A Baron but not as we know him...

CarolineTyler

Legendary member
Captive nut arrived, now the wing fitting is built. I have a nice chunky M4 aluminium thumbscrew on order, currently on a slow boat :), to replace the standard bolt and washer.
IMG_20200506_175335496.jpg IMG_20200506_175340915.jpg IMG_20200506_175258631.jpg IMG_20200506_175303969.jpg

TooJung2Die

Master member
Oracover turned up today, will attempt to cover this wing tonight - want to maiden this plane by Saturday at the latest!
Good to hear! Everyone I'm hearing from in the UK says they are not allowed to fly anywhere. May I ask how you are going to maiden the airplane?

TooJung2Die

Master member
Good for you and your flying mates. I was just reading from a guy complaining he has 7 new airplane builds to maiden since the lock-down began. Our club is on private property also, we haven't had any trouble. Good luck with the maiden!

CarolineTyler

Legendary member
Not perfect but way better than my first attempt. The leading corners were particularly difficult. Think it will be good enough to fly.
IMG_20200511_194822765.jpg IMG_20200511_194806506.jpg IMG_20200511_194756790.jpg IMG_20200511_194800130.jpg
Need some 5 minute epoxy to attach the top decking, super glue is just a bit too fast. Could I buy any at the supermarket? Nope! So ordered some from Amazon for delivery on Wednesday.

TooJung2Die

Master member
That's your first attempt at covering? That's darn good. Since that awful tape job covering they did in the video flew great your Balsa Baron will be awesome.

Hint: When heat shrinking wingtips leave a generous amount of film hanging over the edge. Pull on the extra film while heating the film to shrink it. Do a small section at a time and pull out the wrinkles that don't shrink out. Hold tension on the film until the film cools. Move on to the next section. After you have it all smooth then trim the excess and seal the edge with the iron.

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
That's your first attempt at covering? That's darn good. Since that awful tape job covering they did in the video flew great your Balsa Baron will be awesome.

Hint: When heat shrinking wingtips leave a generous amount of film hanging over the edge. Pull on the extra film while heating the film to shrink it. Do a small section at a time and pull out the wrinkles that don't shrink out. Hold tension on the film until the film cools. Move on to the next section. After you have it all smooth then trim the excess and seal the edge with the iron.
Quality tip bro, thanks

TooJung2Die

Master member
A picture is worth ... a lot more than my explanation. Here are a couple of wingtips in the process of getting covered using the shrink and stretch method. The clear stuff is document laminating film. It doesn't shrink nearly as much as normal film. No way I could cover that wing tip without crow's feet wrinkles unless the film was heated and stretched.
IMG_0457resized.jpg IMG_1817.jpg

CarolineTyler

Legendary member
I flew it today....just managed not to crash it. My elevator and rudder throws were WAY too high. I've adjusted the servo arms to reduce it by about 40% and added more expo. The model was so tail heavy, I've cut off all the bottom sheeting from the CofG back and still had to add 60gms of extra nose weight.
Since it did fly and land without becoming matchwood I've now added some stripes for orientation.
15894747292351449476063234708624.jpg
I'll video the next flight.

TooJung2Die

Master member
Congratulations on the maiden and for bringing it home in one piece. None of the combat style foamie airplanes I ever flew lasted more than a few flights. I get a little bold, lose orientation and plow them into the earth. You're brave to build and fly a Balsa Baron!

CarolineTyler

Legendary member
Sadly the Balsa Baron destroyed itself on launch today. The wing is snapped and splintered. I will not be repairing it. I enjoyed the build process but I was not confident in the resulting plane. I do think this wing is not strong enough and if you decide to build please take advantage of the option of adding a carbon spar.

SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor
Sadly the Balsa Baron destroyed itself on launch today. The wing is snapped and splintered. I will not be repairing it. I enjoyed the build process but I was not confident in the resulting plane. I do think this wing is not strong enough and if you decide to build please take advantage of the option of adding a carbon spar.
That's a bummer. :(