800mm P51-B Mustang

Dreamwalker

Less than 250 Grams!
I've always wanted to have an RC model WW2 fighter plane, but was intimidated by their flight characteristics.
(or is that "character fish sticks?":p)
When David's Spitfire came out, I finally felt confident enough to try to build and fly one. The only catch was the size. Not that David's Spit' is too big, rather it's that I want to use my smaller power systems that I have at hand.

Then Ultramicrobe posted his article on his 800mm fighters. http://www.flitetest.com/articles/800mm-swappable-warbirds-that-actually-fly
These designs are 80% and were based on his earlier ME-109 and P51-D, which are based on David's Spitfire.
(That's a lot of bases, wonder if anybody scored?:confused:)

I loved the size and I had all the components needed to build one of these planes.
To try something different, I decided to build the P51 as the "B" variant, that way I didn't have to fuss with the bubble canopy. So far, I was able to modify the ME-109 plans to suit the P51B needs, and here's what I have finished.

P51-B_1.JPG

As pictured, A.U.W.,including electronics and 1000Mah 3S, is 400 grams.

P51-B_3.JPG

I still need to build the turtle decks and canopy. I'll be using a modified version of the ME-109 canopy.

P51-B_2.JPG

I added an inch to the nose of the fuselage and used some of JB's details on the scoop for extra cooling.

I'm using a Grayson's Hobbies disposable foamy motor combo and an APC 8x4 prop. The spinner is a Dubro 2" job.
I was a bit alarmed to find that it was quite nose heavy and I added 15 grams of weight in the tail.(That spinner is heaaaaavy!)
Now I can mount the battery all the way back to the wing for neutral balance, and move it forward about an inch to go nose heavy.
I hope to finish it up soon and maiden it, then doll it up with some paint.;)

Thanks for looking.

Tom

LordVader

Really nice job. Everyone does the D version of the Mustang, glad to see the B version. Very cool, can't wait to see the finished bird.

Dreamwalker

Less than 250 Grams!
Thanks for the kind words guys. As for landing gear, I'm not using any.(Like David, where I fly there's no place to use it)
I think/hope that the scoop is sturdy enough. It's all foam board just like the FT Mustang.
I'll soon find out.;)

Tom

Dreamwalker

Less than 250 Grams!
Today was a good day!

I maidened the P51-B, now known as "Miss Calculated". (on account that there'er are a lot of mistakes and fixes)
She flew like a dream.:applause:

I had just finished up the turtle decks and canopy, so I charged up a battery for a quick test flight.

P51-B_4.JPG

A.U.W. w/ battery = 417grams

P51-B_5.JPG

The front t-deck and canopy took some fiddling to get it right.

P51-B_6.JPG

Here's a close-up of the canopy. It's a piece of acetate I had laying around.

P51-B_8.JPG

Getting the pod and wires stuffed into the fuselage is a challenge, but everything fits just fine.
The Grayson Hobbies disposable motor had more than enough power on a 3S 1000Mah battery.
The APC 8x4" prop worked wonderfully.

P51-B_7.JPG

A close-up of the scoop. It's open like the FT Mustang.

It was a bit windy at altitude, but the plane handled it well.
At full power the plane would climb a little, even though I have down and right thrust built in to the power pod.
I did have to keep some down elevator while going fast, and I noticed that my elevator needs more down adjustment.
I'm also going to remove 5 grams from the tail. Other than that, no other trim was needed.

It flies much like the FT Spitfire as you can fly slow and scale or give it the beans and tear around the sky chasing birds.
I was being observed by an eagle. It was hovering in the wind just watching.
I was waiting to get pounced.:black_eyed:
The eagle got bored and flew off much to my relief.

Now that it has flown, I can start the Minwax and paint.
More to come...

Tom

Last edited:

Dreamwalker

Less than 250 Grams!
Thanks Foam Addict. I don't have a problem with your build, in fact I say GO FOR IT!:D
(My P51 is a modified version of Ultramicrobe's 800mm P51-D.)

The only difference between the "B" and the "C" is that one was built at North American's plant in California (the B),
the other built in Dallas Texas (the C).
Good luck with your build.

Tom

Foam Addict

Squirrel member
Thanks Foam Addict. I don't have a problem with your build, in fact I say GO FOR IT!:D
(My P51 is a modified version of Ultramicrobe's 800mm P51-D.)

The only difference between the "B" and the "C" is that one was built at North American's plant in California (the B),
the other built in Dallas Texas (the C).
Good luck with your build.

Tom

Or I could put a blue wonder in it and have a perfectly scale A model...:p

Foam Addict

Squirrel member
Today was a good day!

I maidened the P51-B, now known as "Miss Calculated". (on account that there'er are a lot of mistakes and fixes)
She flew like a dream.:applause:

I had just finished up the turtle decks and canopy, so I charged up a battery for a quick test flight.

View attachment 23862

A.U.W. w/ battery = 417grams

View attachment 23863

The front t-deck and canopy took some fiddling to get it right.

View attachment 23864

Here's a close-up of the canopy. It's a piece of acetate I had laying around.

View attachment 23865

Getting the pod and wires stuffed into the fuselage is a challenge, but everything fits just fine.
The Grayson Hobbies disposable motor had more than enough power on a 3S 1000Mah battery.
The APC 8x4" prop worked wonderfully.

View attachment 23866

A close-up of the scoop. It's open like the FT Mustang.

It was a bit windy at altitude, but the plane handled it well.
At full power the plane would climb a little, even though I have down and right thrust built in to the power pod.
I did have to keep some down elevator while going fast, and I noticed that my elevator needs more down adjustment.
I'm also going to remove 5 grams from the tail. Other than that, no other trim was needed.

It flies much like the FT Spitfire as you can fly slow and scale or give it the beans and tear around the sky chasing birds.
I was being observed by an eagle. It was hovering in the wind just watching.
I was waiting to get pounced.:black_eyed:
The eagle got bored and flew off much to my relief.

Now that it has flown, I can start the Minwax and paint.
More to come...

Tom

Hey, it's me again.:black_eyed: How did you make your canopy? Mine looks awful compared to yours.

Dreamwalker

Less than 250 Grams!
Here it is....(Drum roll)
I present "Miss Calculated"

P51-B_9.jpg

All ready to fight the Hun, somewhere in France, early 1944.

P51-B_11.JPG

Decals are colour lazer prints that I cut out and glued on w/ 'Aleene's original tacky glue'.

P51-B_12.JPG

For foam addict, another close-up of the canopy. The framing is copy paper stipps glued onto the canopy and painted to match.
I'll try to post the pattern I used for the canopy ASAP.:)
The pilot is a jpg I found on google, printed out and glued to poster board.
The head rest/seat is scrap foam board.

P51-B_13.JPG

Dramatic lighting w/ the flash.

Enjoy!:D

Tom

Dreamwalker

Less than 250 Grams!
Thanks guys.

Unfortunately my old nemesis, gravity, shot me down today while trying to land. It seems that this plane flies just like the real thing.
Yep, you guessed it, Tip Stall.... spun in from about 25 ft on final approach.:black_eyed:

Crash_1.JPG

The nose after pulling out some wrinkles. Doesn't look too bad from out here...

Crash_2.JPG

More damage inside. The motor mount tore away and there's damage to the fuselage box where it's attached.
It will be tricky to fix, but it's do-able.

Crash_3.JPG

What took the brunt of the impact was the pod. Simple to replace, but I'm afraid the motor is toast.:(
The front bearing is either broken or dislodged so it won't turn without the bell grinding on the magnets.
I won't know until after I get it apart, I may be able to replace the bearings. Fingers crossed.:rolleyes:

Bf109-E_1.JPG

"...now you need to find the enemy and shoot him down" - Ron B

It's coming soon, very soon...;)

Tom

oatman

That is an amazing model. The detail is fantastic!

Great crash! You saved the airframe! I went through three pods and mounts with my spit before it finally bit it. The airframe is repairable, but I'd rather just build something new at this point. I had her flying a 9x8 prop and going stupid fast when I lost signal and just watch it helplessly fly off into a brick wall. So it goes. That's what I get for not doing a thorough range test and I don't care what anyone says, that orange Rx has been sketchy for me... anyways I digress.

I can't decide between ultramicrobes 800mm BF-109 or just try and scale down the new FT-Mustang to 800mm myself. I like some of the new features and can't wait for ultramicrobes 'version' assuming he finds it warranted...

anyways, nice work!

Scottie

nice build :)
I like the detailing and the fact it's a 'B' model (same as mine)
Hope you can get her fixed and flying again .
cheers
Scottie