A challenge for myself.

CarolineTyler

Legendary member
I've a hakering to really challenge myself, try and build a fairly scale De Havilland Mosquito bomber.
Got a free plan for a 66 inch wingspan gasser made of light ply and foam blocks sanded which is then covered with glass fiber. The plans call for fully built-up wings too.
My initial thoughts are to do the fuse pretty much as the plan - doesn't look too difficult but instead of the fully built up wing, have a go at hot wire cutting it as the wing section doesn't change apart from size.
Of course I will make it electric not glow. Am I mad????
1548869637886.png

1548869687524.png

DamoRC

Elite member
Mentor
I've a hakering to really challenge myself, try and build a fairly scale De Havilland Mosquito bomber.
Got a free plan for a 66 inch wingspan gasser made of light ply and foam blocks sanded which is then covered with glass fiber. The plans call for fully built-up wings too.
My initial thoughts are to do the fuse pretty much as the plan - doesn't look too difficult but instead of the fully built up wing, have a go at hot wire cutting it as the wing section doesn't change apart from size.
View attachment 122996
View attachment 122997

Yep - mad as a brush! Go for it! Gonna be great.

quorneng

Master member
Should work fine but a DH fanatic would cringe at that fuselage construction. ;)
Make a long square wooden box, cover it in blocks of foam, sand it to shape and cover it with glass fibre.
Not exactly a constructional representation of the fully load bearing moulded ply/balsa/ply "shell" of the original.

FDS

Elite member
I was thinking about starting with the FT cruiser plans then modding them into a Mosquito.
Making mosquitos is always a good plan, go for it!

daxian

Elite member
go for it Caroline ....i have been experimenting with twin motors (mostly with the mini cruiser) and love the looks of the mosquito ....hmmmm might have a go myself for my next project,seeing as winter is here for a while yet !!!

SlingShot

Maneuvering With Purpose
Not mad at all. Back in the day, (maybe still), some ultra high quality kits would come with: molded fiberglass fuse and sheeted foam wings & h-stabs.

Plus, I like the idea of the fastest bomber. Fly it like a fighter!

Seahunter

View attachment 122996
View attachment 122997

Hi Caroline.
Nope, your not mad, just addicted. I love this project, I would like to try it myself. I'm currently building my first twin, a Cessna T-50 Bobcat from a drawing I downloaded from the internet, I posted a thread listing a link to Free Airplane profile drawings and mentioned it there (www.the-blueprints.com). Currently have version one almost built, working on power pods now, airframe is mostly completed. Plan to post more on it later. Go for this one and keep us posted. Fred

CarolineTyler

Legendary member
Hi Caroline.
Nope, your not mad, just addicted. I love this project, I would like to try it myself. I'm currently building my first twin, a Cessna T-50 Bobcat from a drawing I downloaded from the internet, I posted a thread listing a link to Free Airplane profile drawings and mentioned it there (www.the-blueprints.com). Currently have version one almost built, working on power pods now, airframe is mostly completed. Plan to post more on it later. Go for this one and keep us posted. Fred
That sounds a super project Fred. I made the mistake of falling down the rabbit hole of https://aerofred.com
:)

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
This is a great project! Not mad at all! :D

Just shout if you need help on the hot hot wire stuff. I've done a little in the past couple years, and can help get you pointed to people who actually know what they are doing with it too :p

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
TRAITOR! 😁😉

I think the project needs more props.. anything less the 4 is unworthy

I am sure you have already been watching the dusty triplets do their thing here as we all have.

Willsoman, Wilmracer, and Rockyboy are the resources to have on a project like this. Good luck and I will surely be keeping track of progress.

bracesport

Legendary member
how will you glass the wings?

I just realised we have a vacuum bag machine at work, so next time I am going to have a crack with that to see if the surface glasses up better than my recent foam and glass wing where the resin was just rolled on and sanded later. The result was pretty good but it was a lot of work.

IMG_4679.JPG IMG_4680.JPG

DamoRC

Elite member
Mentor
TRAITOR! 😁😉

I am sure you have already been watching the dusty triplets do their thing here as we all have.

Willsoman, Wilmracer, and Rockyboy are the resources to have on a project like this. Good luck and I will surely be keeping track of progress.

Dusty triplets - Nice :)

@CarolineTyler - I think the hot wire approach will be fun and a new skill to have. But if it's not working out, a regular foamboard folded wing should handle the 66 inch span easy enough (although it would be as cool at a hot wire cut wing)

CarolineTyler

Legendary member
TRAITOR! 😁😉

Oh I have a 140mm HD quad I'm working on too....using the Flywooo Ant frame and 1407 3600KV motors!

SlingShot

Maneuvering With Purpose
Dusty triplets - Nice :)

@CarolineTyler - I think the hot wire approach will be fun and a new skill to have. But if it's not working out, a regular foamboard folded wing should handle the 66 inch span easy enough (although it would be as cool at a hot wire cut wing)

@DamoRC A slick twin like the Mosquito would really suit the "loitering with style" kind of flying. Don't you think?

Seahunter

It would be real cool to put electric retracts on this one, I'm using E-Flite EFLG-100 on my T50, attached are photos of the mounts I cut from aircraft ply for the pods, they cycle flawlessly. The cowlings cut from plastic mayo jars. I rotated the gear to fold back instead of to the side, all you have to do is turn the strut so it lines up straight and file a new flat for the set screws. Just a suggestion. I did some research on the Mosquito and it was awesome. Visualize a low pass with the gear up :D:)

GOPR0493.JPG GOPR0492.JPG GOPR0490.JPG

CarolineTyler

Legendary member
It would be real cool to put electric retracts on this one, I'm using E-Flite EFLG-100 on my T50, attached are photos of the mounts I cut from aircraft ply for the pods, they cycle flawlessly. The cowlings cut from plastic mayo jars. I rotated the gear to fold back instead of to the side, all you have to do is turn the strut so it lines up straight and file a new flat for the set screws. Just a suggestion. I did some research on the Mosquito and it was awesome. Visualize a low pass with the gear up :D:)

View attachment 123168 View attachment 123169 View attachment 123170
Oh it just has to have retracts, and ones that take their time. It's a beautiful plane indeed. I hope I can do it justice.
This won't be a fast build. If it's ready for summer 2020, I will be happy :)

That's a beautiful plane you have there!

Last edited: