A Baron but not as we know him...

CarolineTyler

Legendary member
Just arrived at my door, a Balsa Baron care of the Vintage Model Company.
This should be fun as I've already decided it will not be built as per plans...
@JamesWhom - Thanks, terrific kit

Attachments

• IMG_20200427_132032247.jpg
    IMG_20200427_132032247.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:

CarolineTyler

Legendary member
Changes I hope to make...
Rudder control
Separate servos for left and right ailerons
Removable wing
deck the bottom of the fuse
Battery going inside, not hanging on velcro

CarolineTyler

Legendary member
Supplied firewall is missing the side tabs which is supposed to lock it into the fuse... No big issue, I'll cut my own.
View attachment 167370
Or to be honest, I'll most likely 3D print one :)
I've been informed that this was actually a pre-production kit that was shipped in error (I had pre-ordered it) and offered a whole new kit in recompense.
Since it's just the firewall I said not to bother as I've already printed my own replacement.
So if you do order one yourselves you will get the correct firewall in it.

Excellent response and service from the company.

Last edited:

CarolineTyler

Legendary member
Wing and fuse built, also created some decking for the bottom.
Next to do is put the servos in the wings, with some lite ply doublers in for the ribs they will be attached to.
The wing will be removable, the battery will be installed by removing the wing and the ESC will go underneath.
The rudder will be hinged as I want this to be four channel.
Motor is a Sunnysky 2216 1250kv turning an 8x6 APC prop and powered by an 1800mAh 4S battery.
IMG_20200429_222501673.jpg

CarolineTyler

Legendary member
Progress so far...
Enlarged the underwing access hole, added a ply plate to the rear which will hold a captive bolt, and a 3D printed location plate to the front to stop the wing sliding laterally at the front.
IMG_20200502_153946869.jpg
Added a top plate to the rear of the wing for the wing hold-down bolt and the key to the location plate to the front underneath.
IMG_20200502_154017752.jpg IMG_20200502_154045101.jpg
Carved a piece of balsa block to secure the front of the wing.
IMG_20200502_154129336_HDR.jpg
Covered the feathers but totally mucked up the wing and will need to completely re-do that, when more covering comes in the post.
IMG_20200502_153704005_BURST000_COVER_TOP.jpg
Decided to locate the elevator servo under the horizontal stabiliser. The rudder will use the pre-made servo hole.
IMG_20200502_153847245.jpg

TooJung2Die

Master member
This is a trip! I think I've seen a Flite Test to balsa construction before but it was a one-off. I didn't know anyone was making kits. What are you covering it with? I wasn't very impressed with the tape covering in the build video although it is adequate for a beater airplane.

CarolineTyler

Legendary member
This is a trip! I think I've seen a Flite Test to balsa construction before but it was a one-off. I didn't know anyone was making kits. What are you covering it with? I wasn't very impressed with the tape covering in the build video although it is adequate for a beater airplane.
I'm using Oracover for this plane, I like the finish it gives. It's great the the Vintage Model Company have been able to team up with FliteTest to take the classic foamboard designs into balsa and up the build skills just a little. The Balsa Baron is not difficult, just a bit different and you have to take a little more care.
I have never liked my batteries dangling underneath held on my the velcro, much happier with the changes I'm making so far.

Last edited: