8ft Zagi Sloper - DIY / Hot cutting / Fiberglass - MAIDENED!

thenated0g

Drinker of coffee, Maker of things
Mentor
Yeah it should fit in the jeep just fine. It splits in half, so its like 4ftx24 inches or so.

Tick point is an amazing high lift spot. I have only flown at 2 good spots though, the other being sunset state beach down below santa cruz. But Wayne, the owner of aloft hobbies (alofthobbies.com) has been doing it for years and basically said don't waste your time going anywhere else, just go to tick unless the wind isn't good.

The other "local" spots i want to hit are Goat rock over by bodega and Mussel rock or fort funstan, which is over in San Francisco kind of near by the zoo, that stretch of the coast.

Fallegon

well Im at rohnert park and my plan was to hit up the dunes in lawsons landing. Id be willing to drive down though to check it out.

thenated0g

Mentor
If you havent been to tick, it will be worth it aaaaand ruin all other sites ha! If i go it will be Monday July 1st and ill plan on being out there a little after lunchtime. Ill post if im going. Hows Dillon beach area for sloping?

Fallegon

yeah im not sure.. From look though its plenty windy however the dunes are very small and irregular. Also theres no way Ill b ready by monday.. I just finished the wing mount so next time Im home itl be puttin them together.
20190616_134508.jpg

I know this is a tad off topic.

Tronglodon

If you havent been to tick, it will be worth it aaaaand ruin all other sites ha! If i go it will be Monday July 1st and ill plan on being out there a little after lunchtime. Ill post if im going. Hows Dillon beach area for sloping?
I've got friends and family in the bay area, I get up there two or three times a year. I'll have to pack the Alula next time I go up for a visit.

thenated0g

Mentor
Went out to Tick Point, Mill Valley, California yesterday and met up with 2 other BAMF members for some flying. Winds were about 16mph when i got there at 11 and was about 25mph when i left at 4. Maidened the Zagi in about 19-20 and got a second flight in at the 25mph.

First toss i had way too much throw on the elevator, not enough expo, and not enough reflex. So immediately on toss it dipped down so i pulled back which brought the nose up too high, the wind grabbed 1,900 square inches of wing and threw it behind us. Only damage was one of the wingtips popped off the tape and i got a walk thru some brush. Few minutes later we got it out and trimmed it up. Flies amazingly well. It turns in the wind like it has long tail out the back, its really strange but cool. You can definately feel that you are flying a heavy thing in the air but it will do flips on itself like nothing i have seen with all that elevon. Will take me a few days to get full maiden video rendered out but heres a quick clip i did last night for Instagram. Also, landing anything at tick is hard, let alone a 3.6kg beast in 20+mph winds. But it survived, you can hardly even tell it took any hits, just a few scraps in the vinyl. Pretty strong wing.

IMG_20190701_133337.jpg

IMG_20190630_203248.jpg IMG_20190701_113057.jpg IMG_20190701_113923.jpg IMG_20190701_114644.jpg IMG_20190701_121929.jpg IMG_20190701_121936.jpg IMG_20190701_144422.jpg IMG_20190701_144431.jpg

thenated0g

Mentor

bracesport

Legendary member
the scenery reminds me of New Zealand! @thenated0g - I was impressed with your graceful turns (studied the video a couple of times) and I hope it will help when I try to slope!

thenated0g

Mentor
Thanks, each plane is different and as you add ballast it will change as well. Also as the wind is rarely perpendicular to the slope you will find that one direction works really well and it other one not so much. Some planes, like the Flitetest corsair which is not a very good slope plane (clark Y airfoil is not a good slope airfoil), they will just slow way down in turn. They have no energy retention at all, it all gets dumped as soon as they turn. Good slope planes dont lose much energy in turns and they seem to just keep going fast and even pickup speeds in turns.

thenated0g

Mentor
I flew the corsair, plank 1.0, plank 2.0, fsst, and the Zagi so i will slowly get all those videos edited and posted on my youtube channel and will link to my build logs in the forums as well

thenated0g

Mentor
Too fat, not right shape. Mh32 is a good got to for planes with tails and pw51 is the go to airfoil for planks (wings/deltas). I maidened this guy (plank 1.0) and it has the pw1211.
Capture.JPG