A Different Take on the FT Simple Scout

cbarnes0061

Per the request of a good friend I am drawing up a plane in CAD for him that is based around the FT simple scout. He wanted it to be balsa built up and we scaled up to fit around a 3-4S 2200mah setup. Currently the plane will have a 56" span and hopefully the weight will be around 50-55 ounces.

33FF6D01-F3F0-4B77-AEF3-C6C19C34498C.jpeg 580ED835-9492-475E-A4A8-B4C86BDB53D6.jpeg 842B44E7-10EF-4B85-BFD4-973C9AA5D56D.jpeg DC076204-6BAF-4196-B783-0FBD04956309.jpeg

cbarnes0061

This is as far as I have gotten in the course of two days working on it here and there. Hope to have it done in another week or so and files sent off to a laser cutting for and estimate on how much it will cost to cut it.

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
Wow - I LOVE this! :applause:

Designing in balsa is a long term goal of mine (I've done a couple foam designs) and if you're willing to share the files I'd love to give them a deep look, and get this into my project list too!

Tench745

Master member
I'm a little confused by what looks to be 1/16" x 3/4" balsa sheet behind your leading edge strip and at your trailing edge, along the chord centerline. What purpose do they serve? I don't know a whole lot about laser-cut kits, but they look pretty unnecessary to my eye, except maybe as an alignment aid?

Joker 53150

Mmmmmmm, balsa.
Mentor
For your leading edge you show 3/16” stock sanded to shape. Have you considered a stock size carbon fiber tube instead? It’s got a consistent shape and is considerably stronger.

cbarnes0061

Thanks for the interest guys.

Once the plans are done and a prototype has been built and proven then I will most likely release a pdf of the plans. If all goes well there might even be laser cut short kits available.

Yes on the le and TE there is a piece of 1/16” thick 3/4” wide balsa. It is designed to key into all the ribs. A buddy did this in his 3D profile design and it works great. The main spar is done the same exact way expect it is made from 1/8” balsa instead. Basically with those three pieces it keys everything together and you could build the whole wing without needing to lay it out on the plans. Just snap it together make sure it’s square and then hit all the joints with thin ca.

I had thought about going with a dowel or carbon tube for the le but the thickness of the wing my buddy choose to go with would have required me to use a tube around 3/8” OD and I felt that was to big and added to much wieght.

Silverdog

Subscribed! If the short kit makes it, you can put me down for one. Also, if you were to sell plans, I'd be more than interested. I've grown fond of my FT Scout and also would like to build one out of balsa or other materials. Designing planes and doing a model with the likeness of a current design sounds awesome, does one need permission from the owner of the original design? Just curious, as this is all above my head.

Tench745

Master member
Subscribed! If the short kit makes it, you can put me down for one. Also, if you were to sell plans, I'd be more than interested. I've grown fond of my FT Scout and also would like to build one out of balsa or other materials. Designing planes and doing a model with the likeness of a current design sounds awesome, does one need permission from the owner of the original design? Just curious, as this is all above my head.

I would say, no. This is a different enough iteration that it's no longer the same design. Besides that, the Scout was a smaller DTFB version of the Proctor Antic. I doubt FT got permission from Proctor to make the Scout.
All that aside, I doubt FT would say no to a balsa version.

cbarnes0061

I have made good headway on the design of this thing today. Been working through some details with a buddy. Should have some screen shots of my progress ready to post tomorrow.

cbarnes0061

96441D64-7C39-4667-8E38-E0689DF8373F.jpeg 6A01F470-857B-48C4-979C-FCAC227FD07E.jpeg

The progress I had mentioned. Tail surfaces are done and have provisions for flying wires built into them. Made a start on the fuse. Basically what you see in the tail will stay that way as my buddy wants it to be open frame work and plans to not cover this section on his to get that look he is going for.

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
Might try laying out a laminated balsa tail shape too, especially if he's looking for a transparent covering to let the beautiful framework show through. Something like 3 or 4 strips of 1/16" x 1/8" balsa, soaked in water then pinned into shape to dry - then add glue and pin back into shape for final.

The pieces built up from straight lines with weight relief holes work perfectly fine for strength too, it's just a different look option.

cbarnes0061

Yes I did think of that but my buddy I'm drawing this for is still relatively new to balsa building and this way everything keys together and fits perfect. I think he said he wants to covering his with fabric as well so there will already be a learning curve there for him.

Silverdog

I would say, no. This is a different enough iteration that it's no longer the same design. Besides that, the Scout was a smaller DTFB version of the Proctor Antic. I doubt FT got permission from Proctor to make the Scout.
All that aside, I doubt FT would say no to a balsa version.

Thank you for the reply. I hope you are right as I would love to build one of these. I'm getting a little on the old side and that has made me at times overly cautious (Paranoid!). Following along and man does it look nice.

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
Yes I did think of that but my buddy I'm drawing this for is still relatively new to balsa building and this way everything keys together and fits perfect. I think he said he wants to covering his with fabric as well so there will already be a learning curve there for him.

Good call - don't spring too many new and tricky things all in one a project :)

cbarnes0061

I promise this project hasnt falling by the wayside. Just swamped with school work right now and a two month old to take care of on my days off while my wife is at work.

Silverdog

I promise this project hasnt falling by the wayside. Just swamped with school work right now and a two month old to take care of on my days off while my wife is at work.

My wife and I raised three girls and two boys and I have the gray hair to prove it. However, I could not imagine tackling those responsibilities in the current times we live in and have any type of hobby. People are now more busy than ever or so it seems and kids top the list on busy. Thus, my hat is off to you sir! Things that get in the way are often referred to as life. And life happens whether we want it to or not. My simple rule is to enjoy the ride of life, because it doesn't last for all that long.

Best Regards