8ft Zagi Sloper - DIY / Hot cutting / Fiberglass - MAIDENED!

thenated0g

Drinker of coffee, Maker of things
Mentor
Hardware installed on one side. Servo glued down with just a little hot glue around the top before pushing down in. Will cover servo with something. probably just a square of matching vinyl.

IMG_20190618_063103.jpg IMG_20190618_062849_1.jpg IMG_20190618_063110.jpg IMG_20190618_063118.jpg

thenated0g

Mentor
Least amount of slop of any plane i have done. I guess thats what you get for using after market linkage stuff.

thenated0g

Mentor
Hot glued in the RX. After sliding the wings together it became pretty apparent that i need a little more space, maybe a hole on the other side for all the wires.
IMG_20190618_215524.jpg

I measured the entire wing again as some things always change once you start cutting.
IMG_20190618_214922.jpg

I input those measurements back into the wing CG calculator and taped a rod at that location.
IMG_20190619_061801.jpg IMG_20190619_061755.jpg IMG_20190619_062140.jpg

I than taped a container in the nose area and started adding lead until it was close to balance. I will probably add a little less and leave some space in the same area of the nose to put temp weights so i can add/remove in the field to get final cg.
IMG_20190619_063313.jpg IMG_20190619_063414.jpg

I weighed the plane and its sitting around 3.2kg. Adding in the above 350g puts me right where i was aiming which was 3.5kg (close enough).
IMG_20190619_062426.jpg

Here i have a comparison between my big f-100 sloper on the right vs this zagi on the left. Knowing that i flew the f-100 in 18-21mph winds gives me an idea of how this wing will fly and what types of winds. The zagi has half the wingloading and the cubic loading, which tells you "how" the plane will fly is dramatically lower. Should be a good floater.

1560960419568.png
1560960460066.png

FoamyDM

Building Fool-Flying Noob
That looks like it turned out amazing. Thank you for letting us into your workshop with you as you build it.

After your maiden flight, let us know what you liked and will do next build, what didn't work and you'll stop, and what things you should start doing next time.

thenated0g

Mentor
That looks like it turned out amazing. Thank you for letting us into your workshop with you as you build it.

After your maiden flight, let us know what you liked and will do next build, what didn't work and you'll stop, and what things you should start doing next time.

The reason i did the vacuum bag laminated wingtips is that my next build will involve vacuum bagging foam wings with fiberglass. This was an easy "lets get the problems out of the way" part that didnt really matter how it looked. Vacuum bagging fiberglass wings has been a goal i have been working on/wanting to do for years and i finally feel like its a good time to jump in. Ill probably do a couple small sections as a test and than do an easy straight winged plane first before going "crazy" on hard multipanel wing.

Right now the plan is to do a modified version of the old Ridge Rat slope soarer but with a different airfoil and a wing that is not as deep.
Its a pretty basic shape as far as planes so i can just focus on the process's and steps.
1560979478597.png

PS that FB alula is awesome. If my dreamflight one dies i would totally make one of those.

thenated0g

Mentor
Also as far as the nice comments on the build @FoamyDM , i started about 5 years ago with flitetest plans and planes and have just been building non stop since than. Just keep building, find the stuff you like working on and just build.

FoamyDM

Building Fool-Flying Noob
PS that FB alula is awesome. If my dreamflight one dies i would totally make one of those.
That's a great compliment, I thank you. Now if I can just get it to fly right. (It's coming.) I want to get it be tip launched. When I can get success, I will put together a build page.

Also as far as the nice comments on the build @FoamyDM , i started about 5 years ago with flitetest plans and planes and have just been building non stop since than. Just keep building, find the stuff you like working on and just build.
I've been chugging for about three. 2 Avidly building... this medium is just fun. I have to have better cycling system. What do you do? If you are like me and build like a fool. How many do you keep, what is you litmus test for plane retainage.

My thoughts on cycling rule. Build, maiden, fly... after 4 build up (per motor setup:p). then I have to chose one to be rid of before I build another.) if I love it, and flying it... then put it in the ready to go - keep rack.

thenated0g

Mentor
I am a builder, that sometimes flies. I am also blessed for the past 2 years to live in a house that has its own large shop. IE i have lots of room to store planes. Usually my process for getting rid of a plane is a combination of how long has it been since i flew it, how much does it mean to me personally (my design?, was it a great experience, did i spend a bunch of money on decals or time on finishing), How good does it look as a static model just hanging on my wall (decor?). Usually i hit a level where i have filled up all the nooks and crannies and than i will go thru all my stuff at one time and clear shop. We do the same thing with our garage once a year. Take everything down, look thru it all. How long has it been since we used this stuff, do we need to store it? Make dump run. Or in this case, rip the electronics out. Take the spars out that you can, throw the rest away, maybe take some pictures before destroying them.

My 120" guinea pig was awesome, but it was right at the beginning of my branching off into my own stuff. So it was overbuilt, heavy, was a pain in the butt to transport and to store. There were a lot of things that, looking back on it 2 years later, 2 years of getting better at building, that i finally just got tired of it and took all the parts out and tossed it.

I think some people are collectors and some people are builders, just like some people collect art and some people are artists. I really dont have any interest in collecting planes. Im always thinking about the next thing im building. I have a couple planes i love love love to fly at the slope dont get me wrong, but i think the idea of having room to build the next plane is way more interesting than holding onto a plane i havent flown in a year.

I really like the idea i have seen in a few places. of cutting just the tail feather section off and mounting it to a piece of wood like a hunting trophy. Have a wall of old planes/memories.

thenated0g

Mentor
One thing i noticed yesterday was some play in the control arm section on the elevons. I think these were made to mount to something solid, like balsa that you could crank down on to get a solid connection. But mine are mostly hollow foam that doesnt have a lot of strength. I took them apart this morning, squirted some gorilla glue into the hole and than i put outdoor double sided tape on both of the red washer caps to let it pull on the vinyl skin. Really tightened up the controls.

IMG_20190526_171756.jpg

Next i drilled a hole (sorry forgot to take a pic) in the nose and removed some foam, poured in the lead to make sure the hole was large enough.
When i have time i will mix up some of my thin laminating epoxy, dump the bb's back in, than pour in the epoxy. The thin epoxy will go thru all the bb's and should lock it in place in the tip of the nose. Than i will mix up some thick epoxy and filler to fill in the rest of the hole i made and sink in one of the magnets so it sits flush with the wing. Than repeat on the other side making sure the magnets connect and are flush.

The delicate part of this process is the weight of everything. I know i need 175g in each side to hit cg, but i want a little bit less. This way i can still move cg forward and back later and not have to add weight in the tail. About 10g of that is a magnet. The thin epoxy im adding is going to have weight and the filler as well.

thenated0g

Mentor
Added 125g of BB and 20g of thin epoxy to the nose's.
IMG_20190620_180428.jpg IMG_20190621_062518.jpg IMG_20190621_062505.jpg

Mixed up some thick epoxy, filler, and set in one sides magnet.
IMG_20190621_184737.jpg IMG_20190621_184740.jpg IMG_20190621_184910.jpg IMG_20190621_184746.jpg IMG_20190621_185004.jpg

Than the fun part, making a rig to hold the wing vertical.
Mixed up some more thick filler and put in the other magnet.
IMG_20190622_071257.jpg IMG_20190622_071030.jpg IMG_20190622_071023.jpg IMG_20190622_070843.jpg IMG_20190622_072043.jpg

Final weight (before graphics and art) is just about 3.6kg or 7.93 lbs

I decided to do some art on one side of the wing, so first i did a test piece with oil paint pens to get a feel for them as i have never used them before. Than i used a chalk pencil to get a rough idea and than sharpied the lines. Started coloring it in, will probably take a few days to fill it all, its 4ft. Than will go back over all the black lines again.
IMG_20190622_214310.jpg IMG_20190623_182048.jpg IMG_20190623_202346.jpg

thenated0g

Mentor
I finished coloring the wing and than went back over all the black lines again. Couple coats of clear coat on top.
IMG_20190624_185207.jpg

Cut out a square of vinyl and covered the servo. Blends in pretty well.
IMG_20190625_075310.jpg

I was kind of unhappy with how visible the seam was between wing cores and how the graphics just ended in the middle so i added a black strip on each side. This will make a definite end to the graphics and make the inner seam less noticeable.
IMG_20190625_075254.jpg IMG_20190625_075300.jpg

Now just placing vinyl graphics and various stickers on it trying to figure out what to do with the rest of the wing and bottom.
IMG_20190624_192757.jpg

bracesport

Legendary member
golden gate? I see you live north of San Fran (nice area) - I did some biking around San Fran and San Jose on my last visit to the USA!

CapnBry

Elite member
This build is finishing strong! I don't have anything to contribute but your attention to detail is astounding and that wing is a real work of art.