A dream about flitetest - remotly controlled RC plane challenge ;]

Airwolf

Yesterday I've been reading flitetest forum before falling asleep - result: I had a dream about flitetest. It was about an challenge episode, where flitetest guys setup the remotly controlled RC aircraft ;]

It worked like this:
Chad connected his Tx to the PC and thanks to some nifty software it was possible to take control over it through the Internet. Somehow I've been selected as a pilot and I connected my Tx to the PC so It could transmit control signals over the internet to Chad's Tx. Plane had and FPV setup installed and picture was streamed directly to the YouTube where I could watch it ;]
Everything worked like a charm, and I could fly this RC plane in the USA remotly from Poland - that's why this episode was called remotly controlled RC aircraft...

When I woke up - I was pretty convinced that this dream was real...

Anyway - I think it's pretty possible to complete this challenge - it would only require some basic software to packetize the trainer port signals from one end and send them throught some low-latency UDP protocol to the trainer port on the other end... even with higher latency network it shouldn't be a problem to control some slow-flying, stable aircraft... :)

colorex

Rotor Riot!
Mentor
Awesome dream-dea! It could work through Skype? Cause trainer port just emits soundwaves... however Skype is super laggy for that reason...

ananas1301

Crazy flyer/crasher :D
Very awesome idea! Would love to see this work in a episode. They might need to try it out first over the internet but the person controlling it should be from the team and very nearby...
Then when thats been working, just choose someone from their other side of earth! That would show how slow the internet is in comparison to what actually goes on in reality :D

but realllllyy good idea! love it!

colorex

Rotor Riot!
Mentor
The trainer port just emits soundpulses in different frequencies. You could just hook it up with a phone. The slave trainer port to the microphone on one end, and the headphone jack on the other end to the master trainer port. Done!

StoneKap

Executive Producer
Admin
Mentor
Yesterday I've been reading flitetest forum before falling asleep - result: I had a dream about flitetest. It was about an challenge episode, where flitetest guys setup the remotly controlled RC aircraft ;]

It worked like this:
Chad connected his Tx to the PC and thanks to some nifty software it was possible to take control over it through the Internet. Somehow I've been selected as a pilot and I connected my Tx to the PC so It could transmit control signals over the internet to Chad's Tx. Plane had and FPV setup installed and picture was streamed directly to the YouTube where I could watch it ;]
Everything worked like a charm, and I could fly this RC plane in the USA remotly from Poland - that's why this episode was called remotly controlled RC aircraft...

When I woke up - I was pretty convinced that this dream was real...

Anyway - I think it's pretty possible to complete this challenge - it would only require some basic software to packetize the trainer port signals from one end and send them throught some low-latency UDP protocol to the trainer port on the other end... even with higher latency network it shouldn't be a problem to control some slow-flying, stable aircraft... :)

I love this idea! I'll get the team on it and see if we can do something!

Pilot Scott

FLY LOW
I use to have ideas like this............except I wasn't asleep and the room was full of smoke and we were all hungry........is that the cops........

Awesome idea. Might borrow the code from that guys that allows people to remotely control his Christmas lights.

acmach5

I too love this (dream idea) Can't believe I never thought of it myself! That makes me glad I joined this forum though. We can all share our dreams and ideas here together. Side note, this is my first post on this forum ever! I'm excited to be here.

As far as making this dream a reality there is only one quick and easy but very expensive way I can think of. I'm just finishing up a build on a professional octocopter for commercial photography/video work. I'm using an expensive autopilot on this octo. I could add the waypoint map module and software and then log in using VNC from any computer or smart phone anywhere in the world and fly the thing using point and click or keyboard controls. I can't think of a practical use other than it would be amazing and fun to do it. The other nice thing would be if there were any connection problems its already stabilized and would land safely.

I know this is different than the idea of flying FPV with a trainer cord interface and that would ultimately be cooler. but I could make internet flight a reality if anybody wants to go in with me to try and make it a first if its never been done and documented by hobbyists before.