$ 90 Harbor freight P-51.

tadiasa

Would a 2206 2300kv motor work to power this guy, or do I need something beefier? Maybe with a 3:1 step down and a 8x6 prop? How many amps you think that set up would draw? Would a 20A ESC be enough or should I go with a 30A? XT60 or XT30? I know, so many questions, but I NEED to know 😊

Froggystyle

Revive

Hello all I just received my hf p-51 for Father's day. I'd like to do some work to mine. Like a carbon spar. And maybe a longer flight battery. Any help would be a so awesome thanks.

JimCR120

Got Lobstah?
Site Moderator
Froggystyle,
Hello and welcome to the forum. My first aircraft was a birthday present from my youngest son. Were you already into the hobby before the gift? Are the kids into flying?

Regarding your ideas. Some photos might help get our minds thinking. What type of battery do you use now? Are you already flying this successfully? Carbon spars come in different sizes and shapes as do batteries. My first recommendation is to fly what you got and have an idea what your starting point is before making changes so that you'll know what was an improvement.

What do you have currently for a battery? What is your wingspan and do the wings come apart? Again, a photo could really help too.

Looking forward to seeing you in the air.
—Jim

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
Hello all I just received my hf p-51 for Father's day. I'd like to do some work to mine. Like a carbon spar. And maybe a longer flight battery. Any help would be a so awesome thanks.

Just something to remember!

Larger batteries do give longer flight times but that is not all!
They also give higher landing and take off speeds, Faster landings, Bigger holes in the ground, and more expensive repairs!

Fly original and play with extra weight and larger batteries when you are more used to how it flies and lands!

Have fun!

Froggystyle

JimCR120,
The Mustang is a stock gws plane sold at horror freight. Yes I did get it to fly for a few minutes. No I'm am not new to the hobby. Been doing the surface and multi rotor stuff for years now. I added the
PHP:
[PHP]
[/PHP]carbon spar (25x.08 solid) as well as "extreme tape". It Flys like garbage as it is a fly by prop not a fly by wing imho.

I am getting one more this coming Friday. As well as getting some things from my lhs.

Thanks again.

JimCR120

Got Lobstah?
Site Moderator
Too bad it's not flying up to par, not yet at least. Maybe you can tweak some things to make it perform better.

I've incorporated CF into some planes fairly easily. I like the thin strips (maybe 1mm) that come in maybe 2' lengths. By cutting a slit wherever I want to stiffen, I can slide the strip in with some glue. I've done this with wings and also one fuselage (my UMX Radian) to take out some flex that I didn't like.

You probably know the +/- about LiPo's. More mAH = more flight time but with less efficiency because of the increased weight plus the other hazards the Hai-Lee pointed out. With your experience I'm not sure what type of advice you were seeking.

If you're new to fixed wing, you might want a flight buddy to coach you, especially with a warbird style frame. Flying over a field with long grass/weeds can make the inevitable crashes more like hitting a barricade softening the impact.

Hope it goes well. Keep us posted.

Froggystyle

JinCR120
Yes I do plan on a battery but I'm sticking to the nimh for and stock setups. And yes flying plane's is a who new animal. I'm currently waiting on Friday to pick up a few props as well as some odd and ends. Maybe a Pico. I just love this airframe as well as the p4u corsair. I want to build one just to hang lol. Tried to add pictures but can't from phone.

jamboree1

Froggy, i have a few of these, really simple to make them fly well. first off, reverse the landing gear, although it looks silly, having the gear protrude in front of the wing really helps on take off and especially landings. I also changed to larger wheels at 1 1/2" diameter. The stock motor and battery is fine but i use a larger 9x5 prop that comes from a hobby zone sport cub, nearly unbreakable and motor and esc don't over heat. On that note, the stock props are pure garbage. lastly but very important is the C.O.G is 1 1/4" from leading edge. even with the factory battery pushed as far as it will go I still had to ad an ounce of nose weight to balance. Last thing, cycle the battery a few times before first flight, it really makes a difference.

Mac82

Foam scraps? I got plenty
I had that one once the gear it comes with is junk but it makes for a great brushless conversion