A-10 Rebuild

earthsciteach

I'm piecing an A-10 back together after its owner had an altercation with asphalt. Its been a fun exercise. I even unexpectedly got a 70mm EDF unit with motor, ESC and 2200 mah, 14.1 V battery out of it! She's almost ready to take to the skies again.

Wish she was mine, but I do get to fly her upon reconstruction. Its a beautiful model! The foam is really sturdy and the paint quality is very impressive. She was purchased from 'naner hobby. The only drawback I see is that the ESC's are mounted within the edf discharge pod. Can't be good for thrust.

Attachments

• crash.JPG
    crash.JPG
    699.7 KB · Views: 39
  • ESC placement.JPG
    ESC placement.JPG
    545.6 KB · Views: 44
  • rebuild.JPG
    rebuild.JPG
    488 KB · Views: 39

Burg

Never catch a multirotor
NICE ! Looking forward to the re-maiden ! Esc's can easily be placed in the center piece I notice. i asume this part was actually designed for it (?)

earthsciteach

The center area does look tempting for the esc's, but the top portion fits flush into the recess. There is plenty of room for the esc's in the fuselage, but I've heard tales of this plane literally going down in flames. I'm not going to take a chance with another person's plane. If it were mine, I probably would move them and try to add ventilation to the fuselage.

themajik1

Monkey/Bear Poker
Mentor
Teach, from my understanding, the placement of the ESC's are for heat management. I have the twin 64mm EDF version of this plane and from my understanding the ESC's need the air movement as to not overheat.
In the instructions I received with my plane from BH, it specifically states that you should not run the motors very long unless flying as the ESC's and motors need the fresh airflow.
Not sure how true it is, but if that is what they say, I tend to agree. It may be they are using sub-par ESC's?

earthsciteach

Definitely for cooling airflow. According to the website, they are 30 amp esc's driving a 4300 kv motor and 70 mm fan using an 11.1 v battery. Seems sketchy!

Its going to be hard to turn the plane back over to its owner. I REALLY like it!

colorex

Rotor Riot!
Mentor
it specifically states that you should not run the motors very long unless flying as the ESC's and motors need the fresh airflow.

That is true for me and my Bixler. I'm running a 25amp, but while running it on the ground, it heats up.

lobstermash

Propaganda machine
Mentor
Yeah, I'm yet to figure out if the same principal applies to EDFs as it does with props, in that static amp drap can be considerably higher (25-30%) than flying amps. I need some telemetry to test it out methinks...