A bigger stick

Sorry Guys, I've been a bit slack lately. Putting together a couple of ARF's for some mates who are about to learn to fly. Progress still happening though, just gotta remember to take the camera to the shed.

Well, I crashed my motorbike the other day so there's not much else I can do over the long weekend other than build...albeit at a reduced pace.....

Got the Fuse trued and covered. I used the doculam stuff so it's clear and hard to see but it's on.

Fuse covered.jpg

Also finished the LE wing dowels so the wing can actually be bolted on now.

Wing dowels.jpg

Might even get the wing covered this weekend.

glydr

How many letters do we ge
I hope you are ok after the accident. Obviously you aren't in hospital (anymore). Bike ok?

Stick is looking good. If you can cover with doculam you can cover with anything.

bicyclemonkey

Flying Derp
Mentor
Nice, Sticks fly awesome! I'm about to finish my balsa Slow Stick X, I need to throw up some pics soon. I hope to maiden tomorrow if the wind stays light.

Alright...so these broken ribs are slowing me down more than I'd like, but you get that. I got off pretty lightly, and so did the bike. It was a nearly a highside, so could've been far worse. Also lucky it was on one of the slower corners on the circuit.

Anyway the build must go on! So I've got the top and bottom centre sheeting done on the wing (that was waaay fiddlier than I had hoped), and the spar webs. So I just have to do the ply servo mounts and the wing is done, except for the ailerons, I've only done one of those so far.

So here are some pics
Top centre sheeting.JPG
Aileron.JPG

And a mock-up to keep me motivated.....yep, it's a stick!
mockup.JPG

glydr

Noice.

Circuit crash... no insurance! Bummer. My Uncle used to race a Ducati for fun, he has had a few accidents (and ribs) himself!

Yeah, bikes are a bit like that. Mine is just a little cheapie though ('86 BR250) I've souped it up a bit and it goes real good... when I stay on it. I only have 3rd party insurance and it's probably only got 2-300 bucks damage anyway. It's been a loooong time since I crashed so I can't really complain.

Anyway, the plane is coming along nice. I have the wing ready to cover, and both the ailerons are built up except for a little block to mount the control horns on, so all the covering SHOULD be done by the weekend. Then it might be worth a couple more pics.

Bicyclemonkey, where's the pics of your Slowstick?

That looks Great!!!
Love the colour scheme. Bet it flies great. I think a real slow electric floater like that is on the build horizon for me. Already planning my next build though which will be a vintage small FF glider converted to 2CH RC. Maybe after that.....

glydr

FROG glider?

G
who has a FROG wren wing half built

Last edited:
Exaclty!
I'm going to build the Frog "Vespa". I've started collecting bits and pieces for it and I'm in the Balsa Conversion Comp over on RC Groups, but I don't want to start building the airframe until I finish the stick, which should be soon!

So...why the unfinished wren?

glydr

My 9yo son had a sudden interest in building planes so we started building the wren together. By the time we finished the wing his interest moved elsewhere. Either I'll build it later or he might get interested again (or one of his siblings might want to finish it).

So the plane is now covered!!!
This is where the end is in sight and I start geting keen to see it fly.
Still have to hinge the ailerons, mount the U/C, Rudder & Elevator servos, control horns, paint.....umm...that's it!
Pretty happy with the laminating film. It's sooooo much cheaper than the "proper" stuff. Just sux you have to paint it.
So here are the pics. You cant really see the covering though 'cause it's clear, but it's there.

covered.JPG

Got the aileron servos screwed in too. I'll have to take them out again for painting though.

aileron servos.JPG

You bunch of dirty pervs'!

Haha, everyone wants it to stay naked! I don't think that it will be very good for orientation as is, so I'm definately going to paint it.....sorry.
Got a few wrinkles in the ailerons. More due to my bad design than bad covering technique or material. But it'll work.
Got the servos/receiver in place, pushrods done, I think now it just needs the undercarriage and some paint?

Here's the wing with all done with separate servos
wing controls.JPG

I'm also doing some electrickery experimenting with this plane. I now have one of them new fandagled 2.4GHz radios (ok it's the $30 Hobbyking radio) which has computery stuff inside, so I've set up a mix (well 3 actually) which will give me flaperons. So the theory is that I use channels 1 and 5 for ailerons and have them function as normal until I spin a knob which dials both ailerons down (or I can preset the knob and then flick a switch to activate) while still maintaining the differential movement when I move the Tx stick. That way I can dial the amount of "flaps" quite easily on the fly...pardon the pun.
So I should be able to slow it down nicely....we'll see.

Weighs in at 880g with the wheels and UC sitting on the scales as well, so all I'm missing is paint and a couple of screws......did I just say that out loud?
Pretty good for a 1180mm WS stick with a 2650maH 3-cell on board. Should float around easily.

Servos easily fitted.
servo install.JPG

nice straight run for the elevator.
elevator horn.JPG

Got wheels on!
Found some old school rubber wheels when I was rummaging around in the roof the other day. Perfect for the stick!
Unfortunately they are double the weight of the foam ones I actually bought for the stick, but they looked so much cooler, and I am loving older style stuff on RC planes lately so on they went!

got wheels.JPG

I'm was getting excited, but the weather forecast for the weekend put an end to that:(
And boy do I need to sweep the floor!