• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

A How To On Changing Over To A Steerable Tailwheel or Nose Wheel

Will there be any videos that will have and demonstrate how to build a steerable nosewheel or tailwheel on any of the planes? I would like to build a plane that will be able to steer the plane rather than just a straight ahead direction. Possibly a video on how to convert planes to become steerable. A few people have already done this on their videos but did not show how they converted their plane. I have many possiblities in mind but not sure just how to proceed. Many thanx. :confused:

Baron

pgerts

Old age member
Mentor
lesson2-400.JPG
There is actually no need for a steerable tailwheel to control the plane on the ground.
As soon as you apply som power the tail will move with the rudder if there is a wheel or just something else.
Both planes in the pictures below will taxi on the ground equally well.
100_0132-500.JPG 100_0135-500.JPG

earthsciteach

I assume you are talking about steering on the ground. Best advice - take your ideas and try them! Pgert's post shows the easiest way. Just connect your tailwheel to your rudder on a tail dragger. For tricycle gear, use a control rod and control horn to steer the wheel with the same servo you use on the rudder. You'll just have to add an extra control rod.

Thank you earthsciteach. Pgerts thanx for your insight but it is unacceptabe for what I am looking for. For a tighter turn a steerable nosewheel will always be superior. Your comment (There is actually no need for a steerable tailwheel to control the plane on the ground.
As soon as you apply som power the tail will move with the rudder if there is a wheel or just something else. Both planes in the pictures below will taxi on the ground equally well.)
is well taken and I do thanx you for it.

Last edited: