Solved A beginner question

Azariah

i Want to order a micro receiver for a project but I don’t know how to check if it’s compatible with the transmitter I have or if I’ll just have to buy a new transmitter

Azariah

I have one of those transmitters that comes with the little drones you can buy from from Walmart and I want to use it for a project but I don’t know if it’ll be compatible with any other receivers

jakexie6

I would say probably not. The firmware, protocol, etc. is pretty much proprietary for that specific brand or drone. Even if it is possible, it's probably not worth your time. Good luck!

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
Hey man welcome to the forums. That's a good question. @jakexie6 is right, the cheap drones you get from Walmart are usually programmed to only work with the specific model you purchased, but there are a few ways you can tell if you can set it up with other models.
1. Does the transmitter have a "bind" button to communicate with the receiver? It is usually a trigger button like a gaming controller. You may have to read the operators manual.
2. If it does have a bind button you will want to know what signal compatibility type it works with. It could be DSMX, DSMP, DSM2, or a combination of these or others as well. you will want to know which it is compatible with.
3. The receiver should be a separate unit from the rest of the electronics and if it is chances are if all 3 of these line up you will be able to make it work for other models.

Hope this helps, good luck!

Azariah

Hey man welcome to the forums. That's a good question. @jakexie6 is right, the cheap drones you get from Walmart are usually programmed to only work with the specific model you purchased, but there are a few ways you can tell if you can set it up with other models.
1. Does the transmitter have a "bind" button to communicate with the receiver? It is usually a trigger button like a gaming controller. You may have to read the operators manual.
2. If it does have a bind button you will want to know what signal compatibility type it works with. It could be DSMX, DSMP, DSM2, or a combination of these or others as well. you will want to know which it is compatible with.
3. The receiver should be a separate unit from the rest of the electronics and if it is chances are if all 3 of these line up you will be able to make it work for other models.

Hope this helps, good luck!
Thank you so much a really appreciate it. I think I’m going to just go with purchasing a new one because in the long run it’ll be worth it but again I really appreciate the help

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
Thank you so much a really appreciate it. I think I’m going to just go with purchasing a new one because in the long run it’ll be worth it but again I really appreciate the help
Yea you are definitely better off goin that direction

What's this project you want to get rollin

Azariah

Yea you are definitely better off goin that direction

What's this project you want to get rollin
I want to build a micro rc airplane, so small that it uses actuators Instead of servers. I’m still really new to the hobby, i built the ft simple cub and fell in love so I thought for my next project I would try a micro plane. But I still need to do a little more research before I’m ready to jump in to it because I don’t know How to read micro receivers enough to know what goes where as far as soldering the motor and actuators but thanks to you guys and the help I have been receiving from this forum, I think I will be able to do this

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
I want to build a micro rc airplane, so small that it uses actuators Instead of servers. I’m still really new to the hobby, i built the ft simple cub and fell in love so I thought for my next project I would try a micro plane. But I still need to do a little more research before I’m ready to jump in to it because I don’t know How to read micro receivers enough to know what goes where as far as soldering the motor and actuators but thanks to you guys and the help I have been receiving from this forum, I think I will be able to do this
A good micro plane to fly out of the box would be the Sport Cub S by HobbyZone. It has a whack load of beginner features, will bind to any transmitter and when you crash it enough it will have all the parts you need to transfer to another airframe. And it's only around $100. Check it out sometime, there are a ton of YouTube vids on it