A few questions about dremel tools

Ketchup

4s mini mustang
So, I have a Dremel 4300 rotary tool, and I use it to cut most thicker wires and stuff, but I wanted to get something like a face shield to protect the rest of my face in case the cutting blade breaks. I checked amazon and didn’t find much, and then I went to Home Depot’s site and their only face shield is not sold in stores and out of stock online... What face shields do you guys recommend? Also, for cutting wooden parts like firewalls can I just use the router attachment and a router bit on the Dremel? I think that’s what it’s for...

eric75

Face shields will be sold out for a while because of the things presently happening in the news.

The protection is to keep debris from a bursting disk out of your eyes. I have felt safe enough using just a pair of safety glasses because the cut off wheel on a Dremel is pretty small. The important thing is that they don't leave wide openings around your eyes for stuff to get in.

Using bigger grinders with a face shield, I still wear safety glasses because debris bounces up under the shield. But they are nice to keep my skin from getting directly blasted with abrasive sparks.

I haven't used the Dremel router attachment. For straight cuts on thin plywood, you might want to use something that works more like a saw. Router bits don't work very well freehand, and the shaped Dremel cutting burrs are more for intricate carving.

Ketchup

4s mini mustang
Face shields will be sold out for a while because of the things presently happening in the news.

The protection is to keep debris from a bursting disk out of your eyes. I have felt safe enough using just a pair of safety glasses because the cut off wheel on a Dremel is pretty small. The important thing is that they don't leave wide openings around your eyes for stuff to get in.

Using bigger grinders with a face shield, I still wear safety glasses because debris bounces up under the shield. But they are nice to keep my skin from getting directly blasted with abrasive sparks.

I haven't used the Dremel router attachment. For straight cuts on thin plywood, you might want to use something that works more like a saw. Router bits don't work very well freehand, and the shaped Dremel cutting burrs are more for intricate carving.
Well, when I say face shield I mean the protective ones, not the medical ones. Are you sure that I don’t need one? Would I be okay if an abrasive disk breaks and a chunk hits my face? Also, the Dremel comes with an attachment that is like a shield, so does that work too.

Tench745

Master member
Dremel cut-off discs are pretty light. They spin fast, but unless you're working right up in your face I don't think a shattering wheel would have enough energy to break the skin. Safety glasses are a requirement for sure, and try to work so your face isn't in the line of fire if a wheel does shatter.

sprzout

Knower of useless information
Mentor
Well, when I say face shield I mean the protective ones, not the medical ones. Are you sure that I don’t need one? Would I be okay if an abrasive disk breaks and a chunk hits my face? Also, the Dremel comes with an attachment that is like a shield, so does that work too.

Face shields, PERIOD, are going to be tough to find right now due to the COVID-19 outbreak. People are looking for ANY sort of protection, even if it's meager.

You can try to make your own face shield if you have a 3D printer, but some of the raw materials are tough to get your hands on.

As for potentially breaking the skin, well...Why do dentists wear face shields when working on someone's teeth and doing drilling? Stuff gets thrown up from it, and it can get all over your skin or potentially hurt. I used to cut out pieces of emu and ostrich eggs with a Dremel tool for a friend of the family - she would decorate them and sell them as "faux Faberge eggs" - they were really intricate works of art, and she made a good living selling them. Well, I had several pieces of egg get thrown up into my face, and on occasion, I'd end up with a scratch or two - and that was with an eggshell.

With high enough velocity and pressure, anything can cut you. A broken Dremel cutoff wheel might or might not have enough force to cut you - but ultimately, do you want to take the chance? I'd honestly say it's better to be safe than sorry.

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
I just use safety glasses. I do keep my face out of the line of fire.
I have had a broken cutoff wheal hit my hands, which are much closer to the action. Never had any problems.
There are 2 thickness of cutoff wheals, I use the very thin & fragile, regular cutoff wheals, not the heavy duty ones. The regular ones are easy to break but don’t carry much momentum. If you broke a heavy duty one, they would carry far more momentum.

Ketchup

4s mini mustang
Face shields, PERIOD, are going to be tough to find right now due to the COVID-19 outbreak. People are looking for ANY sort of protection, even if it's meager.

You can try to make your own face shield if you have a 3D printer, but some of the raw materials are tough to get your hands on.

As for potentially breaking the skin, well...Why do dentists wear face shields when working on someone's teeth and doing drilling? Stuff gets thrown up from it, and it can get all over your skin or potentially hurt. I used to cut out pieces of emu and ostrich eggs with a Dremel tool for a friend of the family - she would decorate them and sell them as "faux Faberge eggs" - they were really intricate works of art, and she made a good living selling them. Well, I had several pieces of egg get thrown up into my face, and on occasion, I'd end up with a scratch or two - and that was with an eggshell.

With high enough velocity and pressure, anything can cut you. A broken Dremel cutoff wheel might or might not have enough force to cut you - but ultimately, do you want to take the chance? I'd honestly say it's better to be safe than sorry.
Ok... so face shield or just safety glasses for now. I will be getting a face shield at some point, but I need to make a cut and I would prefer to do it soon. Also, as I said earlier there is a Dremel attachment that is basically a shield, and it goes around the blade enough to cover me from any shattered pieces. Would that work?

nhk750

Aviation Enthusiast
I have had the Dremel grinders and saw blades blow up in my face with safety glasses on and no damage to my face as the pieces just bounce off your skin, but I do recommend safety goggles or fully side shielded safety glasses to keep the debris out of the eyes.

Tench745

Master member
I've never had a tool with the shield you're referring to, but if it doesn't get in the way of what you're doing use it. Definitely wear safety glasses. I've never found it necessary, but if you want a face shield, get one; it's your body and you know what level of safety you'll feel comfortable with.
With one exception that I know of, just about all face shields are the same; a band around the head and a sheet of plastic attached to it. I've yet to find one that was more or less comfortable than any other.
The one visor style that is different is linked below, but out of stock. I have no experience with it, but Adam Savage likes it.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00PYZSMII/?tag=lstir-20

nhk750

Aviation Enthusiast
Im a mechanic, so I have had many things blow up in my face, even full size grinder heads on a Dewalt grinder and so far nothing has penetrated my skin, but has left bruises. Maybe I'm like that guy in the movie "Unbreakable"?

Piotrsko

Master member
The router attachment is almost as good as a rotozip, just lighter duty and slower feeds. You could bolt it to a 3d printer for diy CNC

DIY face shield: piece of 1/32 clear plexiglass/acryllic about 12 x 18 with a piece of pool noodle across one edge attached to ones forehead with shoelace around your head. Could use duct tape, but that's painful to remove

Ketchup

4s mini mustang
Head coverings will be in high demand for a while due to recent events in the press.

The goal of the shield is to keep flying pieces of a disc from getting into your eyes. A Dremel's cut off wheel is quite small, so I've felt secure enough wearing simply a pair of safety glasses. It's crucial that they don't leave significant gaps around your eyes that could be used by objects to enter.

I still wear safety glasses while using larger grinders with a face shield since debris bounces up under the shield. However, they are useful in preventing abrasive sparks from being sent directly into my skin.

The Dremel router attachment has not been utilised by me. You might wish to use a straightedge for thin plywood straight cuts.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00PYZSMII/?tag=lstir https://thediyinfo.com/dremel-200-vs-3000-which-is-better/?fbclid=IwAR3tIiTdNwdz4OqMMcNgCmSWvT6DZ6-YiaczCMh4-KuieNb9s89aRxDpXYU
Thanks for all the tips
In the last couple years since starting to use my dremel, I have come to the same conclusion that the cutoff wheels are quite small and not hugely harmful. These days I will just wear safety glasses and maybe a jacket as protection.
Also, in the last two years I have discovered the wood cutting disks that dremel makes, so I am no longer using a router bit for cutting firewalls (I tried using it once and it was quite scary since I had no clue what I was doing lol)

Hondo76251

Legendary member
20220706_064143.jpg