900mhz Range is short!?

Using this combo:http://hobbywireless.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=117_7&products_id=17

its 900mhz 500mW.
Im using an IBCrazy Vee antenna on my transmitter and a 5dBi whip on my rx.

I only get about 100 meters before it is impossible to see what is going on. which is way under what it should be even with stock antennas. Please note im using an Axial Wraith not an aircraft. Even in open straight LOS it only goes 100 meters. Could this be multipathing off of the ground? Gets worse near buildings and the shrubbery in the parks field. Please help answer this for me. I want to make sure i didnt just waste my money.
Oh one more thing. The vee antenna came with blue wire insulator still on the outside. do i remove this? and with no white element which end faces upward?

-Thanks, Caleb

lobstermash

Propaganda machine
Mentor
With this system, you should have no video issues within a couple of km. The range you're getting sounds like what you'd expect without an antenna attached.

With this system, you should have no video issues within a couple of km. The range you're getting sounds like what you'd expect without an antenna attached.

What I was thinking. Its never been plugged in without an antenna. I have the connector tightened all the way down. Maybe my transmitter has a bad amplifier? Ive tried both parks and by my house so isnt the environment. All three are clean of cell towers too.

Nonamerc

Arman
Mobile phones use 900MHz aswell (also 1800MHz) so cellphones will cause bad signal. Can you give us a link to where you live?

IF there is anyway to test the transmitter let me know. Ive tried multiple antennas (5dbi rx, Vee tx, modified and unmodified stockers) so thats ruled out

Carbon

Elemental Madness
First step would be to get a directional antenna on the RX. This should help you with any multipathing.

Carbon

Elemental Madness
well multipathing combined with interference or an equipment issue might. Right now you have to start eliminating variables.

lobstermash

Propaganda machine
Mentor
I reckon it's an equipment issue rather than environmental. I found with 900Mhz that multipathing wasn't much of an issue until I got to around 1km around lots of giant rocks etc.

I've seen people use very low power, like 5mW, and still get over 1km on 900Mhz, so it definitely doesn't sound like the amplifier. I'd be betting on a bad solder on the vrx which has somewhere that affects the connection with the antenna. Or even there may be an issue with the antenna itself... Have you tried using a different antenna on the vrx?

Uh oh... warranty is only covered if you do not modify anything on the equipment. I soldered in my gopro cable (ive checked the connections none are broke) and modified the stock antennas to the proper length (1/4 wavelength of 910mhz). Ill ask em if they can make a case since i tested it when it came out of the box, worked fine and i didnt notice the range issue until i got further out

lobstermash

Propaganda machine
Mentor
If the vtx (the bit on the plane) was stuffed, you wouldn't get any picture at all. Not even 1m, let alone 100m.

lobstermash

Propaganda machine
Mentor
I guess I probably wouldn't trust either... I'd try your luck with CS anyway, in spite of your minor modifications. If you have no luck there, try finding someone with a compatible 900Mhz system (this is a very common system) and mix and match rx/tx combinations until you can figure out if the issue is with the tx or rx.

I guess I probably wouldn't trust either... I'd try your luck with CS anyway, in spite of your minor modifications. If you have no luck there, try finding someone with a compatible 900Mhz system (this is a very common system) and mix and match rx/tx combinations until you can figure out if the issue is with the tx or rx.
guess we will see. this is crap that it doesnt work. i know it was a cheap system but 100 bucks is still 100 bucks

lobstermash

Propaganda machine
Mentor
I got the $60 900Mhz 200mW system with 520TVL camera from Hobbyking (video rx is exactly the same) that worked great straight out of the box... I'm sure there's plenty of profit in the extra $ you paid for some customer service.