twist in the aileron area what makes her rolling. This problem could only be solved by a new wing.
So if youre building your speedwing, always make sure that it is straight. It is trimmable but tipstalling will always be near. I'll rebuild the wing next week.

nickf

Hi,

Can you recommend a motor/prop for a 3s@2000mah that gives a good speed/thrust balance?

I was also wondering how 'bad' the tip stall tendency is, does it suddenly drop a wing or is it quite predictable? I fly in a very weedy disused patch of land so there is no smooth landing. If I come in too quick (to avoid a stall) the bigger weeds and cause some damage so I tend to fly as slow just above the stall level. I have reasonable intermediate skills (in my opinion!!!).

Thanks
nick