A convergence of Worlds

StrutMonkey

I was watching through the last few episodes of the last season for a second time and had an interesting idea. have you ever considered having a real meets RC episode? It hit me while i was watching the ripslinger episode again. you have runway.. with an apparently wonderful benefactor who is willing to let you use it. the airfield that you filmed that on is 1620 ft usable. that is easily enough space to get a c150 into and out of. (before you freak out, I'm a commercial pilot. so finding your field really was not that hard. www.airnav.com. Totally not stalking you :cool:)

my idea was this: If you had a buddy (Or Josh i remember you mentioning working on your private certificate) in a slower singe engine aircraft ( Piper Cherokee 150 or Cessna172 has the slow speed capabilities that you would need. both capable of flying as slow as 55 mph but will happily float along at 60mph very easily). This aircraft could either land there at the field or even overfly the field. you could your a combination of two transmitters in the 72 Mhz band both on the same channel as the receiver in the rc Aircraft. What would happen is the Fpv pilot would be in the back seat of the cessna with his headset on and one controller. the second controller would be operated by a second pilot on the ground flying line of sight. using the Common traffic advisory frequency and a hand held radio. you could communicate with the airplane and fly the fpv equipped RC aircraft to near the plane with the Fpv pilot in it. Then you turn off the transmitter on the ground and transfer control to the fpv pilot. then you would be free to fly fpv around the aircraft, or along side the aircraft.

the three things i think are key would be: if you can, a low wing aircraft would be easier to see the plane from. A total of three people need to be in the airplane. the pilot. the RC pilot. and a spotter. the spotter is to help the RC pilot keep orientation and reduce the work load of the pilot. and you would need a heavier faster RC model capable of cruising around 70-80mph.

I don't know if you have the ability to do this. but i guarantee you the footage would be amazing!!!

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
Amazing, but really bad form. Models are to avoid full scales at all cost -- so much so, fight operations usually cease at scale fly-ins if a full scale shows up.

What you're proposing may not seem that hazardous, but we do loose control at some of the worst times. If two scale models collide -- even the pricy ones -- it's only followed by a sinking feeling. I don't know anyone (or would fly with anyone) who doesn't hold dread at the thought killing someone with a model.

It'd be really cool footage, but it's just not worth the risk.

StrutMonkey

Amazing, but really bad form. Models are to avoid full scales at all cost -- so much so, fight operations usually cease at scale fly-ins if a full scale shows up.

What you're proposing may not seem that hazardous, but we do loose control at some of the worst times. If two scale models collide -- even the pricy ones -- it's only followed by a sinking feeling. I don't know anyone (or would fly with anyone) who doesn't hold dread at the thought killing someone with a model.

It'd be really cool footage, but it's just not worth the risk.

I do see your point. i was thinking of using the aircraft as more of a mobile platform for the FPV. i am by no means advocating formation flying with an actual aircraft. i agree that that would be very stupid. however, here is the scenario that was in my mind. a river run. the aircraft would fly over and "pick up" the fpv. then fly above and to one side of the aircraft. FAA law states that in undeveloped area or rural area an aircraft has to be 500 ft away from any man made object. so for example the Fpv aircraft my be flying down a river bed at 20-30 feet off the water, while the aircraft with the FPV pilot inside would be at 500-1000ft above, flying alongside the river keeping pace. So, as you might see, it would be impossible for the RC plane to affect the aircraft at all. the spotter would be able to use maybe a telescoping lens to get video or picture of the RC model from the plane.

i was not advocating using an RC plane to film a full scale plane in close formation.. i apologize for misleading

I am fairly new to Formal RC world etiquette and with my background in aviation, i have in fact done what is called a "flight" which is where two or more aircraft file a flight plan as one unit and fly as a group. this is both legal and safe with a good head on your shoulders. so having two aircraft in visual contact with one another is not a problem for me with the right spacing and boundaries like the ones i stated above. but your points are very valid and well received. do i make more since now?

Last edited:

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
Yeah, sorry if I came off harsh. Formation FPV flying with all models is pretty cool, I can see others thinking "why not with a real airplane" -- didn't mean to misunderstand you.

Sounds a lot like Golf cart flying, w/ FPV.

They've done that at this field, but not with an Aircraft that I know of . . . interesting idea . . .

StrutMonkey

Yeah, sorry if I came off harsh. Formation FPV flying with all models is pretty cool, I can see others thinking "why not with a real airplane" -- didn't mean to misunderstand you.

Sounds a lot like Golf cart flying, w/ FPV.

They've done that at this field, but not with an Aircraft that I know of . . . interesting idea . . .

meh, never apologize for safety. i would have had the same reaction if someone was advocating formation flying with a real plane!! after your first reaction i re read my post and did a :eek: because i realized what it sounded like.

FlyingMonkey

Bought Another Trailer
Staff member
Admin
They've done formation flying in flight with a model and full scale... in the hot air balloon episode.

tyoho

From a full scale heli

They've done formation flying in flight with a model and full scale... in the hot air balloon episode.

I seem to remember reading an article in some RC magazine, probably 30+ years ago, about someone going for a distance record RC flight by controlling his airplane while riding in a Bell Jet Ranger.

tramsgar

... What would happen is the Fpv pilot would be in the back seat of the cessna with his headset on and one controller. ... I don't know if you have the ability to do this. but i guarantee you the footage would be amazing!!!

What would happen would be that the FPV guy in the cessna would throw up, guaranteed... =þ Amazing idea though and maybe the footage too! =)