A hard, hard lesson learned. Don't leave stuff out on a nice day...

Jerry

Ladies and gentlemen,

I learned the hard way in this beautiful Memorial Day that any opportunity Murphy may have, he will take full advantage of. I left my T8FG Super and Fatshark Attitude goggles out for a minute, then proceeded to continue on my way on this beautiful St. Louis afternoon. Well, it rained and I didn't think about it until I pulled up and saw my equipment soaked. It is now sitting on the ac vent, hopefully drying out over the next few days. If not, I am out about $700.00. Hopefully I got lucky.

Lessons learned?
Murphy wins. Be careful. Take your stuff in EVERY TIME! Especially in the midwest. Spot showers are the ne of the game here.

Skeetpf

This may work.... I dropped my cell phone in the deep end of a pool. It was submerged for over 5 minutes. After retrieving it , I put it in a bag of rice. After a few days it was as good as new

Last edited:

Epitaph

Ebil Filleh Pega-Bat ^.^
Mentor
The bag of rice trick works well, but better still of you can open up the equipment to get the rice inside the circuitry. I did this once to my then new Sony CMD J5 phone when it fell in the pool and I didn't notice until about 10 minutes later... left it a few days in the rice then turned it on with fingers crossed and workd for 14 months! What I did wrong was not clean it out with distilled water, and the chlorine eventually took to it. Rain water in your case shouldn't be so much a problem as technically it is partially distilled, but if you do want to clean it out it wouldn't go a miss...

Good luck!

Jerry

Thanks for the advice guys! I ran to the grocery store and bought almost all of their whit rice, bulk bags. Now the transmitter and glasses are disassembled and sitting in a five gallon bucket filled to the top in the stuff. Cross your fingers. If they do work again I wonder if they will be able to be trusted again.

Epitaph

Ebil Filleh Pega-Bat ^.^
Mentor
They shouldn't give any problems if they work again... you should be able to trust them no problem. Just have some patience, and get some soy sauce ready for the rice when you're finished :D

It might be an idea if you want to be on the safe side if once it is working again to contact Hobbico and explain what happened to them and what you have done to fix it to see if they would just revise the transmitter for you if you want peace of mind, but it shouldn't be needed

Good luck!

Jerry

Everyone,

Thank you so much for the advice and suggestions. It turns out this lesson has a somewhat happy ending thus far. I did the rice trick, then pulled them out and put them into an ammo box with silica gel and damprid. I tried my transmitter yesterday to no avail, BUT, my goggles appeared to be fine. After my transmitter failed, I boxed it up to send to Futaba. On a wild hair, I opened my package tonight and plugged in the battery...IT WORKS!!!

I have yet to try all the features as I am fully charging the battery now. Tomorrow after work we will go through a full function check and range test. Cross your fingers for me!

Through all the stress and now the joys of the hour one thing still remains clear: don't take any chances; shelter your components as best as you can from weather and dishonest individuals if you must leave it unattended.

Epitaph

Ebil Filleh Pega-Bat ^.^
Mentor
Congratulations on this, I bet you gave one hell of a shout of joy when it all worked! Good luck with all the tests and everything!

And bon apetite with the rice!:D