$ 90 Harbor freight P-51.

Foam Addict

Squirrel member
She's a little worse for the nose in, but still looks great to me. The spinner really makes it though. It looks so awesome!

image.jpg

Paws approves.
image.jpg

CavalierX

Picked it up today- easy to put together. Did a few structural upgrades with a little tape here and there- one solid piece wing tip to tip. I wanted to mod the decals a bit so I did a little cutting and flipped things up a little bit. Then I printed off a few add-ons and stuck those on.

20140331_204805.jpg

20140331_210706.jpg

20140331_210726_4.jpg

Foam Addict

Squirrel member
Looks great!:applause:

A few things I learned the hard way: Don't use the stock prop, An 8x6 works much better. (Stock is an 8x3!)
If you have a 2 cell 1000 ish, use it for the maiden. The stock battery makes hand launching a little squirrelly at first.

Here is the RCGroups thread: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=923688

Pages 1-3 have all the info you will need.

Most of all though, have fun!:D

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
I almost grabbed one when I was in HF on Friday...just couldn't do it for some reason...

Foam Addict

Squirrel member
Do it do it!:p
No, it's a great plane, not very scale, but with a 9 oz/sqft wing loading it can do almost anything.

augernaught

Augernaught
True, that's a better deal. I just got a really awesome sale on mine.
How does that mustang fly?

Like a wing with a rocket on it's azz,
or so slow you can almost reach out and grab it by the wingtip to land. Your choice.

I would recommend the F6F first, I'ts fast, mean, and you have total control.
(it's my comfort plane/ for a war bird LOL!?)

Then the F4U. That one likes to float around and make long use of the same 3s 2100 20c battery they all take.
Flies like a kite. She's a half throttle bird or you go into orbit with her quick.

But the P-51? That one can go slow, but sure likes to go fast more than anything else. You can't help yourself!
I'm putting Nerf football whistles in the wings to simulate turbo charge sounds for fast passes.
But it will drop level for greased landings if you put bigger wheels on her.

ALL of these birds need the LG bent forward of the LE, or they will nose over in even short grass.

My first ever solo flight/with the F6F is a perfect example, and before I learned about gear the MOD.
It will nose down on takeoff too..........:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=19GMCqhT8s0

Not perfect, either way, but it WAS my first flight after all?

augernaught

Augernaught
Didn't know harbor freight made planes.. :/

HF don't make anything. They import Chinese CRAP that guys like us have to figure
out if its worth our money, and can do what we need it to do.

Some of the stuff is a gem! Some of it is garbage? Buyer be ware!

But if you're going to buy a hi-dollar item (over 200 bux)
ask around on the net to see if people found it worthy first!

Last edited:

Foam Addict

Squirrel member
The mustang is actually made by GWS believe it or not! I did some digging and GWS owns the company that makes these planes.

Foam Addict

Squirrel member
Reviving an old thread, (probably to die once more:p)I picked up another one of these mustangs for 50$ over spring break. I also got found an old 10x8x4 prop and 6.6:1 gearbox in the lhs. I was pleased to find that the scale prop size for this mustang is approximately 9.7" so a 10" prop works out nicely.

IMG_3358.jpg IMG_3373.jpg

Foam Addict

Squirrel member
Hey thanks, it was fun while I was home.

When I get back I need to rewind a motor to a low enough kv to spin a 10x8x4 prop, maybe 500 kv? That'll be fun.:p

redskinman

does anyone know where you can get replacement parts for the HF P-51? I was under the impression Harbor freight sold them but they dont,they only carry 2 parts for the whole plane.The little switch that hooks to the wires that control the aiLErON on mine broke,so you have to replace the whole main wing.HF does not sell it.

jamboree1

Redskinman, welcome to Flite Test . I'm quite familiar with the HF Mustang. Quite a few of the electronic parts can be replaced with generic parts from hobby supply stores. include a pic of the broken part and we will see if we can identify what will work for you.

redskinman

Redskinman, welcome to Flite Test . I'm quite familiar with the HF Mustang. Quite a few of the electronic parts can be replaced with generic parts from hobby supply stores. include a pic of the broken part and we will see if we can identify what will work for you.

Thank you for responding,sorry it took so long to respond back,I thought i would get an email notification when someone responded but I didnt.{maybe it went to spam?}
I searched and searched for some hobby shops that sold the HF plane under a different name with no luck.I found 3 sellers on Amazon that did but only one responded and they were able to provide me with what I needed.I had to order a new main wing even though it was just a small plastic piece on the main wing that broke.It was a swivel that attached to wires to control the ailerons,I would doubt someone would sell just that part but you never know.
Have not tried to get it up in the air again yet.
thanks

Attachments

• IMG_7394.JPG
    IMG_7394.JPG
    56.8 KB · Views: 0