800 Series | nnSpitfire

nerdnic

nerdnic.com
Mentor
Thanks for the feedback. I am debating if it would be worth adding an optional undercambered wing. So don’t worry about me dropping my speedwing or anything crazy like that 😂

JakeTheSloth

I don't want you to abandon speed wing idea, it's really good and scale looking and works fine if you want to fly fast, but it requires a lot of work and skills to do. Undercambered wing will be easier to be done + easier to control. I guess that designing it won't be some big challenge for you :)

JohnG

Thank you for sharing this great design with us Nic!
For me this plane was the 3rd scratch build after a FT Alpha and an FT Spear wing, but even with that little amount of experience I found it to be relatively easy to build it following your plans, the build video for P39 and at some points the pictures shared by others builders.
I've build it using xps foam 6mm thick covered with laminating film and at the end it exceeded by far my expectations regarding looks at least and, while flying it is a bit tricky for me because I'm still a beginner, I can say that the controls feel crisp and it flies nice even at the lower speeds that I'm flying it.

Attachments

• nnSpitfire_1.jpg
    nnSpitfire_1.jpg
    469.4 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

nerdnic

nerdnic.com
Mentor
Nice footage! My original build took a pretty hard crash last year and banged up the wing joint. I bet it could still fly but I’m afraid to push it. It really is a tough little plane though!

jaredstrees

Alright, I started building one of these bad boys and have a question about power. I don't really want a speed demon. I have a rs2205 2300kv, and I know that would work. I also have a HURC 370 size 1100kv that might be a bit more tame. Does that 370 on a 9x6 seem like it would be enough?

Also, Nic, if you're still watching this thread, how did you apply the tissue paper covering? Thinned elmers white glue? WPBU?

Seems like it is coming along just fine, the NN designs always take a little more time than the FT models. Also, using gorilla glue to help with the weight, so that takes a little more time.

Thanks!

nerdnic

nerdnic.com
Mentor
Definitely use the 370 with a 9x6, it will fly great! A 2300kv motor will feel bad on this plane, your prop would be too small.

I actually used tape on my spit. Lay strips of tape on wax or parchment paper to form big 12x12 squars. Then cut triangle shapes out. Voila, custom stickers!

Chuppster

Definitely use the 370 with a 9x6, it will fly great! A 2300kv motor will feel bad on this plane, your prop would be too small.

I actually used tape on my spit. Lay strips of tape on wax or parchment paper to form big 12x12 squars. Then cut triangle shapes out. Voila, custom stickers!

I'm using an NTM 3536-2700KV with a 5x5 prop. I see speeds up to 90mph. It's a lot of fun but the airplane is SO hard to hand launch. Any tips on launching it?

jaredstrees

Got it. That's what I was leaning towards. And got you on the tape, Most of mine are tape brothers jobs as well. Thought you had said somewhere you used tissue, but this is way easier!

nerdnic

nerdnic.com
Mentor
I used tissue on my nnP-39 camo job. It didn’t hold up to the test of time like the tape method did.

For type of tape I used tape bros vinyl tape. It’s not reflective and has deep, rich color. But you can use any brand/type that you have.

jaredstrees

And she's done! Not a bad build at all. She may get a few more decorations, but if the wind dies a little this afternoon she'll get her maiden. She's got a 370 110kv swinging a 9x6 on 3s. Should move just fine!
spit3.JPG spit4.JPG spit1.JPG spit2.JPG

jaredstrees

Good question. It was just something I pulled out of the hobby drawer. Measuring it without removing the prop shows it to be about 1-7/8"

jaredstrees

Put off until today I hope. Weather was not favorable yesterday afternoon. If she can't go today it'll be at least a week as I'm taking the family on vacation. Hopefully I'll have some good news to report this evening! Thanks again for the plans, your planes always look sharp!