A happy dilemma

earthsciteach

During my daily morning phone conversation with my wife as we drive to our jobs, she asked me that glorious question, "What would you like for your birthday?" I don't know that I have an answer!

For whatever reason, there isn't a single airplane on the market that I have that, "gotta have it," feeling. The closest thing is the Flyzone Beaver. I don't want to waste this golden opportunity to acquire more rc airplanes and related stuff.

Help me out, guys! What do I "want" for my birthday? :)

jetpackninja

More combat please...
Mentor
hahahaha- Andre's right.
With your interest in doing AP and FPV, I'd go for a Grim Reaper or a Deep Reaper.
They are fun to fly and big enough to use for FPV.
And if it takes you a while to get some FPV gear, you will most likely not tear it up too bad for when your gear arrives :)

earthsciteach

Well, I do have the Assassin. And, the fpv wing I'm building is waaaayyyy cooler looking!

Honestly, I'm not that interested in flying fpv. I'm more interested in building REALLY good airframes for fpv. I've caught the design/build bug. I haven't flown much at all, recently.

I do really like the Beaver. Plus, what could be better than telling my wife, "I want a new beaver for my birthday?" ;)

PaulT

Mentor
Take the plunge to the dark side, Luke...
Get her to order the bits and pieces for an H Quad...:cool::eek:

earthsciteach

Muuuuwaaaahhh haaaa haaa haa haaaa...

Just trying my evil laugh on for size. A quad would be an interesting project. And, it would push my understanding of electronics, I guess.

Hmmm... I wonder how a quad edf would do?

earthsciteach

Attachments

• CMP-081-Piper-L4-Kit-2.jpg
    CMP-081-Piper-L4-Kit-2.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 46

earthsciteach

Oh, I figured you'd weigh in, soon enough, Thurmond. You and your evil multi-rotor pushing ways...

Do you even own a fixed wing aircraft, you Sith Lord of the quad copter!

Tritium

Amateur Extra Class K5TWM
Oh, I figured you'd weigh in, soon enough, Thurmond. You and your evil multi-rotor pushing ways...

Do you even own a fixed wing aircraft, you Sith Lord of the quad copter!

Now your just trying to get on my good side with compliments aren't you? :p

I own several fixed wings. 2 commercial models (HawkSky and a Tower Hobbies P-51) and the rest are scratch built foamies of RC Powers design and Experimental Airlines design.

Oh, and the Hawk Sky fixed wing has been "fixed" on multiple occasions. Lesson learned, "Don't buzz the cattle at low altitude".

Thurmond

bicyclemonkey

Flying Derp
Mentor
Go for the Grasshopper, it'll dress up nicely with a dummy engine for the cowl. That'll run on a 4s with either a .32 or .46 electric motor.

earthsciteach

Thurmond, I don't trouble myself with the juxtaposition of my love for a white-faced, red cow and the deliciousness of a fine steak cooked over my fire pit. One reinforces the other.

BM - Thank you for being a voice of reason among these tech-head geeks.

lobstermash

Propaganda machine
Mentor
I reckon don't get an aeroplane, but get the Fatshark Predator V2 RTF and a set of ImmersionRC antennas. You say you don't really want to fly fpv, but I can guarantee you'll rediscover that same thrill you got when you first started flying los.

And your classes will think it's the coolest thing in the world and want to learn all about radiowaves.

bicyclemonkey

Flying Derp
Mentor
No problem, I prefer a nice large balsa plane. I started with ARF's and I find myself wanting to go other direction than the multi-rotor/high-tech end...I'm wanting to start building balsa kits...like the Balsa USA 1/3 scale Sopwith Pup!!!

That Grasshopper will be a nice flyer!

earthsciteach

Lobster - a man can only tackle so many passions at one time.

BM - I have a Guillow's Super Cub that is built to the point that its ready for micro rc components. I built it so long ago that I literally don't remember building it. I think I am going to build 2 more fpv wings - one for Pilot294 and one for me. But, I really want to get to the 60" Grumman Goose scratchbuild that is my next project.