800mm P51-B Mustang

nerdnic

nerdnic.com
Mentor
That is an amazing model. The detail is fantastic!

Great crash! You saved the airframe! I went through three pods and mounts with my spit before it finally bit it. The airframe is repairable, but I'd rather just build something new at this point. I had her flying a 9x8 prop and going stupid fast when I lost signal and just watch it helplessly fly off into a brick wall. So it goes. That's what I get for not doing a thorough range test and I don't care what anyone says, that orange Rx has been sketchy for me... anyways I digress.

I can't decide between ultramicrobes 800mm BF-109 or just try and scale down the new FT-Mustang to 800mm myself. I like some of the new features and can't wait for ultramicrobes 'version' assuming he finds it warranted...

anyways, nice work!

I scaled the FT Mustang down to 800mm, plans and review are in my signature!

ultramicrobe

Nice job, and I like the modifications. It looks like you are making an 800 Bf109 too, and if so I would be curious to hear how you like it. I think it is better than the mustang, but I have never tested them with the same motor. I also think someone said they would try it with a Blue Wonder. I actually started flying my 800 109 with a similar motor and burned it out. Maybe it was a bad one, but I really like the SK3 2826 motor with this size plane. They have unlimited power but can also fly nice and slow. I would have a look at the video on the 800 mm Mustang and Messerschmitt Article so you can see what I mean. I tried a few motor/prop combinations, and really like this one.

Dreamwalker

Less than 250 Grams!
Thanks a lot ultramicrobe. You're projects have been an inspiration for me.:applause:

Yes, i am building the Bf-109 and had started them both at the same time.
I'm using the "disposable foamy-sport" motor from Grayson Hobby.
I think it's close to a "Park 370" motor. It's 1400 Kv, 100 Watts@12 amps max for models of 200 - 500 grams A.U.W.
I really like the performance of this motor w/ the APC 8x4 prop and it cruises around easily at half throttle.
The motor and ESC get barely warm to the touch.
It goes vertical and flies at a scale speed and that's good enough for me right now.;)

I chose to use this motor and a 1000 Mah battery to keep the overall weight down.
I get nearly the same flight time as my FT Flier, about 8 - 10 min. (the Flier A.U.W. is 390-430 grams)

The replacement motor bearings have shipped and I hope to get her back in the air this weekend.

Thanks again everyone for the kind words of encouragement.

Tom

Dreamwalker

Less than 250 Grams!
Hey marc60, yea crashing sucks, but it's a learning experience.

I got the motor back together now and it runs like new.
I did find more damage though. The ESC has a small dent in the capacitor, impact with a motor screw, but it works fine so I'll use it until it quits.
Going to re-maiden tomorrow after work.

Tom