A horrid vision popped into my head this morning

earthsciteach

I'd definitely have to call it the Quad-Coffin. Thankfully, after sketching it out I see that it is just another flying abomination. I hope its all out of my system now.

Oh, the front view sketch looks way cooler. uh-oh...
View attachment 7348

Attachments

• Quad coffin.jpg
    Quad coffin.jpg
    132.2 KB · Views: 80

IamNabil

I actually cut out a template of something similar earlier this year, and made it so far as to start tracing it onto wood, before I realized that my easy angles and straight cuts were shaped exactly like a coffin.

earthsciteach

Andre, I'll have you know that I DID refinish this table years ago. Now, it serves as my RC work table. Too bad its still our kitchen table. My wife gets cranky about that.

con244

Andre, I'll have you know that I DID refinish this table years ago. Now, it serves as my RC work table. Too bad its still our kitchen table. My wife gets cranky about that.
Don't get women myself, if you were out chasing women all over the place they'd get cranky about that as well. They should be happy you are happy to be at home damaging the furniture. Con

Tritium

Amateur Extra Class K5TWM
coffin_tri.jpg

Great minds think alike?

Congratulations padawan, you have begun your journey to the allure of the "Dark Side"!

Bwaahaaaahaaaahaaa!

Thurmond

earthsciteach

So, how does this whole thing work? I mean, what does the KK board do? Obviously, it translates throttle, rudder, elevator and aileron controls into motor speed control. But, is it more than that? What is the dark secret behind the control board?

lobstermash

Propaganda machine
Mentor
Lobster - why can't they make them look cooler?

That's the beauty of it! You can make your own canopy however you want it. I'm rather fond of my sad orange bug though...

The control board also constantly corrects for variations in lift using the gyros, so that it doesn't suddenly flip if one motor flies over a protruding object. Without the stabilisation, you'd only be able to fly well away from any object that may generate ground effects.

earthsciteach

Don't try to muddy the waters with true statements. :p Modern fighter jets are inherently unstable in order to maximize maneuverability. Multi-rotors are inherently unstable, but need to be stable for silly things like aerial video.

Now, HK has a variety of controller boards. What makes the KK2.0 so popular among the nerdy multi-rotor crowd?

Tritium

Amateur Extra Class K5TWM
These joys of technology are available cheaply due to the mass production of the parts (Gyros, Accelerometers, Pressure sensors, GPS receivers, Electronic Compasses etc.) for use in Smart Phones, I-Devices, Android devices and Wii controller devices. Thanks to some dedicated Techno-wizards that see the world in code (off the wall reference to "The Matrix) these devices all come together in a single almost magical, electromechanical implementation that uses complex control algorithms to sense motion in six axis's using Gyro's and Accelerometers (and sometimes many other sensors as in the case of ArduPilot) to determine relative location, level and direction of travel so that the correct signals will get to the correct motor at the correct instant in time to produced the desired movement commanded by the "Pilot/Operator". This is about as close to the Jetson's and Star Trek that it gets for the common man today. :cool:

KK2 is easy to use and VERY good at allowing precise control over the craft it is installed on while allowing the more technically inclined to alter settings to precisely match the flight characteristics of the frame and motor / esc combination and even hack the code to improve it.

confused.png
Let me sum it up: Multirotors are the Di-lithium Crystals where Science and Science Fiction meet and mix thoroughly transmuting the dreams of a new generation of amateur scientist into a powerful reality.

Thurmond

Last edited: